Whilst teaching English as a foreign language for two years in Shanghai, I learned how to sell my lessons with an enthusiasm and with visual aids that make them fun yet simultaneously challenging. I also learned just how much I loved teaching and, for that reason, I am incredibly eager to get back into it since I've missed it so much. I believe that my having been named 'Outstanding New Teacher' by the academy that contracted me to the school at which I taught is testament to my affability and ability as a teacher. Furthermore, I believe my having attained a BA degree in Law and English Literature from the University of Kent and an MA from Royal Holloway University to be testament to my intellectualism, intelligence and verbosity. I will try not to bore you with too long a description but, should you wish to find out anything further about me, please feel free to send me a message at anytime.
As previously mentioned, I have over two years teaching experience, having taught English as a Foreign Language and drama to countless children of many ages in both private and public settings. I was also responsible for running a teacher training programme whilst I was there. Whilst there, I was widely praised for my enthusiasm, dedication, ability and affability towards the children and my colleagues alike.
For lessons more than 10km away from Hornchurch, I will also charge for travel expenses should you wish for me to travel there in person. This will apply regardless of whether or not you decide to opt for a scaled rate. Please note that I will be moving back to Shanghai very soon, so it may be that I am only free to teach lessons for the next two or three weeks.
I would like to think of myself as an a creative, fun, kind-hearted, competent, passionate, ambitious, incredibly enthusiastic perfectionist who enjoys being busy and also exhibits the many attributes detailed within what I believe to be a very impressive curriculum vitae. Should you decide to hire me, I promise to bring the same impressive and positive attitude that I have brought to every role I have previously held.
Education (Abridged List)
Royal Holloway University, September 2017- Present
Due to graduate with Merit
University of Kent at Canterbury, 2011- 2015,
BA Honours Degree in Law and English Literature:
Upper Second-Class Honours
Work Experience (Abridged List)
Zhangjiang Pacican Education Centre, via the Shanghai Pacican Cultural and Educational Service (September 2015- June 2016):
• Pacican Education selected me to teach grades 1 and 3 at this after-school club due to their being impressed by my teaching at Tangzhen (see below).
• I had to prepare a lesson plan and a PowerPoint presentation for every lesson.
• Furthermore, I also prepared several of my own tests to ensure that they could read and write in English to an appropriate level.
Teacher at Tangzhen Primary school, also via SPCES (September 2016- Present):
• I taught grades 1, 2, 3 and 4 at this public school for both of the years that I was a contracted teacher with Pacican Education.
• I was also responsible for a brief training session of other teachers at the elementary school itself, my primary duty being to sharpen their oral English skills.
• Pacican Education presented me with the “Outstanding New Teacher 2015” award, the citation for which described me as being, amongst other things, a hard-worker who “had an open mind to suggestions” who is constantly “energetic and enthusiastic”. (Please see the ‘External Links’ section on page three for the full citation).
• Pacican Education would later go on to write a glowing article about me which, amongst other things, described me as being “so popular and charismatic among [my] students that they all call [me] “Prince Charming””. (Again, please see the ‘External Links’ section on page three for the full article).
Clerical Assistant at Tuckers Consultancy (June- September 2011):
• Duties here included filing, archiving and other general clerical responsibilities. I feel that this experience gave me an invaluable insight into office life and I credit it with providing me with a requisite maturity which proved particularly helpful when I started university a few weeks after leaving.
Clifford Chance (Work Experience, 2010):
• Even though I only worked for this law firm for less than two weeks, I feel privileged to have worked at one of the biggest and best law firms in the world, if only for a very short time.
Voluntary work (Abridged List)
Course Representative for the MA Playwriting Course at Royal Holloway University (September 2017- Present)
I have found representing the views of my classmates to be a particularly rewarding experience thus far although, having only been recently elected, I have yet to really get into the nitty-gritty of the job at present.
Hands for Hope (March 2011):
Volunteering at this school in Uganda was a truly remarkable experience that would prove to be of invaluable help when I started teaching in China.
Kasisi Children’s Home (April 2010):
Volunteering at this children’s home and hearing the stories of the children who lived there was eye-opening and helped to give me a sense of perspective as to the things which are most important in life.
Interests and Skills (Abridged List)
Writing: I would describe writing as my primary passion, as is evidenced by the fact that I am about to start studying for an MA in Playwriting at Royal Holloway University. Most significantly, I have also written a play entitled True Doubt, a play which deals with (and ultimately aims to debunk) 9/11 conspiracy theories. Writing this play led to a number of remarkable research-orientated experiences including interviews, video-blogging and an enlightening (if frustrating) debate. It took me a total of five years to write, something which I think is testament to my persistent and self-motivated nature. I would also say that the project has served as a testament to my penchant for critical thinking, something which is further evidenced by an article I wrote for the Inquire newspaper at the University of Kent critical of Derek Acorah’s “psychic” abilities.
Acting: I performed in many plays with the ‘Canterbury Players’, a non-professional acting group based in Canterbury in Kent. Plays in which I have performed include Tis Pity She’s A Whore by John Ford, The Winter’s Tale by William Shakespeare, The Crucible by Arthur Miller and an adaptation of Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence.
Reading: I credit books such as ‘The Catcher in the Rye’, ‘Moby Dick’, ‘The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House’, ‘Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea’ and ‘Voodoo Histories: How Conspiracy Theory Has Shaped Modern History’ (the author of which I interviewed as research for True Doubt) for furthering my ability to think critically and sceptically.
Other: I am currently serving as the course representative for the MA Playwriting course at Royal Holloway University. Whilst I have only served in this capacity for a few months thus far, I would credit the position for already giving me an added sense of responsibility and for giving me even greater insight into the educational process.
CEO of the Pacican Academy
Email: (concealed information)
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, english literature lessons for all!
Taking creative writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||£85||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||£165||£150|