While my lessons are tailored to the individuals needs of each student, I aim to get all of my students speaking real-life conversations fast, taking the learning beyond basic vocabulary learning. My content is interactive and diverse, always aiming to challenge students with new material. I use authentic materials used for native speakers, which I find to be more engaging than a textbook. I enjoy using material such as radio podcasts, magazines, online articles and television clips to expose my students to English from a wide variety of sources.
I have been tutoring English as a second language for over 5 years, both in-person and virtually, in the UK and various locations overseas. I offer interactive, engaging lessons to build students' confidence in speaking and writing English comfortably. I have taught students individually, in small groups and entire classes. My students' ages range from 3-30 years old. I am passionate about enabling intercultural understanding through language and communication.
SOAS, University of London—Sep 2019-Present, Master’s Degree, Social Anthropology of Development, graduating Sep 2020
University of Leeds— Sep 2012-July 2016, Bachelor’s Degree, English Literature and Classics, with a year abroad
The City of Norwich School —Sep 2010-June 2012, A Levels, A* (Sociology), A (Philosophy), B (English), AS Level, B (Psychology)
Hellesdon High School Sep 2006-June 2010 — 10 GCSEs including English (A*), Science (A) and Maths
A full-time student, studying for a Master’s in Social Anthropology of Development at SOAS, University of London. Seeking opportunities in higher education and student support roles.
(Sep 2019 —Present) Lunch-time Coordinator, Ecole Jeannine Manuel, London
• Supervise primary level children during their lunch time at a bilingual French and English-speaking
• Escort students to a local park, ensuring their safety at all times.
• Work in a multilingual environment to communicate with students in both French and English, helping
them to improve their language skills.
(Sep 2018 —Present) Private Tutor, Self Employed, London
• Providing tailored, engaging lessons in Primary, GCSE, A-Level and Degree Level English Literature and
Language, as well as English as a second language.
• Working with students aged 3-30.
• Adapting teaching and communication style to student’s specific needs.
(May 2018—Present) Content Writer and Editor, The Cultural Me, Remote
• Write SEO-optimized micro-articles for an app-based art and culture encyclopedia.
• Research topical content with a focus on sustainable development.
• Edit contributions from other writers for clarity, grammatical correctness, concise language and impact
of the message.
(Aug 2018-Sep 2019) University Access Officer, The Access Project, London
• Worked for a charity that supports high potential young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to progress to top universities.
• Managed the delivery of a mentoring and tutoring programme in two secondary schools, supporting over
120 young people to improve attainment and access university.
• Contributed to programme design and quality assurance.
• Piloted new intervention activities and delivered events.
• Managed relationship between the charity and external stakeholders, including their partner funder, C.
Hoare & Co.
(Sep 2017-May 2018) English Language Teaching Assistant, The British Council, Martinique
• Managed up to 30 native French-speaking students in classrooms by delivering engaging language
exercises to enhance English proficiency.
• Developed and maintained a steady list of clients for regular private English classes.
• Created small group workshops to reinforce writing skills, vocabulary and speech.
• Assisted native French teachers with lesson planning and teaching in English.
(May 2017 – September 2017) Customer Service and Administrative Assistant, Wensum Valley Medical Practice West Earlham
• Worked with a small team to fulfill a range of administrative duties, including triaging patients, booking
appointments, dealing with complaints and queries, and registering patients to the surgery.
• Liaised with pharmacists and doctors/nurses about specific patients.
• Liaising with IT support, logging issues through standard channels, keeping relevant and accurate
records of patient data, and escalating issues where necessary.
(August 2016 – December 2016) Call Handler, East of England Ambulance Service
• Worked in a high-pressure environment to book patients onto non-emergency ambulance transport.
• Dealt with a wide variety of customer complaints and queries.
• Inputted sensitive patient data efficiently and with meticulous accuracy.
(Sep 2015-May 2016) Events and Communications Intern, University of Leeds, Leeds
• Contributed to ‘Leeds for Life’ alumni initiative, assisting with communications and events management of employability events for undergraduate students.
• Coordinated all events planning tasks, meeting with stakeholders, and outreach.
• Created internal communication content for social media, newsletters, email and live events.
• Analysed previous marketing materials for future success.
• Delivered career workshops for undergraduate students, encouraging alumni and graduate employers to attend as guest speakers.
• Content writing and editing - academic, social media, blog posts, newsletters (digital and print)
• Communication - verbal, written, visual, and interpersonal
• Cross-cultural – gained through living and working abroad
• Research - data collection (qualitative and quantitative), logical reasoning, critical analysis
• Language - limited proficiency in French as a second language (B1 level)
(Sep 2015-May 2016) Homework Club Volunteer, Leeds
• Worked as a volunteer at a homework club for refugee children.
• Supported with school curriculum as well as basic English speaking and writing proficiency.
• Led engaging, interactive sessions to introduce children into aspects of British culture.
Available upon request
Perfect! Katie is a great teach, maybe the best one that i've never had. It helped me improve my English a lot. Fun and interesting lessons.
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, accent reduction-english lessons for all!
Taking EFL lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|