I always tailor my tutoring to each student and am aware that we all learn at different levels and speeds and so I aim to differentiate work depending on the needs of the individual. I also ensure I am fully aware of the requirements of each exam board before tutoring begins. It is extremely important to me to motivate and push students to achieve the best they possibly can, often beyond what they think they are capable of. I also dedicate time to effective revision techniques so that each student can revise wisely.
My name is Darran, and I have a history of supporting students in Science and Music for the past 10 years. I love working with students one to one in the comfort of their own homes or at an alternative location as I feel they can benefit a lot more and learn a lot more from one on one tutoring with the focus entirely on them.
My academic background has afforded me the knowledge of both science and music to a level that allows me to find new and exciting ways to inspire and motivate students to achieve the very best.
SCIENCE TEACHER, WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL
• Create daily lesson plans and learning activities for students based on national, local and school standards in science education and research and knowledge of developmental behaviours.
• Deliver high-quality, engaging instruction in the form of discussion, direct teaching, demonstrations and independent practice using a variety of proven methods.
• Differentiate lessons when needed to give all students access to the curriculum regardless of disability, instructional level, English proficiency or level of interest in the subject.
• Evaluate student performance on tasks established by the standards using different methods such as observation, performance-based tasks or other standard test practices.
• Maintain a safe, orderly and supportive classroom by modelling expected behaviour and standards, promoting positive interactions and quickly addressing behaviours that are not in line with the school discipline plan.
• Communicate with parents regarding student progress, potential and behaviour periodically through phone or electronic means and at parent and teacher conferences.
• Improve skills and knowledge in teaching by regularly taking classes, attending workshops and discovering new methods of delivering exciting content to students.
SENIOR BARISTA/MANAGER, THE ESPRESSO LOUNGE; TRING, HERTFORDSHIRE - 2016–2017
Responsible For: Cash Handing and End of Day Banking, Maintaining Quality Customer Service, Dealing with Queries and Complaints in Person and via Phone, Management and Deployment of the Front of House Staff, Maintaining Coffee Quality and Excellence, Driving Sales Exceed Daily and Weekly Targets
EDITORIAL INTERN, SONGLINES MAGAZINE; BRIXTON, LONDON - 2016–2017
Responsible For: Writing Reviews and Articles, Editing and Researching for Reviews and Articles, Metadata and Archival Inputting, Assisting in Day-To-Day Publishing Work, liaising with all Magazine Departments to Ensure Publishing Date
Achievements: Multiple Articles Published in both Songlines Magazine and Gramophone Magazine
BARISTA MAESTRO, COSTA COFFEE (MBCC FOODS); DUBLIN (IRELAND) - 2007–2016
Responsible For: Management of 12 Staff, Deployment and Time Management, Maintaining Quality Customers Service, Handling Complaints and Queries Efficiently and Effectively, Customer Relations Officer for the Store, Ordering and Regulation of Stock, Training of New Staff Members for all Stores Across Ireland, Involved in the Maintaining of Costa Coffee Ireland on Social Media along, Analysis and Tracking of Club Cards Rewards
UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON – PGCE (SECONDARY EDUCATION) - 2018-2019
Modules Included: Dealing with Workload, Behaviour Management, Communication, Delivering the Curriculum, Pedagogy, Current Research in Education
CITY, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON – MA IN MUSIC (MASTERS IN MUSIC, DISTINCTION) - 2016-2017
Modules Included: Interdisciplinarity, Critical Readings, Researching Music in Contemporary Culture
Achievements: School of Arts and Social Science Postgraduate Scholarship 2016
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN — BMUS (BACHELOR OF MUSIC DEGREE, 1ST CLASS HONOURS) - 2013-2016
Modules Included: Moral Philosophy, Ancient Greece and Roman Culture, Mythology, Musics of the World, Film Music, Formal Analysis, Popular Music, Ethnomusicology
• Achievements: Patrick Semple Medal and Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Performance 2014, My Dissertation was selected as the sole application from the Music department at UCD for the CHMHE Undergraduate Musicology Competition
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN — BSC (BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE, 2:1) - 2006-2010
Modules Included: Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Environmental Biology, Microbiology, Zoology, Computer Science, Forensic Anthropology
FIRHOUSE COMMUNITY COLLEGE – LEAVING CERTIFICATE (EQUIVALENT OF A-LEVELS) - 2001-2006
Biology (A), Music (A), Maths (B), English (B), Art (B), Irish (C), French (C)
BREAST CANCER CARE UK VOLUNTEER ASSISTANT AND FUND RAISER, BRIGHTON, EAST SUSSEX - April 2018
PIETA HOUSE VOLUNTEER ASSISTANT AND FUND RAISER, DUBLIN (IRELAND) - June – July 2018
GREAT PINK RUN VOLUNTEER, DUBLIN (IRELAND) - August – October 2015
DSPCA VOLUNTEER ASSISTANT, DUBLIN (IRELAND) - June – August 2013, 2014
• Excellent computer user on both Mac and PC - including Office Suite, Adobe Lightroom, and Sibelius
• Interpersonal and Intrapersonal skills
• Strong numeracy skills
• Initiative skills
• Highly adaptable to new situations and conditions
• Driven to perform my very best in all situations
• Positive and outgoing attitude
• Professional work ethic – always punctual and with a good attitude
• Strong researching, problem solving, and critical thinking skills with the ability to grasp new concepts quickly and efficiently
• Keen reader of all genres from classical to modern
• Interest in film culture and history of Hollywood – currently working on podcast and blog
• Classical guitarist who plays and writes my own music
• Regular contributor to Songlines Magazine and Film Score Monthly
• Advocate of a healthy lifestyle and enjoy running cooking
• Regular Gamelan performer
• Tabletop Gaming
biology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£30||£30||Not available|
|5 hours||£120||£120||Not available|
|10 hours||£240||£240||Not available|