My name is Benjamin, and I am available to tutor Arabic and Maths. I studied Arabic, Economics and Politics at Durham University, where I recently graduated from. I graduated with a 2.1 from Durham, and an A grade at A-level Maths. Overall I got A*AA, with the A* coming in Spanish. I also have references and a CV available on request.
I have a lot of experience of working with kids, having worked on a number of residential summer camps as well as having worked as a football coach for children.
My teaching will involve primarily using Al-Kitaab book for Arabic, and Alif Baa for beginners, For maths, it will depend on the level. We will work through worksheets and go through problems. However, I am always open to suggestions and feedback to cater for students’ needs. I am based in Islington but I am happy to travel around London.
I have been teaching for a couple of months in Arabic and Maths, having taught three students. I studied Maths at A-Level to an A Grade, and I studied Arabic at University, gaining a strong 2.1 as well as spending a year abroad in Morocco
Name: Benjamin Bowers
Address: 34 Canonbury Park South, London, N1 2FN
Email: (concealed information)
Phone: (concealed information)3
University of Durham, studying Arabic, Economics & Politics with Year Abroad (2013-2017) Final Grade: 2.1
- Target Language Research Project: For my year abroad, I had to write a 5,000-word essay in Arabic about a chosen topic. I wrote about Morocco’s experience of the Arab Spring, for which I got 65%
- Dissertation: I have written a dissertation project on authoritarian resilience in Algeria, and the strategies its government deployed in order to avoid the Arab Spring
Spanish – A*, Maths – A, Politics – A, History (AS) – B
5A* (Spanish, Maths, German, French & English Literature)
6A (English Language, Geography, Religious Studies, History, Biology, PE)
University College School (2002-2011) & King’s School, Canterbury (2011-2013)
Arsenal in the Community (2017-18)
- Participant on the Arsenal Gap Year Programme. This involves coaching in local schools and coaching abroad on a three-month placement. (concealed information)0
- Provided Coach Education by a UEFA Coach to go and coach in schools, starting in January.
- In the process of gaining a Level 1 coaching qualification, which will then lead to a Level 2 coaching badge and a TEFL qualification.
Teneo Blue Rubicon (2017):
- Interned for two weeks at a PR organization in the Political Affairs department.
- Liaised with MP’s offices regarding their attendance at Teneo’s clients’ events.
- Wrote background biographies for politicians who were attending client’s events.
- Carried out research and background checks on a potential client.
- Sat in on company meetings, including a workshop on crisis management.
Centre for Policy Studies (2016):
- Interned for five weeks at a political think-tank
- Wrote articles on domestic political issues, including economic analysis and policy recommendations.
- One of these articles, about grammar schools, was published in the magazine Public Sector Focus.
- Contributed articles to their online magazine, CapX, about international politics.
- Helped with economic research on key issues, such as Brexit and the European banking crisis.
- Visited Parliament to attend Select Committee hearings and watch the House of Lords in debate.
CoView Capital (2015):
- Worked for a month at a small financial advisory firm in Manhattan.
- Attended meetings with clients about raising investment.
- Researched potential investment opportunities for them.
- Updated the database of clients about deals from the past year.
Jewish Leadership Council (2015):
- Interned for five weeks at a confederation of major institutions in each sector of UK Jewish life.
- Prepared a daily media update for internal senior staff.
- Observed political developments on relevant issues via monitoring websites, social media and news outlets.
- Prepared briefings for senior staff.
- Worked on the issue of antisemitism: creating a PowerPoint for MPs and wrote an article on it.
N.M Rothschild (2012):
- Summer placement in the Information Division.
- Wrote research briefs and gained wider experience about life in a financial institution.
- Worked on a project about the RioTinto mining company.
The Economist (2012):
- Attended editorial meetings in which competing ideas were put forward and debated.
- Observed the work of different areas of the magazine.
The Canonbury Tavern (2017-2018)
- Work behind the bar at least two times a week at a local gastro pub.
- Responsibilities include pouring drinks and putting through food orders, as well as polishing glass and cutlery.
Waiter/Bar Work (2013-14 + 2017)
- I have Worked at a wide range of corporate and other events with long hours all over London and the South East, for agencies called Fuel Hospitality and TempTribe. Included venues such as Sonisphere music festival and the NFL at Wembley.
Agence France Presse (2016):
- Reported on the Olympics for a French press agency in London.
- Wrote the live blog for two weeks covering key events.
- Involved long hours, sometimes working in the newsroom until 5am..
- The coverage was disseminated to news outlets across the world.
Highland Games (2009-11):
- Summer activity camp.
- Supervising young children, assisting in organising games and sports.
- Member of Noam youth group for the last 10 years, participating in charitable events and summer camps in the UK and abroad.
- In 2012, 2013 and 2014 I was part of a team responsible for eighty 14-year-old children on a three-week residential camp. We devised and implemented educational and social programmes
- In 2015 I was in charge of the kitchen for over 500 people, which included ordering the food, making a work rota and planning the meals for 3 weeks.
Duke of Edinburgh:
- Completed the Silver award
- This included weekly volunteering at an Asylum Seeker’s Drop-in Centre for six months.
- I have worked at Sports Days at University with disabled children from the local area.
Hobbies and Interests
- I spent last year studying in Morocco at a language school as part of a year abroad programme
- I attended three Spanish language courses in Spanish speaking countries.
- In summer 2014 completed Arabic language course in Jerusalem. In 2016 I spent 3 weeks studying in Jordan
- Played football at a high level for many years at school and at university.
- Trained with a semi-professional youth team for 5 months in Morocco. Currently playing a couple of divisions below semi-professional in London.
- I was captain of my college team and we reached the cup semi-final.
- I also completed a cycling trip across the South of England and am training for a half marathon
- I have competed in a charity boxing event, fighting in front of 800 people.
- Co-host of a two hour weekly live student radio show in Durham for a year.
- I have written football articles and match reports for a fans’ website called the Fishy and a local newspaper called the Cleethorpes Chronicle.
- I covered the World Cup for a football website called MatchPint. I have also written for the Palatinate, student newspaper
- I have completed a 5-week introductory Coding Course at City Lit
References available on request
arabic lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - arabic lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - arabic lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension - arabic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£21||£21||Not available|
|5 hours||£19||£19||Not available|