I approach each topic according to your needs. After an initial consultation I create a bespoke course just for you, backed up with the latest and best research in each subject area. This way you get a course filled with practical experience, relevant theory and relevant research.
I'm a humanitarian with experience working in Vietnam, Uganda and Tanzania for big and small organisations including Oxfam, Save the Children, The Electoral Reform Society and USAID. I've gained significant experience in research, communications, marketing and development work and I can pass it all on to you.
¬¬A highly adaptable individual experienced in communication, community building, business growth and charity work. I'm currently studying an MBA and looking for part-time work or short, temporary assignments.
Holy Trinity Events Ltd. – Birmingham, UK Dec ’16 – March '18
Head of Marketing and Operations (12 month contract)
Holy Trinity Events is a diverse, growing business in Birmingham with a multimillion pound turn over and over 40 staff. I was brought onboard to design and manage a 12 month project to overhaul their marketing, HR and communications.
• Created a set of company values that commits the company to supporting local communities.
• Created and implemented a business model for a community bakery that reaches out to and supports community organisations with space and resources.
• Created and implemented a new Human Resource system based on ACAS best practice. Trained all company Directors and mangers how to use it and get the most out of their staff.
• Created digital communications and marketing strategies for each arm of the business. Recruited, trained and directed the workload of staff and designers to implement the strategies.
• Coached the Managing Director on how to build a better workplace community
• Held responsibility for the workload and output of all managers and staff across the business.
Wide Eyed – Hanoi, Vietnam June ’15 – Dec ‘16
Head of Marketing
Wide Eyed are an international tour operator with offices in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia and The Netherlands. I was responsible for all marketing and communication
• Committed the business to fair and ethical travel practices by suspending all tours involving animals, children and unethical volunteering. Our commitment had a knock on effect, pushing several larger competitors to follow suit shortly after.
• Developed a community based volunteer program to improve the livelihoods, education and living conditions of a local mountain tribe in Central Vietnam.
• Created and implemented a successful b2b marketing strategy and digital marketing strategy that led to a significant increase in inbound leads and revenue.
• Recruited, trained and managed a small marketing and design team.
• Project managed and wrote all content for wideeyedtours.com and a printed brochure.
Georgetown University, Save the Children & USAID – Uganda Aug ’14 – Mar ‘15
Communications Consultant (fixed term contract)
The GREAT project in Uganda is a shared initiative between community groups, universities, international NGOs and governments to reduce gender based inequality and violence. It uses an innovative Community Action Cycle and fun and interesting media. I led a small team to write a ‘how-to’ guide for community groups and NGOs. The full guide can be founds here: (concealed information)
• Carried out primary research in several locations across Uganda with project leaders, project beneficiaries, community leaders, community groups, local government and academics.
• Wrote a comprehensive guide on how to implement a successful community action cycle that reduces gender inequality and gender based violence.
Oxfam in Vietnam – Hanoi, Vietnam Dec ’13 – May ’15
Advocacy and Communication Consultant
Oxfam in Vietnam’s Pro Poor Policy Project recruited and trained local leaders to collect and use information about poverty in their communities to make better policy.
• Created a communication strategy aimed at recruiting, training and engaging local government leaders to engage with their local communities and use evidence to make better policy.
• Managed a project to rebrand all communication materials for Pro Poor Policy Monitoring. recruiting and managing designers.
• Provided communication and email marketing training to senior staff.
• Assisted the Deputy Global Director of Oxfam with research.
Paz y Desarrollo – Da Nang, Vietnam Sep ’13 – Jan ‘14
Engaging with the Programme Manager, Head Teachers and Community Groups, I facilitated the creation of guidelines for secondary schools on how to make schools safer and more gender sensitive.
The Personal Support Unit – Birmingham, UK Jan ’12 – Jun ‘13
General Manager and Volunteer Coordinator
The PSU provides practical and emotional support to people attending family or civil courts without legal representation. I established a regional branch of this charity in just 3 months, recruiting, training and mentoring 60+ volunteers that serviced 2560 clients in the first year.
• Engaged multiple stakeholders including community groups, the judiciary, court staff, the legal community, charities, and council services to fundraise, recruit volunteers, create service partnerships, and create opportunities for the organisation and its beneficiaries.
• Created a fundraising committee consisting of senior members from the legal, business, voluntary and political sectors.
• Provided policy analysis and advice to the Director of the PSU before her meetings with Senior Government Ministers and Directors of partner organisations.
• Organised a launch event enjoyed by high profile members of Birmingham’s legal and political community and the most senior judge in the UK, Rt. Hon. The Lord Chief Justice.
Bitters’n’Twisted Venues– Birmingham, UK Jun ’11 – Jun ‘12
Customer Service Training and Communication Consultant
The focus on this consultancy was to produce a long term, simple to understand and implement training program for a group of 6 businesses with over 120 staff. I created, tested and implemented 44 training modules, training 12 managers and 6 in-house trainers how to use the program and how to write new material. The program is still in use today.
