Lessons are built around the student's personal strengths and weaknesses with a focus on supporting weaker areas to gain those vital extra marks. After a discussion on what the student finds difficult and would like help with, we start from first principles and build confidence and knowledge from examples we work through together. I will be acting as a guide as the student gains experience and confidence solving problems they were previously unable to do.
Exercises include everything from visual proofs done by the pupil to show why formulae are used, real world examples to help with the implementation of mathematical methods and even to more classical book work/past papers. Lessons taking over an hour normally include a short 5 minute break to help with the quality of work and productivity.
I have been tutoring for the past 3 years working one to one with pupils of all skill levels. Alongside this I have worked in multiple schools and academies to provide extra help in lessons. With a 2 hour session every Saturday we were able to improve one girls grade from an E to a C in just under 12 weeks.
This past year I have been working in Crown Woods Academy in London supporting their maths department with year 10 and 11 students who were below a grade 4. By the end of the winter term the work ethic had vastly improved in my group of 8 with one student going so far as to say "can't I have you every lesson". Their most recent mocks have come back with 5 grade 4s and 3 grade 3s ahead of their exams this year.
Lessons taking place outside of High Wycombe will have an additional £5 cost for travel. This charge will be notified ahead of a second lesson after the first free meeting.
I am a confident, logical, team player who is looking for somewhere that gives me a chance to utilise my skill set and continue to improve on it. I am always looking for new opportunities and ways to challenge myself.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
University of Greenwich – 3rd year overall (First) including Linear Algebra and Applications, Statistical Methods and Time Series Analysis, Operational Research for Industry, Numerical Mathematics and Partial Differential Equations.
The Highcrest Academy - A Level Maths (A), Further Maths (B), Chemistry (B), AS level Physics (B), equivalent to 144 UCAS points as of May 2018 2016
During my studies of further mathematics extenuating circumstances meant that I did not have a teacher. As such the class of me and 2 others taught ourselves while attending online lessons once a week. This meant I had to learn initiative and time management to plan my learning and fix my mistakes as I had no one to do this for me. I also achieved a 2 on STEP paper 1 in the same academic year.
The Highcrest Academy - GCSE 9 A*/A´s including Further Maths, Science and English Literature 2014
• Leadership - President of the Performing Arts society which includes leading a small committee of 5 people, directing over 20 people including lighting and was re-elected this year
• Problem solving - came first in Maths arcade puzzle challenge out of all first year students which included weekly maths and logic puzzle for the first term at university
• Initiative - Suggested new locations for volunteers to be stationed so that they could be more effective at helping lost spectators
• Team player - attended performing arts society, travelled to rehearsals, followed directors suggestions and worked alongside other actors
• Presentation skills - confident and adept at speaking in front of big groups of people through training in drama and practise throughout my studies
• Self taught the Further Maths syllabus and achieved a B at A level
• Got into an international volunteering programme
• Raised over £100 for This Star Won´t Go Out charity
• Elected president of performing arts society after my first year and have directed multiple performances for the society
Teaching Assistant | Stationer’s Crown Woods Academy Jan 2019 to June 2019
• Spent 15 weeks supporting teaching staff with classes ranging from year 8 to year 11 with ability levels from grade 1 to 7.
• Led extra classes afterschool for a small group of 5 students on the pass boundary
• Had multiple requests from students to provide extra support/time as they found the time we spent working “extremely” helpful.
Personal Tutor | Self – employed Jan 2016 to May 2016
• Created my own diagrams and questions to assist with teaching
• Worked on topics such as circle theorems that pupil found difficult to fix areas of concern
• Student progressed from an E when we began to C at GCSE level during their final exam
Teaching Assistant | The Highcrest Academy Oct 2014 to April 2015
• Worked alongside drama department to help run year 9 lessons once a week
• Taught ideas such as melodrama and archetypes
• Assisted directing GCSE performances for year 11 pupils
Runner (Volunteer) | IAAF/ World Para Athletics Jul 2017 to Aug 2017
International organisation that runs world athletics and Para athletics competition throughout the world
• Welcome spectators
• Provide answers to any spectator questions including transport, ticketing and park information
• Direct spectators to required gates and entrances
Mrs Karen Bates – Maths teacher at The Highcrest Academy (details and contact information available upon request).
Mr Steffan Ball – Head of Sherwood School at Stationer’s Crown Woods Academy (details and contact information available upon request).
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£25||Not available|