Economics is one of those subjects that takes time to really understand. You really have to adopt a very different mindset and approach before it starts to sink in. I strongly emphasise a firm grounding in economic theory and concepts as being a prerequisite for all economists. Once you have that under your belt it becomes much easier to tackle multiple choice, short answer, data and essays questions. I also work closely with my students to develop subject related skills of numeracy, data interpretation and written analysis and evaluation. I also have a wealth of learning resources at all levels for Economics and Business Studies which I give to students free of charge. I also mark work free of charge outside lessons and give detailed feedback
I know that students often find it difficult to express and develop their ideas on paper, particularly in an exam situation. I will spend time with you helping you to stricture your written responses and giving you some keys and devices which will improve your essay writing.
I try to work with my students to meet their needs. Sometimes this just means giving a few tips and practising questions to improve exam technique. On other occasions, I have found that students have little confidence in their ability or they feel detached from the subject, sometimes due to poor teaching at their school or college. A number of my tutees have told me that they hated Economics prior to tuition, but now it`s one of their favourite subjects.
From March of this year, I have been teaching all students online using Google Meet, Zoom and Big Blue Button, an interactive portal. All necessary resources are sent to the student prior to the lesson and homework can be shared by email. As well as screen sharing for presentations, I also have an interactive whiteboard especially useful for diagrams. I`ve also taught a number of international students living outside the UK, in different time zones
I am highly experienced and fully qualified teacher of Economics and Business Studies with PGCE and threshold status. I have taught for nearly 25 years in the state sector and in private colleges.As a result,I have a thorough grasp of the requirements of following exam boards AQA, Edexcel, OCR,WJEC and IB. I am also a qualified ESOL teacher and have spent a number of years working abroad.
Currently I am teaching Economics at Westminster tutors and International Foundation Group and have additional duties as an Expert examiner for Edexcel A` level Economics Paper 2.
As well as having bags of experience in person and online, I have a great passion for Economics which really inspires interest and motivation in my students. Last year all my students achieved A* or A grades in Economics. In the previous year they achieved A*-B spread across all 4 main examination boards. This included a number of students who improved by 2 grades on their predicted grade.
Currently with many of you being affected by the uncertainty and disjointed nature of your A` level provision, I`ll make sure you can quickly recover so that you`re on track with the syllabus. Most importantly I`ll help you rekindle the interest and enthusiasm you had for the subject.
Educational Institutions attended
1970-1977 Latymer Upper School, London W.5.
1997-1980 University College, London
1983-1984 The Institute of Education, London
Autumn 1994 Missionary Training School, Czech Republic
Autumn 1998 BHF/AMTAK TESOL School
Autumn 2002 Interklub Hungarian Language School, Budapest
2004-2006 Logos Bible School, Hungary (Correspondence course)
2011- Royal Holloway College (MSC Sustainable development)
O’ Level Passes (10): English Language and Literature, Mathematics and Advanced
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, French and Music Theory.
A’ Level Passes (3): Mathematics (A), Physics (B) and Business Studies(B).
BSc Degree: Joint Honours Degree in Economics / Statistics
MSc Practicing Sustainable Development
P.G.C.E: Business Studies (Economics subsidiary).
TESOL Certificate: Certified by Trinity College, London.
Other: Diploma in Biblical Studies (Equivalent to half a degree)
Work related skills/ experience
• Expert examiner for Edexcel A` level Economics
• Contributor to tutor2u Economics blog and TES resource bank and comprehensive learning resources in Economics and Business.
• Assessor on preliminary marking of RES Economics essay competition
• DBS checked and trained in Child protection
• Use of Interactive Whiteboard (Smartboard and Promethean)
• Interpretation of educational statistics such as SISRA and PIXEL
• Proficient user of all main IT applications: word processing, spreadsheets, databases and desktop publishing and online interactive software such as Big Blue Button, Zoom and Google Meet.
• Wide range of administrative experience such as organising conferences,
timetabling and departmental budgeting
• Languages: Fluent speaker of Hungarian, also French and Portuguese at intermediate level
Sept 2017 - present
Sept 2013- Aug 2017
Sept 2012- Aug 2013 Part time Economics teacher at Westminster tutors and International Foundation group, London
Full time teacher of Economics, Business Studies, EPQ and ICT at Ellen Wilkinson School for girls
Part time teacher of Economics and Business Studies at:
• Abbey College in London
• Westminster Tutors
Sept 2010 – Aug 2012
Part time teacher:
• A` Level Business Studies at Chelsea Independent College.
