In the engineering and mathematics subject I provide tuition based on full understanding of the subject matter as well as the methodology employed in its usage.
When teaching English I used the communicative Method, thus ensuring that the student can be understood in spoken and written English
I am a professional marine engineer with 40 years experience in the field up to senior management positions. I am available to tutor English as a second language for which I am certified. I am also available to tutor Engineering subjects and Mathematics
Gordon Bain MIMarEST IEng BSc(Hons)
Based in Prestwick, UK; globally flexible on the next work location
Tel: +44 (0) 1(concealed information) Email: (concealed information)
Dynamic, target-driven chief engineering and management professional, with transferable skills gained in the international marine construction and engineering sector. A strong team player and leader who drove forward the project lifecycle with a focus on meeting specifications, stakeholder expectations and safety standards in a fast-paced environment. Displays excellent faultfinding abilities and effective management strategies; led and motivated multi-disciplinary and multinational personnel. Efficiently planned and executed extensive heavy operations within a high pressure workplace.
Seeking a Technical Superintendent, Vessel/Fleet Manager, Chief Engineer, or Consultant role, using experience at a marine engineering organisation to achieve long-term objectives.
CORE COMPETENCIES and ACHIEVEMENTS
Multi-vessel experience as Chief Engineer. Vessel variants encompassed: crude oil carriers; coastal and clean products tankers; extremely large ore oilers; passenger ferries (including a catamaran); dredgers; floating storage units; floating production storage off-loaders.
High proficiency with ad hoc assignments. Handled responsibility for the removal of a 250MT SWL travelling crane from a vessel’s deck at short notice for AESM. This involved designing/fitting lifting lugs and sectioning crane for a multi-lift to a tight time-frame.
Comprehensive engineering abilities. Combined hands-on build and mechanical engineering experience with training in electrical and electronic engineering, academic learning and numerous company in-house courses.
Financial awareness. Responsible for a budget of $750K per vessel OPEX annually and $2M per vessel CAPEX 5 yearly at Teekay Shipping. Ensured that strict cost control on all aspects of vessel expenditure was enforced and took actions necessary to operate at budget level.
Emphasis on safety. Recorded zero LTIs from 2008-15; complied with IMO resolutions, flag state and classification rules plus policies and procedures (including ISO900:2008, ISO14001:2004, ISO18001:2007 and ISM code).
Technically astute and IT literate. Assisted with the roll out of dedicated AESM docking management software. Overcame issues such as incompatibility between different modules within the package, working alongside developers to help integrate all parts into a usable tool.
Project management abilities. Successfully led recommissioning by Shell of 4 MISC owned vessels, initially in Stavanger with docking in the Mediterranean. Offloaded first cargo in Japan and recorded incident-free operations. Oversaw the conversion of a VLCC to heavy lift vessel. New build commissioning of VLCC’s at HHI Shipyard Ulsan Korea.
TECHNICAL CAREER HISTORY
MAY 2017 – Present Chief Engineer Kendall Aggregates, Portsmouth, UK
Chief engineer on a suction pipe 2000dwt dredger.
2 lifts per day from Solent to home berth at Portsmouth.
In charge of all engineering aspects of this recently converted dredger
2008 – 2017 Chief Engineer/Superintendent Teekay Shipping (Singapore),
One of the world's largest marine energy transportation, storage and production companies
Sailed as Chief Engineer on Helga Spirit, a 130000dwt crude oil tanker trading between Houston and Brazil/Mexico.
Completed numerous SIRE vettings with zero avoidable observations attributable to the engineering department.
• Assigned to Matterhorn Spirit, an Ice Class tanker; acted as temporary Superintendent at the Head Office in Singapore.
• Planned, controlled and executed all activities connected with operational readiness, repairs, survey and full certification.
• Carried out vessel visits, inspections and technical audits; prepared reports covering all areas of vessel management.
• Provided dry dock/ refit specifications; evaluated tender returns with the Fleet Engineering Manager; raised insurance claims.
