Because my parents are Swedish and Danish and I grew up in the USA and France, I am well versed in the literary traditions of different cultures. I believe this sharpens my capacity to perceive ideas from fresh angles, see past the dialectic layers that discourse is often wrapped in.
This aptitude has helped me convey ideas simply and engagingly in the past. For example, when I was assisting my younger siblings to prepare for their A levels, I taught them how to untangle the words in order to get to the heart of the issue. This helped them get a good grasp on the texts, and the confidence that came with that understanding made a clear difference to their writing. This was a hugely satisfying experience for me, and I hope to be able to ignite in as many people as possible an appreciation of and curiosity about literature, languages and ideas.
Since then, I have tutored many people, and I find that the area which I am best at helping with is the structuring, composition and writing of essays, dissertations or articles- whether the topic be philosophical, historical, literary, legal, psychological, sociological or political. If you send me the subject material in advance, when I come to tutor we can begin directly to plan the best way to say what you think should be said. I will contribute constructive criticism, scan the paper for incorrect grammar and sentences that could flow better, and self-contradictory or vague/unfounded ideas.
I am also open to giving lessons via Skype.
I have been giving lessons regularly since January 2017 and have tutored about 30 students now.
I believe I have played a big part in getting two of these students into University, have helped people get higher grades at University/high school and have given others (refugees in Belgrade) the French skills to be able to communicate if they ever get to their desired destination.
Private Tutor for Tutora ((concealed information) January 2017 to present day
I have been teaching two regular pupils all year:
Kwanale B- (3.30 hours per week) teaching her how to understand, structure and write essays on the topics of History, Literature, Psychology and Sociology so as to help her to be accepted at her desired university.
Darius D (2 hours per week) - teaching him the principles of English grammar and conjugation in the different tenses (he is Lithuanian)
I have also given French and English lessons and have helped others to write strong essays for their university courses, but these were not regular weekly sessions.
• Understanding the topic material, whether it be grammar rules or the subject of the essay
• Identify the problems that the students are having with this subject
• Explain to the pupils in a clear manner what it is that they are doing wrong, and how they could improve
• Set exercises and challenges that push the pupils to master the new knowledge and remember it for next time.
Volunteer French teacher for Afghan refugees in Belgrade, Serbia – April 2017
• Communicating my lesson to group of people, all with different levels of French and English, some of whom could not read in any language, not even their own.
• Making sure that the students who spoke only Farsi and no English understood what the word I was teaching them in French meant in their language. I did this through acting out the word's meaning or asking other students how to say a word such as "water" in Farsi so that I could translate directly.
• Teaching my students the western alphabet.
• Showing my students how to pronounce the French "E" and to notice the difference between "F" and "P", although these sounds were foreign to them
Staff Co-Ordinator – May 2015 to March 2017
Indhivara Limited, a small locum agency.
4 Woodside Place Glasgow United Kingdom G3 7qf
• Seeking GP and out of hours GP positions, dominantly in the Scottish Highlands for the company's list of doctors to fill
• Liaising and negotiating on phone and email between the doctors and NHS primary care/clinical service managers
• Organising the transport and accommodation
• Drafting invoices for the clients
French tutor – May 2013 to 31 July 2013
Private Employers: Craig and Teresa Marshall
985 Tataryn Road Kelowna, British Columbia Canada
• Teaching beginner’s French to a hyperactive but clever American 13 year old
• Identifying and promoting an understanding of the foundational groundwork of the French language
• Presenting these patterns and concepts in such a way as to keep her interested, motivated and serious
MA(Hons), First Class, Joint Philosophy and Literature - September 20012 to June 2016.
University of Glasgow
A-Level Equivalent: Option Internationale du Baccalauréat (OIB), September 2010 – June 2012
Lycée International de Ferney‐Voltaire
Avenue des Sports, 01210 Ferney‐Voltaire, France
14,18/20 (A‐level grade equivalent: AAA (concealed information) in French Literature, History & Geography, PE, Science, Swedish, Philosophy, Computer Science, English Literature, Spanish, Extended Project and Art
GCSE’s, September 2009 – June 2010
Lycée International de Ferney‐Voltaire
English Lit: A
SKILLS AND ACHEIVEMENTS
• Awarded the Lorimer Bursary for General Philosophy both in 2013 and in 2014
• Languages: English: Native tongue. French: Fluent. Swedish: Fluent. Danish: Intermediate.
• Held a solo art exhibition in the town hall of Ferney-Voltaire (Maison Fusier) in April 2012, and produced a short film in 2011 which received favourable feedback from French film director Patrice Leconte. Both projects were reported in the local newspaper.
PERSONAL INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
Performed stand‐up comedy at the University of Glasgow and actively participated in its Debating society. Was also a member of the Model United Nations of my secondary school. Spend a lot of my time painting, drawing (e.g. a pop-up book, film animation), writing stories and articles. I am currently teaching myself how to code websites with html and CCS.
I run daily for one hour and enjoy skiing, snowboarding and ice-skating.
Sofie helped me a great deal with my essay writing. She is very patient and understanding, and is always working around my pace so I never feel rushed when I dont understand something. She has gone above and beyond in ensuring I get the most of our sessions, and because of her calm approach and attention to detail, I'm proud to say I got a first in my final assignment.
academic tutoring lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest school support lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, school coaching lessons for all!
Taking methodology lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|