My favourite thing about language learning is its real-world application, and this is an aspect which I keep at the forefront of my teaching. Ultimately, you are learning how to communicate with people in a real-world setting, which is exciting and should be fun! A tailored, student-centred approach ensures that lessons can be personalised to the student's abilities and interests, helping to facilitate maximum engagement and progress.
I am a recent graduate from the University of Southampton, with a first-class honours degree in German and Spanish. I was treasurer of the German Society alongside my studies, and was the recipient of the final year 'German Writing Award'. I regularly visited Germany throughout my degree, and most recently spent three months working in Berlin as an intern translator and proofreader. I have experience teaching English as a foreign language to both adult and younger learners, and am excited to adapt my lessons to German teaching.
Education and qualifications
September 2015–June 2019 University of Southampton, BA German and Spanish (First-class honours)
● Developed advanced written and verbal communication skills in German and Spanish, as well as English.
● Increased resilience and adaptability to new situations through a year abroad in Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
● Conducted and wrote a research-based dissertation project in Spanish whilst abroad, which involved interviews with native speakers.
Modules include: translation theory and practice, audio-visual translation, elements of linguistics, application of linguistics, teaching English as a foreign language
Recipient of final year ‘Spanish Language Award’ and ‘German Writing Award’
2009–2015 Clarendon Academy, Trowbridge, Wiltshire
A-levels: English Literature (A*), Mathematics (A*), German (B)
AS-level: Psychology (A)
GCSEs: 10 at grade A*-A, including English, Maths and Science
July–September 2019 EAP pre-sessional listening and speaking tutor, University of Southampton
● Planned and delivered engaging sessions to prepare international students for the demands of British university study
● Conducted weekly tutorials to provide students with individual advice and support
● Organised, invigilated and marked formative and summative exams
June–September 2018 Translation/proofreading/project management intern, ad editum – Berlin, Germany
● Delivered idiomatic English translations of German and Spanish texts and proofread the work of others.
● Liaised with clients and translators via phone and email in both English and German.
● Simultaneously managed multiple projects whilst adhering to short deadlines.
● Accurately produced quotes and invoices.
September 2017–June 2018 English language conversation assistant, CEIP Silleda – Galicia, Spain
● Delivered engaging and creative English language lessons of varying levels.
● Problem solved quickly to resolve challenges in the classroom.
● Established positive relationships with the language learners and supported their progress in an empathetic manner.
September 2016–June 2017 Treasurer, University of Southampton German Society – Southampton, UK
● Communicated with committee members and society members in English and German whilst organising and running weekly activities.
● Responsibly managed the society’s budget, including finances for a trip abroad.
June 2016 Classroom Assistant, Mikado Kindergarten – Leer, Germany
● Supported children in their learning in a conscientious and compassionate manner.
● Undertook responsibility in supervising activities and accompanying the class on a day trip.
● Developed my confidence in using German both professionally and socially.
Further work experience
January 2016–May 2019 Bar staff, University of Southampton Students’ Union
● Provided friendly, professional and conscientious customer service in a quick-paced environment.
● Used effective verbal communication as part of a dynamic team.
September 2015–March 2019 Bank support worker, Craegmoor, Priory Group – Trowbridge, UK
● Assisted residents with daily activities, including personal care, and supported them to reach their personal goals.
● Worked in a safety-conscious and empathetic manner.
● Offered a flexible and positive working attitude, and demonstrated willingness to take on responsibility at short notice.
November 2013–September 2015 Sales assistant, Next – Trowbridge, UK
● Communicated efficiently with customers and other staff members in an approachable manner on the shop floor.
● Demonstrated attention to detail within stock-takes and sale preparation.
Additional activities and responsibilities
● Swing dance classes September 2018–June 2019
● Sign language classes September 2018–April 2019
● Schools+ volunteer September 2018–February 2019
● Secretary for University of Southampton Meditation Society September 2016–June 2017
german lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - german lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - german lessons for all!
Taking written expression - german lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||Not available|
|5 hours||Not available||£95||Not available|
|10 hours||Not available||£170||Not available|