The whole aim of extra tuition is to ensure that pupils exceed their target grades and so I work tirelessly to prepare students for their public examinations. Good standards of literacy underpin success in all areas of the curriculum and I am mindful of that fact. Since no two pupils are the same, I develop exciting interac†ive lessons for my pupils based on their specific needs. I email lesson plans, resources, and notes prior to lessons so that students and parents are clear about the learning objectives being covered during the session. I have always enjoyed great relationships with my pupils. I am kind and patient and go above and beyond to help them achieve their very best at all times.
I studied at the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama before going on to study with some outstanding teachers of physical theatre in Europe. After completing my studies in Paris I created a theatre-in-education company with fellow students and toured throughout Europe performing in schools. On returning to Britain I worked as an actress ad director in the mainstream theatre and also continued my work in TIE. It was whilst working in this medium of theatre that it became clear that education was where my passion lay and I trained to become a teacher.
After completing my PGCE, I worked for a short period of time in a primary school where I taught KS1&2 pupils across all curriculum subjects before moving into the secondary sector. I was formerly deputy in English with responsibility for KS4&5, HOD Drama KS3,4&5, Essential Skills Wales Communications Coordinator for the Welsh Baccalaureate KS4&5, and Whole School Literacy Coordinator. I also taught GCSE History and RE. In these diverse roles, I developed SOW for KS3,4&5 and delivered them accordingly. I have moderated work in all these subject areas and worked closely with the WJEC, AQA, and EDEXCEL with regards to examination entries and internal assessments.
I recently took a break from teaching to gain more life experience and continue my personal development. In 2015 I created the Theatre of Business Company, where I developed courses based on corporate storytelling. This technique has become an extremely popular part of speeches, delivery, and presentation strategy in America and is gradually trickling into the culture of the British corporate world. I trained sales teams from companies such as RBS and CIPS, to deliver sales pitches with dynamism and confidence.
At present, I am in the process of writing English Literature revision guides for GCSE and A-Level that chart through entire texts so pupils can revise independently. I have completed guides on, Of Mice and Men,' 'An Inspector Calls,' 'A Christmas Carol,' 'Blood Brothers,' 'King Lear,' 'Doctor Faustus,' and 'Death of a Salesman.'
In common with many tutors, remote teaching has come about very suddenly due to the Covid-19 pandemic. So far my experiences of teaching online have been extremely positive. Pupils respond enthusiastically to digital platforms and embrace interactive lessons that require full engagement at all times. Any problems that arise can be dealt with immediately and errors corrected. Lesson planning needs to be extremely detailed since a lack of preparation has the potential to leave the teacher exposed.
I am a dedicated and ambitious teacher of English who is keen for all pupils in my care to be well prepared for their public examinations and also for the world of work once they leave full-time education. In all areas of pupils’ academic life, I strive for academic excellence and work tirelessly to ensure that pupils exceed their target grades. As an actress and communications teacher, I feel that I possess the necessary skills to quickly engage with pupils working remotely and develop sound working relationships based on trust and mutual respect.
Therefore, I feel that during this time of educational need I have the passion, experience, and creativity to create positive educational experiences for pupils working remotely in exceptional circumstances.
£25.00 PER HOUR
Education and Qualifications
• University of Wales Trinity St David; PGCE (Age range 3-11, emphasis KS2 specializing in English Literature.
1989 - 1992
• University of Wales Trinity St David; BA Hons Humanities (RE & History with English Literature major)
(Winner of BA student bursary)
1982 - 1984
• Ecole Internationale Theatre Jacques Le Coq. (Course tutors - Le Coq,
Monica Pagneux, Lassad and Norman Taylor);
• Ecole Etienne Decroux; Ecole Phillipe Gaulier; Ecole Internationale
Mimeodrama de Paris Marcel Marceau;
Jerzy Grotwoski The Poor
Theatre Peter Brook –Theatre Des Boufesses Du Nord;
1979 - 1982
• Royal Welsh College of Music and Dramatic Art; BA Drama and Theatre Studies; (Winner of the ITV Acting Award)
Relevant Career Information
2020 – Present
• Pembrokeshire LEA: Online outreach teacher GCSE & A Level English/English Literature.
• Theatre of Business: MD offering communications skills programs to businesses and corporations.
2014 - 2018
• ACT SUSTAINABLY (Theatre of Business Company): Creative director and lead trainer, teaching communications skills programs to businesses and corporations.
2000 – 2020
• Home tutor KS3/GCSE/A Level English Language, English Literature, and Drama & Theatre Studies. (WJEC, AQA, EDEXCEL, OCR)
2000 - 2014
• Milford Haven Secondary School: Head of Drama (KS3,4&5); Second in English Department for KS3,4&5; Whole school literacy coordinator; Essential Skills Communications Coordinator; Year 12/13 form-tutor; History and RE teacher (KS3&4).
1987 - 1989
• Saundersfoot Primary School, Pembrokeshire: All National Curriculum subjects (KS1&2).
1985 - 1990
• Actress and Director: Selection of professional acting and directing contracts playing a range of different roles in the mainstream theatre and in Theatre in Education both in the UK and EU.
• Member of British Actor’s Equity
• Full driving licence;
• Mentored PGCE students from Aberystwyth and Swansea Metropolitan University in English and Drama and Theatre Studies;
• Mentored newly qualified teachers and guided them through the school mentoring scheme for new teachers;
• Have worked regularly with a number of youth theatres including the Torch Youth Theatre and the South Pembrokeshire Youth Theatre;
• Abridged the work of Shakespeare for a younger audience. My abridged version of Macbeth initially performed as part of the School’s Shakespeare Festival and went on to receive a 5 star rating at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The cast was also invited to perform for ministers at the Senned as an example of good practice in Welsh drama education.
• Research and lecture on the life and works of my Great-great grandfather William Haggar, pioneer of the British film industry;
• Gained CIEH Level 3 in Environmental Management and IEMA Internal EMS Auditor 2014.
Fishing, wild swimming, sailing, surfing, skiing, squash, reading, cinema, writing, horse riding, music, theatre, and environmental issues.
Sarah was my GCSE and A-Level tutor for English and I couldn’t recommend her enough. She really goes above and beyond the learning material of any teacher I ever had in school. Her lessons are well structured and focused on the marking criteria, meaning every lesson was like a form of revision and practice for the assessments. Sarah challenges my thinking in new ways, and quickly improved my essays from B grade to well above A* status. Not only is Sarah organised, insightful, and thought-provoking, she is also such a friendly and encouraging person. I could not recommend Sarah enough, her teaching really transformed my skills and insights in all of my essay-based subjects.
Sarah was the director for Excelsior Production's MacBeth, in which I played the role of Lady MacBeth.
Sarah is extremely passionate about what she does and is a very thorough director. She can easily inspire you to become the next great thespian with her creative mind and enthusiasm.
She really can bring the best out in you, and is by far the best drama teacher I have ever had. It was a pleasure to be her student.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literacy lessons for all!
Taking poetry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£25|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£125|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£250|