The Electoral Reform Society- Bristol, UK Dec ’10 – May ‘11
Regional Campaign Assistant and Bristol Campaign Coordinator
In 2011 the UK held a referendum to change the voting system. Yes to Fairer Votes was established by multiple democracy groups to campaign for the Yes side. I secured the 2nd best result in the country.
• Engaged with local community groups, leaders and political parties to create a cross party/ nonpartisan campaign community from scratch with 250+ volunteers and five full time staff.
• Trained, managed and motivated five local staff and 12 regional managers.
• Persuaded leading politicians, directors of charities and businesses and local leaders to contribute to the campaign financially, verbally and in kind.
• Managed, wrote and distributed all communication with the press, volunteers and the public.
Liberal Democrats – Bristol, UK Jan ’10 – Jun ‘10
The 2010 UK General Election was one of the most hotly contested in generations. My leadership built a strong and effective campaign machine highly focused on community politics.
• Identified local campaign opportunities by engaging community groups and the public through face to face meetings and surveys.
• Facilitated local council candidates to campaign for community issues and win elections.
• Recruited and trained over 100 volunteers to deliver a high profile campaign in the community.
• Wrote leaflets, produced them and organised distribution to 15,000 homes in Bristol.
• Used press releases to generate at least one positive, policy based story each week.
• Organised official community hustings alongside community groups.
• Worked with local community groups, religious organisations and business to deliver campaign meetings, ‘meet the candidate meetings’ and unofficial hustings.
NOTABLE VOLUNTARY WORK
BAB is Changing Aug ’17 – Present
Founder and Community Coordinator
BAB is a community of hospitality staff in Birmingham that hold training sessions. Recently the community have been suffering from issues relating to addiction, poverty and poor employment practices. I'm helping them incorporate as a charity and create services to help their members.
• Brought community leaders together to discuss what the problems are in the community and what is currently being done to solve them.
• Decided with community leaders on establishing a CIO with a constitution written by the community and services defined and managed by the community.
• Recruited a lawyer on a pro bono basis to help with incorporation.
• Designed six, well-structured community meetings with activities designed to get all community members defining issues and planning services.
• Used the contributions from the meetings to feed into the following meetings and identify opportunities for the organisation and its beneficiaries.
• At the end of the sixth meeting I will write a constitution and put it to public vote, write a fundraising strategy, communications strategy and services strategy.
Communications and Campaign Advisor May ’15 – Present
Vietnam Dissidents Trust
The Vietnamese government is harsh on anyone who speaks out against the state. Despite this there is a small community of musicians and artists actively critiquing the government. I support this community by providing advice on campaigning and communications.
• Provide strategic advice on how to use the international media to influence the Viet media.
• Create communication strategies and provide communication advice before the launch of big campaigns or during very tense situations.
• Part of the team which successfully secured a meeting between President Obama and several dissidents.
• Currently investigating incorporating the organization so we can provide funds to activists who have lost their livelihood and family due to their activism.
Advice Birmingham Jan ’13 – May ‘13
Founder and Steering Group Committee Member
• Created a partnership of 21 legal charities operating in Birmingham.
• Created a forum for members to discuss and react to policy change.
• Campaigned for changes to local and national policy to protect the interests of the group.
PSU Fundraising Committee Aug ’12 – Present
Founder and Head of Events
I was the manager of the PSU in Birmingham. I created the PSU fundraising committee to make the Birmingham branch self-sufficient. The Committee became very successful very quickly and is currently being examined as a potential model for national roll out.
• Recruited leading members of the business, legal and voluntary communities to sit on the committee.
• Created a basic but effective marketing and communications strategy.
• Plan, manage and deliver several successful fundraising events every year targeted at the legal and business communities of Birmingham.
• Deliver feedback and advice to PSU headquarters on how other PSUs can copy the success of the Birmingham Committee.
Childreach International Aug ’08 –Aug ‘09
• Led groups of University of Birmingham Students to raise over $30,000 for clean water projects in Tanzania.
• Spent 6 weeks in Tanzania volunteering at one of the beneficiary sites.
Jan 2018- Jan 2019: Coventry University
MBA Management and Organisational Development
• Management based degree with a focus on business development, finance and best practice.
• Expected to receive one of the highest marks in the year group.
Sept. 2006- July 2009: The University of Birmingham
BSc. Public Policy, Government and Management, 2:1 (Hons.)
• Policy based degree with a focus on community development, local government, and local service delivery
• Completed a dissertation on comparative policy analysis of public sector marketization.
• Modules included: comparative policy analysis, public sector management, and policy research, history of social policy, discourse theory, microeconomics, public choice theory and writing public policy.
general knowledge lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest philosophy lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, citizenship lessons for all!
Taking social communication lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|