Until recently I was working at Imperial War Museum Duxford, and also at the Shuttleworth Collection as the Education and STEM manager. Put simply my job was to make education as fun, engaging and interactive as it could be. It helped a lot that I love planes!
I have taught to nearly every type of person there is! Primary and secondary school ages, university students, teachers, business professionals, even to prisoners.
I really, passionately believe that education has to be fun. It has to be made interesting and relevant to what is going on in the world today.
Professor Stephen Hawkins quotes: "We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." I love this quote, not just the stupidity part, but because so many important historical moments have been decided on the whims of fortune, good luck, bad luck, good and bad decisions by individuals.
I like to teach by bringing a subject to life, by explaining how and why things worked, and the impact it made. I do this by making lessons interactive, fun, experimental and memorable.
My main motto, is to have fun with the subject, to engage with my audience and make sure that they understand it in a way that is memorable and interesting.
I am happy to travel quite far in order to help out. I would need to charge normal business rates of 40 per mile outside a certain radius. I am more than happy to discuss if and when you contact me.
I have been teaching for around 15 years. I have devised, developed and delivered lessons on Financial skills, Entrepreneurship, Careers, CV making, Mental Heath, meta-psychology, and history.
I have taught to 1,000's and 1,000's of people of all ages, in lots of different places. Schools, colleges, festivals, businesses and even in prisons.
I like to think how I teach makes any subject matter fun. Forgive the quote below, but it is an example of the type of feedback I love to get...
"None of us will ever know the true effect of Chris' presentation and the impression the model has made on these children. As a teacher of 25 years, having asked students years later what their lasting memory of school was, I know the majority will answer a presentation such as this or a study trip to a special place.
The combination of the student-assembled B-29 model and the charismatic, passionate teaching of Mr. Jefferson made this presentation to be the best I have seen in my career.
Gifted Education Specialist
Alconbury Elementary School
CHRIS JEFFERSON CV
• CREATIVE PROGRAMME AND DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
• SPECIALISING IN INNOVATIVE AND ORIGINAL EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMES
Born: 18 September 1974 (age 42) Clean Driving Licence Nationality: Northern Irish
April 2016- Dec 2016- THE SHUTTLEWORTH TRUST- Education Officer
• Education Officer managing all education programmes at the Shuttleworth Collection and Swiss Garden.
• Duties included providing formal and informal educational experiences for learning groups and for the general public at air show events.
• Created new educational programme content for schools, trails for the public and interactive activities for the site wide event calendar.
June 2012- March 2016 IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM- STEM Learning Officer
• STEM Learning Officer for Imperial War Museums based at IWM Duxford.
• Produced the new STEM Programme Learning programmes that increased audience participation by 165%.
• Signature programmes at IWM include DH9 WW1 Bomber 1/3 scale and B-29 Superfortress 1/8 scale Science of Flight and Assembling an Aeroplane Programmes, Science of D-Day, Transport and Women in Aviation.
Dec 2010- June 2012 THE SERENITAS FOUNDATION- Chief Operating Officer
• Helped to set up and establish an innovative new charity aiming to help community mental well-being by introducing a new talking therapy technique.
• Managed all operations of charity development, including training programmes, intern and volunteer cohorts, website, marketing and promotional materials.
• Developed the operational policies and procedures, devised fund raising strategies and represented the charity at stakeholder meetings. Researched and applied successfully for £20,000 National Lottery Funding
June 2010- Dec 2010 BOOKTRUST- Bookstart Development Manager
• Responsible for the strategic and operational development of 22 Local Authorities in East of England and East Midlands. Managed regional co-ordinators in the distribution of Bookstart packs to all children under the age of 5.
• Promoted Bookstart as part of Booktrust to strategic partners such as Health Providers, Early Years Settings, Libraries, Heads of service, Local Authorities and MP’s
2005- June 2010 YOUNG ENTERPRISE EAST OF ENGLAND-Regional Programme Deliverer and Business Manager.
• Trained and developed regional staff and business volunteers in programme delivery. Researched and successfully applied for funding to deliver a range of enterprise programs targeted towards prisoners and young offenders.
• Developed and delivered educational programme content which was adopted at both a regional and national level. Main programme presenter of regional team delivering the entire range of Young Enterprise programmes to schools and students all over the East of England.
. 2004-2005 CSV REGIONAL VOLUNTEER MANAGER
• 18 months working with individuals and partnership organisations delivering volunteering opportunities to prisoners, promotion of CSV services to senior prison management, and leading presentations of services to offenders.
• Managed and supervised full time volunteers helping clients in social care and rehabilitation projects. Organised volunteer events, compiled regional newsletters, and attended formal functions as CSV representative.
2002-2004 CSV ACTION DESK – BBC RADIO CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Assistant to the producer, raising awareness of local charities and issues.
Helped organise and run the “Big Read” campaign involving a Live all day audience participatory event and a 24-hour read a thon, involving thousands of member of the public
EDUCATION, AWARDS & QUALIFICATIONS__________________________
2013 PTTL’s Teaching Qualification
2012 Traumatic Incident Reduction Counselling Qualification
1993-1998 UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE
Degree in Law (LLB)
1986-1993 BANGOR GRAMMER SCHOOL, NORTHERN IRELAND
A-Levels: History (A), Geography (B), Ancient History (B)
GCSEs: 8 subjects, grades A-C
ACTIVITIES & INTERESTS _________________________
I am a keen sportsman, enjoying golf, squash, hockey, cycling and football.
I also enjoy reading, especially historical books; cooking, writing stories, model making and being a father of 3 young children.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£20||£45||Not available|
|5 hours||£90||£215||Not available|
|10 hours||£180||£430||Not available|