Experienced tutor taking you to high achievements in maths, statistics, stochastics, physics and engineering
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
* Mathematics: KS, (I)GCSE and AS/A2 (C1-C4, S1-S4, M1-M4, FP1-FP3) for Edexcel, AQA, OCR/CIE, MEI exam bodies; IB (SL&HL), AP Calculus (AB & BC); college/university (foundation/undergraduate/support): linear and matrix algebra; eigenvalues; calculus; complex variables; analytical geometry; differential equations; Taylor and Fourier series; Fourier / Laplace / z-transformations; special functions; holomorph functions; vector spaces; vectors, dyadics and tensors, etc.
* Statistics, probability: GCSE and AS/A2 (S1-S4) for Edexcel, AQA, OCR/CIE, MEI exam bodies, IB (SL&HL), AP, college/university (foundation/undergraduate/postgraduate): theory & applications in science, engineering, finance/economics, biomedical and social sciences: SPSS output data analysis and manual computations for: probability distributions & characteristics (discrete & continuous), probability, bi- & multi-variate correlation and regression; inference (confidence intervals, hypothesis testing: z- and t-tests, ANOVA, chi-square; nonparametric tests), Type I/II errors, principal component & factor analysis, uncertainty budgets, etc.
* Stochastic processes: time series analysis, correlation, nonstationarity, Ito calculus, drift & diffusion, Brownian motion, Wiener processes, stochastic differential equations, Fokker-Planck equations, martingales, (V)AR(I)MA processes, cointegration, ECM, prediction & estimation, forecasting, etc.
* Quantitative methods for econometrics, business and finance: risk hedging, asset pricing, arbitrage; index numbers, depreciation; percentages, interest rates; risk/utility (RFT/EUT/PT), time series analysis, etc.
* Physics: (I)GCSE and AS/A2 for Edexcel, AQA, OCR/CIE, MEI exam bodies; IB and AP
* Engineering: specialising in electrical & electronics; also selected topics in mechanical, semiconductor/solid-state & civil engineering and fluid mechanics/thermodynamics
* Available for guidance & advice on research work (quantitative aspects)
- Tell me about your qualifications.
* BSc & MSc Applied Physics & Engineering Science
* MSc Communication Engineering & Digital Electronics
* PhD Electrical Engineering
* Part-time professor at Imperial College London
* Lead senior scientist at a major research laboratory, specialising in electromagnetics and wireless communications systems in time-varying complex environments
- How much do you charge?
* See above for list of specific rates, per person.
* Two or more students attending simultaneously: £10 per additional student
* Travel to the tutee's home or a third location: small additional contribution toward travel time and cost may apply (TBD case by case)
- Where do you teach?
* At tutee's home or at my place.
* Other boroughs/areas covered:
- Central/West/Southwest London
- Richmond, Kingston-upon-Thames, Hounslow, Kensington, Esher
- When are you available?
Weekdays (daytime/evenings - timings TBD) and weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
No restrictions on age nor ability, but personal commitment is essential.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
* National curriculum school exams (KS, GCSE, IGCSE, AS/A2, IB)
* College/University exams (Foundation/Undergraduate/Postgraduate)
* Entrance exams (11+, non-verbal reasoning, BMAT/UKMAT, etc.)
* Job interview tests (quantitative aspects).
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
Available for distant e-learning via e-mail correspondence or Skype.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
* There are only three roads to success: practice, practice, practice. Do not keep chewing the theory over and over again; only excercises & applications provide you with real insight, skill and understanding.
* Choose the best tutor you can get, who suits you personally and who is able to explain things in simple terms – the hallmark of true understanding. I aspire to fulfil these qualities for you. Don't settle for a mediocre tutor, because (s)he won't be able to lift you to the highest level and release your highest potential
* Understanding questions and solution methods (not just how they work, but also why and when they are to be chosen) is a major stumbling block for many students and is what I'm specialising in helping you with. This is particularly important in application areas of maths (e.g., in physics, engineering, statistics and economics). Developing a deeper understanding of subjects through my transfer of experience and expertise to you is vital to become successful in tackling novel non-standard types of exam questions and in practice. This is of increasing importance as A-level and University exam questions become ever more difficult and sophisticated to separate the very good from the very best under increased competition for places.
* Always carry out small checksums and quick qualitative checks to ensure your results are feasible. In physics and engineering, check consistency of units. Work and practice regularly (daily - yes, that is though), not just before the exam. If you have time, consult different texts and books; each time you will see the topic from a different point of view which will increase your understanding immensely.
Luke is one of our best tutors. They have a high-quality profile, verified qualifications, a quick response time, and great reviews from students!
- What kind of experience do you have?
* Both academic and professional-practical experience in all technical-scientific subjects & levels, hence well positioned to solve and place into context both standard and non-standard scholar and professional problems & issues
* More than 10 years in the listed subjects at all levels, ranging from youngsters to College/University level as well as for professional use.
* Some experience with teaching dyslexic students
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
* Fellow of the Institution of Engineering & Technology (FIET) (UK)
* Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (SMIEEE) (US)
* Chairman of a Joint Task Force in the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) (Switzerland)
* Member of the Institution of Telecommunication Professionals (ITP) (UK)
- Tell me about some of your current students.
(Click above web link to see sample testimonials.)
I have successfully helped numerous students in preparing and revising for their courses and exams in maths, statistics, physics, egnineering and business studies. I successfully helped a 1st-year BSc Maths student at U. Oxford preparing for his transfer exam on all his maths subjects, following a gap year, several MSc students in engineering and in economics/business. I have helped various Foundation/UG/PG students at Universities/Colleges in London (UCL,KCL, LSE, QMUL, Birkbeck, City, Cass, Tanaka, Royal Holloway, Westminster, Kingston, Roehampton, Regent's School, etc.), Bristol, Nottingham, Coventry, Newcastle, etc., particularly with statistics (all aspects, incl. SPSS analysis) and engineering. I have tutored youngsters to further enhance their maths skills and introduce them to physical phenomena. I have helped mature students preparing for job interviews tests and brushing up on basic numeracy/maths skills (e.g. percentages, fractions, etc.).
• Extensive teaching experience at all levels. Patient, approachable, friendly, reliable, knowledgeable, high-quality tutor.
• BSc & MSc Applied Physics, MSc Communication Engineering & Digital Electronics, PhD Electrical Engineering
• CRB checked (standard)
• Fellow IET, Senior Member IEEE, Member ITP, Chairman IEC JTF, part-time Professor Imperial College, Lead scientist
See above web site link for sample testimonial
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|