• Managed dry docks to agreed time-frames and budgets; ensured that adequate spare parts were held on board.
• Appointed to an interim First Engineer role in 08/2015 on a bucket dredger operating exclusively across UK waters.
2004 – 2008 Superintendent Engineer AESM, worldwide
Anglo Eastern Ship Management – global ship management group offering a wide range of services.
• Permanently involved with Dockwise, a heavy lift specialist ship owner, leading 4-5 vessels at a time during this period.
• Embraced the challenge of 4 heavy lift/tankers; dry docked these and undertook CAS surveys prior to the removal of tanker status.
• Involved with the conversion of Front Target from a tanker to a heavy lift vessel. Took delivery from Nantong.
1997 – 2004 Chief Engineer Vela International Marine
• Chief Engineer on company owned VLCCs; stood by various vessels from initial keel laying up to delivery to the client.
• New Build Chief Engineer in 2002 to understudy the existing New Build Manager during the construction of 4 ULCCs.
1998 Superintendent Engineer JP Knight Ltd, Guyana
• Managed a fleet of river and seagoing tugs and covered barges; in charge of a Berbice River repair facility on a rotational basis.
• Led a small dry dock construction project 100 miles upriver, using local manpower and materials.
• Worked as Assistant Engineer at James Fisher to enhance medium speed main engine expertise.
Up to 1997 Cadet to First Engineer Shell Tankers, worldwide
• Worked on company owned and chartered vessels (including the LNG fleet, VLCCs, and North Sea shuttle tankers).
• Served on LNG vessels, including guarantee and dry docking; worked as Cargo Engineer on both Technigaz and Gaztransport systems.
• Set and verified control and safety devices for cargo handling; controlled the warm up of the cargo system and an inert gas generating plant.
• Assisted with the start-up of the Banio project in Gabon; involved in commissioning Shell managed ships owned by MISC.
1996 Second Engineer Condor Ferries, British Virgin Islands
A temporary position taken during a leave to gain Motor vessel experience
1995 Maintenance Supervisor (FSPOs) Scottish Midland, North Sea
A temporary position taken to gain experience in the offshore industry
2015 Second Engineer. ABP
Temporary position with ABP on a bucket dredger to gain experience of the dredging industry
PERSONAL SKILLS and DEVELOPMENT
IMarEST Full Member, Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
IEng Registered with the Engineering Council
Planned: M.Eng to gain Chartered Status, IMarEST – at proposal stage of Doctoral paper
Offered a research placement from Cambridge University leading to doctorate and full membership of the Institute of Nuclear Engineers
Qualification: Class 1 Steam and Motor Certificate of Competency;
Liberian Chief Engineer License Steam and Motor;
Bahamas Chief Engineer License Steam and Motor – fully STCW compliant
Marshall Islands Chief Engineer License Steam and Motor
STCW: Personal Safety and Social responsibilities; Medical Care Onboard Ship;
Advanced Fire Fighting; Crude Oil Washing; Petroleum Tanker Safety;
Personal Survival; Survival Craft and Rescue Boats; Inert Gas – valid courses
Degree: BSc in Technology (2:1) – Open University
Courses: Sulzer RTA – Wintertur, Switzerland;
Norcontrol Engine Management;
Burmeister and Wain MC and ME Engines – Copenhagen, Denmark;
Advanced Datachief and Autochief 4 – Kongsberg, Dubai;
Others: Change Management, Marine Risk Assessment, Accident Investigation –
DNV;CPD Course, Incident Investigation – Teekay, India; Vibration Analysis – VCI;
Ship Inspection and Corrosion – Lloyds Register; other courses
Qualified teacher of English as a Foreign Language
Certificate for teaching Business English
Certificate to teach young learners
Certificate for teaching English Grammar
Cisco computer networking certified
Interests: Golf; restoring classic cars; an avid reader; flying – Private Pilots Licence (UK)
Personal: British with residency in Viet Nam and the UK; excellent references available
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|