My teaching would be tailored to the individual. In our first session we will set out your objectives and goals to understand your needs and set up a plan to get the most out of our sessions. It is strongly advised that any learning materials, exam papers, etc are available to me so I can target the learning to your needs.
I am an Incorporated Engineer, specialising in Nuclear and Marine Engineering. I hold a Bachelors in Engineering having read Civil Engineering and a Post Grad in Nuclear Reactor Technology and a Masters in Engineering Project Management. I have experience in providing tuition for engineering students and happy to help across a broad range of subjects. Please get in touch to find out more.
Travel costs will vary depending on the distance.
MSc Engineering Project Management Distinction University of Portsmouth 2020
PGDip Nuclear Reactor Technology Distinction Cranfield University 2015-2016
Atomic & Nuclear Physics, Chemistry, Nuclear Safety Management, Accident Studies, Health Physics, Radiation Protection, Reactor Dynamics, Reactor Engineering, Reactor Materials, Reactor Physics, Psychosocial Impact of Nuclear Emergencies.
BEng Civil Engineering 2:1 University of Glasgow 2007-2011
Structural Analysis and Design, Finite Element Analysis, Geotechnical Engineering, Water Engineering, Traffic Engineering, Environmental Impact Assessment, Planning and Estimating, Study on Public Risk Perception Concerning the Nuclear Power.
Project Management, Leadership, Stakeholder Management, Personnel Development and Welfare, Pressurised Water Reactors, Nuclear Emergency Planning, Steam Systems and Turbines, Marine Systems, High Pressure Air and Hydraulic Systems, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Plant Chemistry, Environmental Management, Damage Control and Firefighting, Nuclear Emergency Planning, AutoCAD, MS Office.
Project Support Manager Royal Navy Jan 19-Present
• Project managing multimillion pound projects critical to national security.
• Conducting critical path analysis, risk mitigation, resource allocation and financial management.
• Provide SME input for submarine engineering assets and in particular the nuclear steam raising plant.
• Overseeing the delivery of engineering support to submarines.
• Provision of MOD supply chain requirements and monitoring service performance.
• Control of Dockyard Port operations and supporting activities conducted at the waterfront, nuclear facilities and utilities at HMNB Clyde.
• Providing the key link with Babcock Marine, the primary provider of engineering support to the base, by the provision of policy and priorities.
• Line manager and 1RO to SRs.
• Stakeholder management. Presenting and chairing at co-ordination and steering meetings.
Assistant Marine Engineering Officer Royal Navy Oct 16-Jan 19
• Cat A1 Nuclear Supervisor – Senior Marine Engineering Watchkeeper during critical operations alongside and at sea. Responsible for the supervision of the live Nuclear Plant and Propulsion Systems. Excess of 200 critical days conducted as Nuclear Plant Supervisor. Conducted live plant drills and simulator training. Successfully qualified in all subordinate positions.
• Section Officer – Leading a Section of up to 34 Technicians. Overseeing the section administration, equipment maintenance and defect management and repair. Ensuring maximum availability of section equipment for operational capability and reporting directly to Command on all operational and safety inhibiting defects. Covering the full operational phases of the Submarine, during Base Maintenance Periods (including docking periods), Operational Training, Deterrent Patrols and Re-generation/Planning periods.
• Divisional Officer – Ensuring the welfare and professional development of technicians within my section. Providing appraisal and feedback. Ensuring delivery and development of pastoral care, motivation, morale, teamwork, personal development and recreation.
• Engineering Officer of The Day – Head of Department representative during shutdown operations. Owner of the material state of the Submarine, Reactor, Submarine and personnel safety, safe systems of work. Act as the command advisor on all engineering matters and in the event of an emergency.
• Attack Party Leader – Leading all Damage Control and Firefighting efforts at the scene of the incident for Emergencies onboard the Submarine. Coordinating and directing the firefighting and repair teams in any incident and providing a direct link of communication for command in order to ensure maximum operational capability and submarine safety.
• Whole Ship Environmental Manager – Subject matter expert and advisor to command for the management of all matters pertaining to external environmental impacts.
• Montreal Protocol Manager – Responsible for overseeing the management, use and reporting losses of refrigerant gases onboard the Submarine.
• Hover Officer – Responsible for the operation and maintenance of Hover and Missile Compensation. Leading Officer for Action Hover Teams during Strategic Launch.
Marine Engineer Specialist Training Royal Navy Apr 14-Oct 16
• Assistant Marine Engineering Officer Training – Achieved Submarine Qualification and Category B & C NNPP watchkeeping qualifications. Achieved Category A watchkeeping qualification on completion of successful Simulator and Oral Board Examination.
• Vanguard Class Submarine Systems Phase 2 - Study of Primary Mechanical and Electrical Propulsion Systems. Study of Operation and Philosophy of Naval Nuclear Propulsion Plant. Undertook simulator training and assessments.
• Naval Reactor Course – Masters level taught Post Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Reactor Technology.
• Initial Assistant Marine Engineering Officer Training – Individual training onboard operational Submarine to achieve Basic Submarine Qualification and Category D and C NNPP watchkeeping qualifications.
• Vanguard Class Submarine Systems Phase 1 – Study of Secondary Mechanical and Electrical Propulsion Systems, Ship’s Systems, Electrical Generation and Distribution Systems. Simulator training and assessments.
• Marine Engineering Systems – Study of Ship and Submarine Marine Engineering systems. Propulsion Systems, Hydraulic Systems, Compressed Air Systems, Refrigeration Systems, Electrical Engineering, Motors and Generators, Turbines, Diesel Engines, Steam Systems, Control Systems.
Executive Officer Assistant Royal Navy, HMS Queen Elizabeth Jan-Apr 14
Supporting the 1st Lieutenant, Commanders and Captain of the Aircraft Carrier during the latter stages of the platform’s build. Liaising with high ranking public and military figures, foreign and domestic. Hosting, coordinating and directing visits to the vessel.
STOM Watchkeeper Royal Navy Oct-Dec 13
Directing communications to 3 Commando Brigade’s 539 Assault Squadron Royal Marines and other task group platforms, as part of COMUKTG during COUGAR 13. Key team member in the deployment and direction of amphibious forces from HMS Bulwark.
Initial Officer Training Royal Navy Feb-Oct 13
Continuous Professional Development
Achieved Marine Engineer Charge Qualification and recommendation for Deputy Marine Engineering Officer following Oral Board Examination in May 2018. Achieved incorporated engineer status and an MSc in Engineering Project Management in 2020. Member of AI special Interest Group within the Royal Statistics Society.
Snowboarding, Football, Golf, Tennis & Travel.
Perfect! Murray is both knowledgeable academically and as a practised engineer, providing an extremely good tutoring service.
engineering lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest mechanical engineering lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, civil engineering lessons for all!
Taking electrical engineering lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£40||£30|