I base my approach on helping a student make their musical life their own. The guiding principle is what the student wants to achieve, and once those goals are clear we can collaboratively form a concrete set of tasks. There is no one size fits all method, and identifying what students want in the musical life is vital to the process. If they play an instrument or have another musical discipline that will be integrated into my teaching as neither theory nor composition exist in a vacuum. Regardless of their chosen form or field every student can learn something from asking the 'why' questions about their art. Fundamentally my job is to encourage growth and give students a grounding that they can rely on.
I am a London based freelance composer and singer, and I'm about to start my second year of my master's degree at the Royal Academy of Music. Coaching and music directing have been a part of my musical life since going to university in 2014. I have worked with singers for shows such as Cabaret, Yeoman of the Guard, and more recently Princess Ida. Many of those singers were from a variety of backgrounds and skill levels, so being able to explain concepts in multiple ways has been a great skill I have developed. I started teaching in a more formal manner about two years ago, including the children's choir I direct and several private students. My composition work has been premiered by many excellent performers including the CHROMA ensemble and the Fisher Consort. I have composed for both the theatre and short films, and many concerts at the Royal Academy. As a singer my most recent work is playing the Duke in Brent Opera's production of Rigoletto in February 2020, and I still hold a lay clerkship at St. Barnabas Ealing.
If cancellation occurs within 24 hours of the lesson time then the student will still be charged the full amount. If circumstances are such that a student was unable to attend for a good reason I may waive the fee at my discretion. If a student misses a lesson without any notification then the full fee will also still be expected.
- BA in Music from Cambridge (2017)
- Masters in Music from the Royal Academy of Music (ongoing/2021)
- LRAM from the Royal Academy of Music (ongoing/2020)
- Composer: 'Lumen De Lumine' Commissioned by Stella Cadente (2019), Premiere of 'Tactile' at the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield (2019), 'Misted Lights' premiered by members of the CHROMA ensemble (2018), 'Lord, Thou Hast Been Our Refuge' premiered by the Fisher Consort at the Brandenburg Choral Festival, (2017)
- Musical Director: Princess Ida (2019, Asssitant), Children's Choir of St. Barnabas Ealing, Cabaret (2017), Yeoman of the Guard (Harrogate festival, 2016), The Jesus Singers (2014-2017)
- Singer: Duke of Mantua (Rigoletto 2019), Lay Clerk St. Barnabas Ealing, Choral Scholar of Jesus College Cambridge, member of the Iken Scholars, The Fisher consort, and the London Philharmonic Choir
singing lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, music theory lessons for all!
Taking composition lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£35||£35|
|5 hours||Not available||£150||£175|
|10 hours||Not available||£250||£350|