I focus on healthy singing regardless of repertoire, confidence and creativity. I have an excellent understanding of the mechanisms of the voice and technique which I incorporate into my lessons, generally learning this through learning of repertoire. I can prepare students for exams, auditions or just for fun, and tailor my lessons to the individual.
I am a trained opera singer who has performed throughout the UK, as well as France, Spain, Italy, Germany, China, Canada and the USA. I hold three degrees in music, with an emphasis on vocal performance, and have over ten years experience as a music teacher. I've previously worked with community choirs, including time as a Rock Choir leader, and taught one-to-one lessons, small groups, and classroom lessons. I currently work as a vocal coach for UpBeat Music working with individuals and bands. I teach any age and standard for singing and offer classical, music theatre and pop and teach up to advanced. For piano I am ideal for beginner and intermediate students and I teach up to Grade 5 theory
Lisa J Coates
ALCM (Music Theatre), DipABRSM (Singing), BMus (Hons), MA (Vocal Performance),
PG Artist Diploma (Distinction)
As a highly experienced educator and animateur I believe in creating an environment where students can use their initiative and develop and expand their knowledge in a way that suits their own unique learning preferences. In music I balance technique, musicality and interpretation and aim to tailor my lessons to the student’s overall needs and the needs of the moment.
VOCAL/KEYBOARD COACH | UPBEAT MUSIC | APRIL 2014-PRESENT
• Preparing and teaching arrangements of pop songs to students aged five to eighteen. One-to-one teaching, and band sessions.
• Previously provided maternity cover running after school clubs in Wandsworth area.
FREELANCE WORKSHOP PRESENTER | CREW | OCTOBER 2017-PRESENT
• Delivering educational drama workshops to primary school children including history workshops on toys and the Egyptians
CO-DIRECTOR | TIMELINESONGS | DECEMBER 2012-FEBRUARY 2015
• Planning and delivering Heritage Singing events throughout the UK.
• Finding suitable venues, devising programmes, repertoire/historical research, digital marketing, PR, delivering workshops, public performances, concert MC
• Running weekly choir rehearsals when music director is not available
ARTIS SPECIALIST | ARTIS EDUCATION | SEPTEMBER 2013-APRIL2014
• Plan lessons using core descriptors and learning aims, linked into the classes termly topics. Deliver workshops using the three key elements of performing arts: drama, dance and music
• Attend regular training with Artis for continued development and take part in peer and mentor observations
MUSIC DIRECTOR | KNOT ANOTHER CHOIR | SEPTEMBER 2013-2014
• Choosing and arranging repertoire; leading weekly rehearsals; accompanying; conducting, recording additional learning materials for choir members
• Organising and directing performances
• Attending committee meetings regarding the running of the choir
SINGING TEACHER | WEATHERBY HIGH SCHOOL | APRIL2013-APRIL2014
• Weekly small group lessons teaching new repertoire, technical skills, rehearsal skills and vocal health Preparing students for assessed performances
PRIVATE MUSIC TEACHER | FREELANCE | SEPTEMBER 2006-PRESENT
Previously: Hull, York, Now: London
• Offering private tuition in singing, piano, flute and theory
• Preparing students for exams, festivals, assessed and non-assessed performances, auditions
• 100% exam success rate however emphasis placed on enjoyable learning experience, confidence, and health as opposed to exam success.
ROCK CHOIR LEADER | ROCK CHOIR | SEPTEMBER 2011-JULY 2013
North Yorkshire: York, Knaresborough, Harrogate
• Deliver weekly sessions in York, Knaresborough, and Harrogate teaching songs and dance routines according to the Rock Choir schedule
• Organise and lead the choirs in public performances, run extra workshops, rehearsals and social events as required
• Complete weekly administrative tasks e.g. registers, e-mail communication, event organisation.
ENGLISH TEACHER | ENGLISH IN YORK | JUNE 2009 – OCTOBER 2012
• Planning and delivering general English classes to visiting students, summer time employment.
• Accompanying students on social events and excursions
COURSE CO-ORDINATOR | ENGLISH EXPERIENCE | AUGUST 2007 – AUGUST 2011
Italy: various, Norwich
• Running two-week English courses in Italy, overall responsibility for welfare of students and teachers Planning and delivering English lessons
• Observing the teachers and providing feedback, Running brainstorming sessions for other teachers
• Budget for extra supplies, gifts for host families and Italian co-ordinators, liaising with Italian pastoral staff
• Writing course reports on teachers’ performance, host families, school etc. Overseeing final showcase performance for student’s families.
PG ARTIST DIPLOMA (DISTINCTION) | SEPTEMBER 2015-SEPTEMBER 2018 | TRINITY LABAN CONSERVATOIRE OF MUSIC AND DANCE
MA (VOCAL PERFORMANCE) | SEPTEMBER 2008-SEPTEMBER 2010 | UNIVERSITY OF YORK
BMUS (HONS) 2:1 | SEPTEMBER 2001 – JUNE 2005 | UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASLE-UPON-TYNE
singing lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, piano lessons for all!
Taking music theory lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|