I have taught in private middle and upper schools, as well as universities. I place great attention on students' affect, learning style and current skills level. I love working with all ages. I design lessons that feature direct instruction, learner practice and summative and formative assessments to ascertain progress.
I have a Masters Degree from San Francisco State University (2017) in Instructional Technologies. I have taught in schools during summers and as a substitute teacher for many years, mostly in academic subjects. I also have advanced degrees in Education, Teaching and English Literature.
Cancellation within 48 hours incurs no tariff.
Master of Arts in Instructional Technologies (February 2017) GPA 3.78, San Francisco State University Department of Education, CA; Final Creative Project: eBook App, Ancient Plant Use, Myth and Artifact, an interactive eBook Museum Guide
Master of Arts, Education (July 2005) Phi Delta Kappa, GPA 3.8, Pepperdine University Graduate School of Education and Psychology, Los Angeles, CA
Master of Philosophy, English; Emphasis, European Studies (1995), Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, CA
Master of Arts in Teaching, English (1990); Master of Arts, English (1985); Bachelor of Arts, English (1980), Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA
Extra-curricular Activity: Selected student contributions as part of Editorial Team for El Playano (1988-89)
Santa Barbara City College, CA: Environmental Horticulture, 17 units (Fall 2010) GPA 4.0; Nutrition, 3 units; Children’s Literature, 3 units (Spring 2011) GPA 4.0
University of California Irvine: Survey of Personal Financial Planning (Fall 2009) 4 units, A grade; Cash Flow (Fall 2009) 3 units, B- grade; Math for Business & Finance (Summer 2009) 4 units, A- grade
University of California Los Angeles Extension: Business Economics (Summer 2009) 4 units, A grade; Science of Investing (Spring 2008) A- grade
University of California Santa Barbara Extension: Mediation and the Legal Process (Fall 2009), A-
Pepperdine University School of Law (1997-1998) Santa Monica College, Santa Monica, CA (1977-1978)
University of California Santa Barbara (1968-1970)
Microsoft Office—Extensive proficiency in Word & PowerPoint; developing Excel skill
Creative Cloud—Adobe Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Muse, Photoshop
Site Map for Inn (2018)Logo Stamp for Business Training Program (2017)
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY INTERN
Jewish Vocational and Career Counseling Service (Jan-Mar 2014), San Francisco, CA
SUMMER PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR
Brentwood School (2009, 2008, 2002, 2000), Los Angeles, CA
- Interacted with students, faculty, staff, administration and parents to augment learning.
- Created and implemented two sections of Readers' Theatre (2008), to enhance appreciation and understanding of literary works, as well as to increase vocabulary and self-confidence.
- Planned and led entering a 7th-grade Grammar and Writing Workshop (2008) using traditional and imaginative activities to reinforce or introduce basic skills.
- Developed and taught Reading for Pleasure (2000), to increase literacy and love of reading.
- Planned and taught Study Skills courses to entering 7th through 9th Graders to enhance active reading, note-taking, test-taking, research, and time-management skills.
- Chadwick School (2006, 2001), Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
- Interacted with students, faculty, staff, administration, and parents to augment learning. Supervised recess playground once per week.
- Planned and taught Study Skills to 4th-6th (2006) and 6th-8th Grades (2001), to enhance active reading, note-taking, test-taking, research, and time- management skills.
- Created and implemented a Rhetoric course to 5th and 6th Graders (2006) to develop persuasive abilities through editorial cartoons, debate on technology’s future, and creative Book Talks.
- Designed and led a Creative English course to 6th-8th Graders (2001) to boost imaginative writing skill.
Peninsula Academy (1999-2001), Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Tutored individual students and small groups in grammar, composition, literary criticism, SAT Prep and Latin and Greek roots, to enhance middle- and upper-school academics.
Pepperdine University Writing Center, Adjunct Faculty (Sep-Dec 1993), Malibu, CA
Tutored writing and study skills in one-on-one labs, to improve subject-area composition.
LMU Learning Resource Center, Writing & Course-Specific Tutor (Sep 1986-Dec 1989), Los Angeles
Tutored lab supplements to College Writing requirement and college Humanities courses.
Culver City Middle School (Nov 2004-Jan 2005), Culver City, CA; Credential not completed
- Planned and taught 6th-grade Language Arts that met State Standards.
- Collected data on two special needs students to differentiate teaching.
- Designed and presented a Unit on writing a personal narrative, improving composition skills and encouraging a sense of writing ownership.
- Attended student-teacher-parent, department, team and all-faculty meetings to promote student learning.
Curtis School (Oct 2, 2007, Mar 10, 2008), Los Angeles, CA
Led Pre-Kindergarten one day in Reading, Skill-building, and Recreation; another day assisted 2nd Grade.
Chadwick School (Sep 2006-Dec 2006), Palos Verdes, CA
Substitute taught Middle and Upper School English.
Carlthorp School (Nov 2004), Santa Monica, CA
Instructed 6th-Grade English Literature Circles and other Language Arts activities.
Mirman School for Gifted Children, Brentwood, CA
Substitute taught in Upper School Math and English on several occasions.
Teachers on Reserve (Oct 2001-Nov 2004), Glendale, CA
English (Middle School & High School), Humanities (High School), Math (Middle School)
Brentwood Middle and Upper Schools (1999-2004), Brentwood, CA
Instructed mostly 7th English; also, Middle School Math and Upper English and Chemistry.
Crossroads Middle and Upper Schools (1998-2002), Santa Monica, CA
Instructed English, Science, French and Film.
Bullis School (1997), Potomac, MD, and Flint Hill School (1996-1997), VA
Instructed Middle and Upper School English and other subjects.
STUDY ABROAD & HIATUSES
Shakespeare Text and Performance (Summer 1994), London and Stratford-Upon-Avon, Georgetown University, 6 units, 3.3
Advanced Practical French (Summer 1992) Montpellier, University of New Orleans, 3 units, 4.0
1970-1977: European Youth Hostel travel; au pair work; Nurse Training in England, incomplete due to illness
Recently: I focused on my parent’s circumstances, complicated by my sibling's illness.
- Christmas Cookie Decoration Workshop for Children, Ham House, National Trust, London, United Kingdom, (Dec 2017)
- Usher for the Pasadena Symphony (Nov 2015 to May 2017), Pasadena, CA
- Usher for the Pasadena Playhouse (Dec 2015 to Jan 2017), Pasadena, CA
- Office Assistant for the Bach Festival, Carmel, CA (Summer 2014)
- Reader at Pacific Palisades Public Library through Story Telling and Reading (2011- 2012)
- House Docent for Will Rogers State Park (approximately 3 years), Pacific Palisades, CA
computer skills lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest photoshop lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, graphic design lessons for all!
Taking web development lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|