The key to succeeding in English is connecting to the work and understanding the elements of language. I therefore focus on strengthening analysis techniques while exposing students to a range of texts, encouraging them to find what speaks to them.
I graduated first in my class with an English Literature and Theatre degree. I was a tutor in university and have been working with students in Inverness for more than a year. I create a supportive, responsive environment to help students prepare for school exams, better understand the mechanics of language, and broaden their experience of literature to improve their vocabularies and critical thinking.
Travel costs apply only to those students who require me to drive 15+ miles round trip.
Group lessons: £20/hr, groups no bigger than 4 students ; Individual sessions: £35/hr
MAGIC LANTERN BOOKS | Founder/Publisher/Editor
Inverness, UK / June 2017 – Present
Creating opportunities in publishing for autistic authors and illustrators; working to build a sustainable pipeline of employment for autistic people.
• Mentor autistic authors/artists through publication process.
• Develop mentor networking spanning multiple industry functions.
• Write funding requests and seek out fundraising opportunities.
• Edit manuscripts and prepare them for publication.
HIGHLAND EDITORIAL SERVICES | Owner/Editor
Inverness, UK / May 2017 – Present
Editing, proofreading, and organization of the written word in any form.
• Ensure accuracy and consistency in academic writing, manuscripts of fiction and non-fiction, business reports and communications, etc.
• Create and/or review content for web pages and press releases.
• Provide services such as social media support, project research, and office planning/organisation, including creation of filing systems.
LEVEL BEST TUTORIALS | English Literature and Writing Tutor
Inverness, UK / April 2017 – Present
Literature discussion and exam preparation for all ages.
• Tailor lesson plans, materials, and writing exercises to student needs.
• Develop students’ understanding of and experience with literary analysis techniques through discussion and practical exercise work.
• Increase exam-readiness through detailed attention on students’ choice of texts to improve skills in reading for understanding, analysis, evaluation, and in critical thinking.
LIFESCAN SCOTLAND | Global Labelling Editor
Inverness, UK / March 2013 – April 2017
Navigated tightly regulated, global environment, independently driving projects from scoping to completion, ensuring high quality, compliant labelling reached customers.
• Edited artwork content, controlled partner interactions, and managed timelines via artwork workflow management computer system.
• Built productive relationships spanning functional, departmental, and geographical boundaries to guarantee timely, cost-effective delivery of labelling strategies.
• Oversaw project issues and risks independently; led escalations through quality/regulatory reviews when required.
Planned and conducted year-long, business-critical project to update 146 pieces of country-specific data for 90 countries/ languages, resulting in quicker, more reliable turnaround for future product launches.
LIFESCAN SCOTLAND | Executive Assistant to VPs and Directors Inverness, UK / January 2005 – March 2013
Directly interacted with executive management on daily basis. Made decisions with autonomy, impacting department of 100+ employees.
• Coordinated project to increase patent applications, resulting in month-on-month increases of IP idea submissions for three quarters.
• Sourced, interviewed, and identified talent in filling roles for site administration team; team leader for site personal assistants.
• Managed for VPs and directors their communications, emails, global travel arrangements, expense report submission/approval, etc, and all human resources matters for VPs’ direct reports.
• Restructured invoicing/receipting process for two multi-million-pound supplier accounts; both brought to current status within 3 months of implementation, saving critical vendor relationships.
• Managed relationship with AMEX Corporate Travel, designed and built web page to improve traveller access to information, and created specific travel routes, resulting in savings of £149,900 in one year.
NORCOM LTD. | Marketing Assistant
Inverness, UK / August 2004 – January 2005
Temporary role to cover medical leave of Marketing Manager. Primarily responsible for assisting Managing Director and Chief Executive in creation of financial tracking spreadsheets, marketing flyers/brochures, etc.
• Championed charitable works, organizing office in supporting Wear It Pink Day as well as other local charity schemes.
• Made cold calls to local businesses for the Sales Team.
Secured advertising at the Inverness Airport, in the Yellow Pages, and other local print media.
MERCURY INSURANCE GROUP | Casualty Adjuster
Latham, NY USA / March 2003 – July 2004
Employed critical thinking and investigative reasoning to independently determine the course of action in car insurance claim investigations.
• Assigned property damage appraisers, independent investigators and attorneys as necessary to gather information.
• Solely determined percentage of fault/values awarded in settlement of property damage, collision, comprehensive and bodily injury claims.
WEIGHT WATCHERS OF THE EASTERN REGION | Operations Assistant
Paramus, NJ USA / April 2002 – March 2003
Supported 22 territory managers, Operations Manager, and Finance Manager in administrative tasks; extensive use of MS Publisher to create requisite posters for Weight Watchers Centers.
• Placed seasonal advertising in each of 22 territories after assessing market needs to ensure message was geared to target audience.
• Supported Finance Director with report creation and other tasks as required; extensive use of MS Excel.
HARPERCOLLINS CHILDREN’S BOOKS | Editorial Assistant
New York, NY USA / October 2000 – March 2002
DIAL BOOKS FOR YOUNG READERS | Editorial Assistant
New York, NY USA / June 1999 – October 2000
Learned editorial trade by assisting Editorial Director and Executive Editor.
• Provided confidential first point of contact for authors, artists.
• Created flap, catalog and title information copy (12 books per year).
• Completed first-pass copyedits and follow-ups with copyediting department for every title on list (12 books per year).
• Contributed to all editorial decisions, i.e. choosing artists, page layout, color correcting artwork, etc.
Perfect! Carrie is very good at adapting quickly to the needs of her pupils. She has developed a positive rapport with our son.
Rory is doing well and seems to be improving in confidence. His understanding is great, as is his reasoning. Improving his expression of his thoughts will be the focus going forward.
Good! Have only had a few lessons so a bit early to assess but has been able to engage a teenager-always a plus!
Shona’s daughter and I have been working together for a few weeks now and making great progress. Looking forward to a long association. :-)
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, 11+ school exam preparation lessons for all!
Taking test prep lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|