Teaching should be ...
• Well planned, well structured and well resourced
• based on inquiry
• focused on conceptual understanding
• developed in local and global contexts
• focused on effective teamwork and collaboration
• differentiated to meet the needs of all learners
• informed by a range of assessment styles
Learning should be ...
• Memorable and fun - taking many forms
• SMART – specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-dependent
• Linked to real life situations
• Skills based - Thinking, communication, social, self-management, research
• Have a purpose, and be continuous throughout a course of study
• Associated with specific tasks or learning objectives
I am a qualified secondary school teacher. I have taught for the last 10 years in Ireland, China, Hungary and the UK. My goal is to help you overcome stress and your barriers to learning with a personalised plan so that you achieve exactly what you want.
SUMMARY STATEMENT - MICHAEL GRAVEN
Throughout my teaching career, my ultimate goal has been to teach outstanding science lessons and inspire students to become lifelong learners and practitioners of science. I believe that these learning opportunities enable students to develop the skills they need to be successful in their lives beyond school, as citizens of the 21st century world – creating the foundation for their own successful science education.
Postgraduate Diploma in Education, (Grade 2.1) National University of Ireland, Galway
Sep 2006 – May 2007
• Subjects Taught: Mathematics, General Science Specialism: Physics
• Courses Included: Education & Society, Educational Technology, History, Philosophy and Psychology of Education, Curriculum and Assessment, Skills of Teaching
Bachelor of Science Degree in Honours Mathematics, (Grade 2.2) NUI, Galway
Sep 2001 – June 2005
• Main Subjects: Applied & Pure Mathematics
• Courses included: Applied Statistics, Probability Theory, Abstract Algebra, Methods of Mathematical Physics. Differential & Integral Calculus, Real & Complex Analysis, Mathematical Modelling, Cryptography, Numerical Analysis.
OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS AND SKILLS
Specialism in Physics
• CPD from the Institute of Physics, Teaching Advanced Physics, National STEM centre, InThinking workshop
• Implementing ideas from the Walter Lewin lectures; the Richard Feynman lectures; Veritasium and Minute Physics videos, the PTNC Digest; regular use of the PHET Simulations in lessons; and using CLEAPPS website for science investigations
School and University Projects
• Created and lead the highly successful ‘Year 9 Personal Projects’ for all Year 9 students for two years
• Achieved first class honours in my final year research project for the BS Degree in Honours Mathematics analysing networking problems in chess using innovative techniques for designing patterns to solve them.
Science Teacher and Year 10 Tutor Bodmin College, Cornwall, UK 30 October 2017 – 15 July 2018
• Implementing and delivering an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students
• Monitoring and supporting the overall progress and development of students using ‘The Power of Six’
• Utilising continuous professional development in physics with the Physics S3 workshops in schools around Cornwall
• My Year 11 Combined Science biology students obtained the best averages in the mock examinations for Paper 1
Supply Teacher County of Cornwall, UK 04 September 2017 – 29 October 2017
• Supply teaching in Cornwall area including a month-long cover teaching GCSE mathematics at Fowey River Academy
Physics Teacher and Fifth Form Tutor Kings College Taunton, Somerset, UK September 2016 – August 2017
• Physics specialist in a vibrant and academically successful science department
• Huge contribution to the extra-curricular life of a busy boarding and day school
• Supervised two gifted and talented students who completed the Physics Olympiad Experimental Project
• Supervised a student who received commendation in the essay competition Peterhouse Kelvin Science & Medicine Prize
Science Teacher British International School of Budapest, Hungary (BISB) August 2012 – June 2016
• Taught for four years at an international school comprising of over 60 nationalities covering the British and IB system
• Completed two courses in Higher Performance Learning in Science applying its principles to my teaching practice
• Facilitating excellent teaching with a guide to adding challenge and breadth to the learning of all students
developed in local and global contexts through the International Baccalaureate course
Mathematics and Chemistry Teacher Learning Center, Shunyi District, Beijing May 2010 – June 2012
• Delivering lessons to high-school students at all levels in Mathematics, Chemistry and the AP Calculus course (AB Level)
• Experience with the IB System, A-Levels, the IGCSE system, and the SAT subject tests.
Mathematics and General Science Private Tutor Galway City, Ireland Sep 2009 - May 2010
• 1:1 academic learning support to students preparing for Junior and Leaving Certificate science and maths exams.
• Building up confidence, learning strategies, revision planning, revision skills and study skills.
Secondary School Teacher (Work-Placement) St. Joseph's College, Galway City, Ireland Sep 2006 - May 2007
• Planning, preparing and delivering lessons for Junior Certificate Science and Junior Certificate Mathematics.
• Marking work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of students’ progress and development
• Actively involved in science laboratory education, preparation of equipment, instruction and safety.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, physics lessons for all!
Taking trigonometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£25|