• A` level Economics (WJEC) at David Game College, London
• A` level Economics at Albion College (WJEC), London
Sept 2009 – July 2010 Part time teacher:
• AS Economics at Kidbrooke School
• AS Business Studies at Stanmore College teaching AQA Unit 1
• Private tutor in AS, BTEC, Applied Business, AS/A2 Economics
• Business English trainer for Cartus Inc, an international relocation company.
Sept 2008 – Aug 2009 Teacher of Economics and Business at Bellerbys International College, Greenwich.
• AS Economics and assisting AEA students
• Intensive Economics and Human Resources for Foundation
Business and Pre Masters Degree students
• Report writing, references as required
• Organisation of Economics and Public Lecture trips
June / July 2008 AQA Examiner marking A2 Unit 5 Business Economics
Mar 2008 – July 2008 Supply teaching for Reed Education and Private tutor AS/ A2 Economics for Top Tutors.
Jan 2008 - Feb 2008 Lecturer in BTEC Business at Uxbridge College teaching:
• Introduction to Accounting
• Introduction to Marketing
• Creative Product Promotion
Sep 2005 - Jun 2007 Teacher of English at Fay Andras School of Business and Technology (P/T 0.7), Miskolc, Hungary
• Development of English Resource Bank
• Organisation of English popular music and Poetry recitals
Sep 2004 - Jun 2006 Teacher of English at Stratford Nyelviskola, Miskolc
• Business English taught at 3 local companies
Jan 2003 - Jun 2004 Teacher of Spoken English at II. Rakóczi Ferenc School of Technology, Kiskunhalas, Hungary
Sep 2000 - Aug 2002 Teacher of Economics, Business Studies at The Heathland School, Hounslow (L.B. of Hounslow).
• AS and A2 Economics
• GNVQ Advanced Business Planning and Statistics for Marketing
• AVCE Competitive Business Environment
• AVCE Financial Accounting
• Responsibility for High Achievers programme
• Management of Departmental resources, updating schemes of work
• 6th form and Year 8 tutor
Sep 1999 - Aug 2000 Head of Business Studies at Chace Community School (L.B. Enfield).
• A` level and GCSE Business Studies
• GNVQ Business and NVQ Administration
• Year 9 Information technology
• Developing A level schemes of work
• Working with Faculty Head to raise achievement
Dec 1998 - Jul 1999 Supply teaching and Private tuition in Economics, Business Studies and Retail Marketing.
Jan 1997 - Jul 1997 Teacher of Business Studies and Economics at Fortismere
School. (L.B. of Harringey).
Apr 1990 - Sep 1994 Lecturer in Economics and Accounts at City and Islington College (L.B. Of Islington).
Sep 1986 - Mar 1990 Full time principal teacher of Economics at Harlington Community School (L.B. of Hillingdon).
Sep 1985 - Aug 1986 Teacher of Economics, Business Studies and Accounts at Alperton High School (L.B. Of Brent).
Sep 1984 - Jul 1985 Supply teacher at Shene school, Richmond and Chase Cross School, Romford.
Pastoral and additional duties
• Form tutor for years 8, 10-13
• Head of Lower 6th
• Departmental and faculty resources
• Programme for High Achievers
Recent Job related training courses attended
• Understanding Mental Health (National College)
• A wide range of INSET related training covering Safeguarding, Prevent and Behavior for Learning
• TDA Return to Teaching course organised by LEA
• Personal Development – Reed Education
Subject areas taught in the last 10 years
I have experience teaching in the following subject areas, up to Advanced level: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Business Economics, Development Economics, Economics of EU and Brexit, International Business, Marketing, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Business Planning, Statistics in Business and Human Resources.
Full/Part time employment in the voluntary sector
Dec 2002-July 2007: Community worker for the Kiskunhalas and Koinonia Baptist Church,
Dec 1997-Oct 1998: Church Worker in Hungary with Operation Mobilisation
Sep 1994-Aug 1996: (based in Budapest and Southern Hungary)
• Conversion of two garages into community meeting point incorperating small coffee house.
• Coordination of related activities, such as live music evenings, English clubs, counselling for alcohol dependents and coffee mornings.
• Organisation and running of weekly soup kitchens and used clothing distribution serving poorer members of local community.
Aug 1980- Aug 1983: British Pipeline Agency (Herts), Oil Pipeline Scheduler managing movements on UK`s largest multi-product oil pipeline, coordinating shipper requirements.
Hobbies and Interests
Sports: I enjoy tennis, fitness, running and participating in team sports.
Music: Semi professional musician - guitar, keyboards singing and songwriting.
Travel: I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and The Americas.
economics lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|