A fully qualified primary teacher, I am a able to give lessons to pupils up to 11 years old in all primary subjects from maths to RE and from English to geography.
I am a confident, reliable, patient and enthusiastic person who enjoys not only teaching children through the use of text books and novels but through sport, music and drama. In my humble opinion, there is definitely space for some rote learning and text books in some subjects however I enjoy providing more of a hands on method in teaching as I believe by doing something you will learn and understand it better. Seeing and touching shapes in maths, for example, is far more valuable than seeing them on a piece of paper. Furthermore, children sometimes need to be able to figure out things for themselves therefore I prefer that they investigate prior to 'being told'. This way, they will learn from their mistakes making them resilient and not afraid of getting it wrong.
Not only have I taught at schools within the UK, I have also taught abroad with the use of a TEFL qualification which enables me to teach English as a foreign language if required.
Before qualifying as a primary teacher (PGCE) I worked in Buenos Aires for 6 months as a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) teaching both children and adults.
Following this, I then became a Teaching Assistant / Learning Support Assistant for a year where I was working as a 1:1 with a child with learning difficulties however I was also responsible for working with small groups in all areas. I particularly enjoyed working with this individual and the small groups as I felt they gained so much more and were all able to take part in the learning.
When realising that teaching was for me, I went and completed the PGCE course. This was a fascinating where not only did we teach in different schools throughout the year, but we were also taught the fundamentals about how different children learn and the different approaches that need to be given (in other words the psychology of a child). During this year I taught 7-8 year olds and 8-9 year olds.
Next, I started a job at a primary school teaching 9-11 year olds and spent a year and a term here before making the move back up north to my home roots. These were classes of 30 however during my lunch breaks I would often work with children 1:1 where I felt it necessary. Within that year, I was responsible for the most amount of progress made from the pupils.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
2014 – 2015 UNIVERSITY OF ROEHAMPTON London
• Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) - Primary Education (QTS )
2006 - 2010 UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH Edinburgh
• MA Hons in Sociology, 2:1
2000 - 2005 OUNDLE SCHOOL Northamptonshire
• A Levels: Psychology (A) French (B) English (B)
• 9 GCSE’s: 7 A Grades, 2 B Grades
• Standard Grade: Mandarin
Nov ‘15- KENMONT PRIMARY SCHOOL, WHITE CITY London
Dec ’16 Year 5 Class Teacher
• Planned and delivered lessons in accordance with the National Curriculum.
• Set tasks which challenged children of all abilities and ensured high levels of interest.
• Set clear targets for pupil.
• Monitored and assessed pupils’ progress.
• Fulfilled all duties as directed by Key Stage leaders and Head Teacher.
• Vigilant in preventing bullying and worked swiftly to resolve incidents of bullying following the school’s policy.
• Attended meetings and training to keep skills up to date and to be in touch with new initiatives for education.
• Organised outings and sports events and took responsibility for children on these events.
• Prepared and presented informative reports to parents
This job has been invaluable in helping me learn to work with children with difficult behaviour and how to remain calm in difficult situations. Key accomplishments include arranging a variety of trips to ensure children are given an opportunities they might not normally have, attending school journey with 60 Year 5 and Year 6 children and arranging performances and presentations inviting parents to watch performances and presentations delivered by the children.
March- HOLY CROSS RC PRIMARY SCHOOL, FULHAM London
July ‘15 School Placement (Graded high)
• Responsible for teaching a Year 2 class of 30 children.
• Supported and prepared the children for Year 2 SAT’s.
• Planned and delivered well-structured lessons which engaged and motivated children.
• Achieved and maintained high standards of care and education.
Nov-Dec FIELDING PRIMARY SCHOOL, NORTHFIELDS London
‘14 School Placement (Graded high)
• Shared responsibility for teaching a Year 3 class of 30 children.
• Planned, prepared and delivered interactive lessons for children of all abilities including SEN and EAL.
• Marked, monitored, assessed and tracked pupils’ abilities and provided feedback.
• Developed strategies to deal with classroom behaviour.
• Took on additional responsibilities including playing an active role in Year 3 sharing assemblies.
Sep ‘13- PEMBRIDGE HALL SCHOOL, NOTTING HILL London
Jul ‘14 Learning Support Assistant / Teaching Assistant
• Supported a child with learning difficulties, small groups and the teacher at all times in a Year 6 class.
• Liaised with SENCo, Educational Psychologist and Speech and Language Therapist.
• Involved in organising and helping with activities such as arts, cooking, drama, sports and outings.
Key accomplishments include coaching athletics, hockey, netball, cross-country running, lacrosse and horse riding to children from Year 1 to Year 6 and playing an active role in the production of ‘Sherezade’ with the drama department for the end of term performance.
June – Dec IDIOMAS MT Buenos Aires, Argentina
‘11 TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Teacher
• Planned, prepared and delivered lessons to students’ whose first language is not English.
• Helped pupils improve their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills via individual and group sessions.
This job has been invaluable in helping me to differentiate activities to suit different levels of English.
SKILLS AND ACHEIVEMENTS
• Safeguarding children – for Education (Level 1)
• Pivotal Education’s Safeguarding Training
• TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)
• Completed a course at The Grange School of cookery
• Pitmans Fast-Track Microsoft Diploma
• Hold a Full UK driving and trailer license
• Community Action program: Helped in a pre-school and with a program for people with learning disabilities.
I enjoy a range of outdoor activities such as horse ding, cycling, hiking, skiing and running. I completed the London Marathon, 2006 & 2014, Paris Marathon 2013 and Edinburgh Marathon, 2010 raising money for various charities. I cycled over 500 miles around France, again raising money for charity. I competed up to Novice level (British Eventing). Whilst at school I was an active member of the hockey, tennis, netball, rounders and athletics teams, most of which I still do today.
Whilst at school I took a strong interest in languages. I have since spent a number of weeks in Spanish and French speaking countries improving these skills. I have explored many different places around the world giving me the opportunity to expand my knowledge about different countries, cultures and people.
I have an interest in the arts including music and theatre. I played both the piano and the flute to grade 3 whilst at school and took part in many drama performances. I also have a passion for cooking.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, geometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£30||£30||Not available|
|5 hours||£140||£140||Not available|
|10 hours||£280||£280||Not available|