As a tutor, I would maintain a relaxed environment, allowing for open discussion of the material, including past exam papers. I would maintain an effective balance between tutor support and the student's independent work. I understand that essay questions can be both daunting and confusing, but I will help students approach them with confidence. Often students struggle to know which evidence to draw upon in their essays. To that end, I will coach them toward understanding the relationship between evidence and argument. I can then help students express themselves with both clarity and purpose. I aim to offer a structured and engaging experience that will hopefully capture the student’s interest in the subject. I can provide extra work and am happy to arrange a flexible teaching schedule.
I took the Oxford HAT entry test so I would also be happy to provide guidance for Sixth Form students preparing for the exam and interviews.
I am a 22 year old prospective Ph.D. student, originally from the Lake District, and a recent graduate of the University of Edinburgh’s masters (MSc) programme in History. Though I am yet to receive an official classification, my dissertation on British perceptions of Russia in War and Revolution has been nominated for Edinburgh’s postgraduate prize in British history. I also have a first class (1:1) undergraduate degree in History from Royal Holloway, University of London. Currently, I am applying for doctoral courses that will allow me to further pursue my interests in Russian history.
During my degrees, I have covered a vast array of periods ranging from ancient to modern history. I would be comfortable providing tutoring in any period and I can offer guidance on exam technique, source-based questions, and longer coursework essays. Furthermore, my extensive experience in studying the past will allow me to instil skills into students wishing to take the subject to higher levels.
The University of Edinburgh, MSc History (Masters)
• Skills Gained: liaising with academics, advanced independent research, analysis of vast quantities of complex material.
• Dissertation on British Perceptions of Russia in War and Revolution 1914-1923.
• Notable Modules: ‘Revolutions’ in Modern European History, African Political History, History of Constantinople, Historical Research Skills, Origins of the First World War and Diplomatic/International History.
Royal Holloway, University of London, BA History (Hons)
Grade: 1:1 First Class
• Skills Gained: evaluating critically the significance of large bodies of information, presenting arguments, organisation, confidence to manage own learning.
• Notable modules included the Russian Empire, The American Civil War: Slavery and Emancipation, The Crusades, The British Empire 1895-1963 and Mao to Mandela: Non-Western Political Leaders 1880-2004.
Ulverston Victoria High School and Sixth Form
• History – A (Peter Hague and George Bradshaw Forrest Memorial History Prize.)
• English Language – A
• Religious Studies – C
• Extended Project Qualification (Independently Devised and Researched Project) – A*
• Biology – B
Work Experience, North West Evening Mail, Barrow in Furness
Volunteer, St Mary’s Hospice Shop, Ulverston, Cumbria
(June 2016-August 2016)
Food and Beverage Assistant, The Swan Hotel, Newby Bridge, Cumbria
(June 2015 – August 2015)
Volunteer, Oxfam, Ulverston, Cumbria
(August 2013-April 2014)
Kitchen Porter, Ristorante Rossini, Ulverston
(November 2011- March 2012)
Hobbies & Interests________________________________________
• I have cycled as part of Lakes Road Club for a number of years and have been involved in some competition.
• Royal Holloway History Society
• I was heavily involved in the University of Edinburgh’s Quiz Society, representing the university at a competition involving other UK universities.
References are available on request.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest humanities general lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, foreign politics lessons for all!
Taking international relationships lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£18|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£180|