Hello there! I am a fully qualified German and English language teacher and have worked as a German and English language private tutor for over ten years.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach German to all levels, and English as a foreign language. I am also capable of teaching business German. Beside German and English, I also teach Bosnian / Croatian / Serbian at all levels.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I hold a B.A in English Language and Literature, as well as a B.A. in German Language and Literature. I have also obtained an M.A in European Studies in Germany and Denmark.
- How much do you charge?
My basic fee is £40.00 for a one hour lesson (60 minutes). In case I visit your home for the private classes, I charge a regular train ticket from New Malden to your place and back to New Malden (approximately £5).
- Where do you teach?
Mostly I teach at home, but I can come to your home or office if it is more convenient for you. If you are very far away, then I am equipped to teach via Skype.
I have had students from Kingston, New Malden, Berrylands, Surbiton, Richmond, Wimbledon, Parsons Green, Fulham Broadway, Sutton, Streatham Common, Twickenham, Teddington, Morden, Stoneleigh, Clapham, Richmond, Kew Gardens, Vauxhall, Balham, Pimlico, Putney, Aldwych, Chiswick, Kensington, Chelsea, Hammersmith and Ealing.
- When are you available?
I am usually available throughout the day and also on the weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach from age 5 to 99.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I tailor my teaching style according to the needs of each student. I believe the key to success is to build each student's interest and provide them with the confidence to converse. Helping children with education is my passion and I want to share the excitement of language learning! The teaching method includes combining various interesting teaching techniques, and thereby not only focusing on following strict grammar rules, but also using the language in communication of everyday activities.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have previously been a primary school German and English teacher for several years, and obtained a Masters degree in social science and international relations from a university in Germany and Denmark afterwards. I have a wealth of teaching experience having taught business German and English, including German and English for daily living purposes to professionals and those seeking German and English for every-day use. I have also conducted teacher training programmes for various Embassies.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
May 2016 – Oct 2016
Teacher Training Programme Volunteer at the Amnesty International UK
Assisting the Education Officer in the development and delivery of the Amnesty Teacher Programme CPD course, preparing resources, arranging activities and liaising with external organisations:
• supporting the course and conference organisation, e.g. managing the booking process and communicating with speakers and delegates
• promoting the Programme through different channels including social media
• contributing to the ongoing development of the Programme including growing the network of teachers who participate
• researching, creating and developing new resources aimed at teachers and young people
2006 - present Private tutor for English and German language
• Teaching German to young students and adults for academic and business purposes
• Private tutor teaching business English for internet company (ekapija.ba), BiH Sept 2009 - Mar 2010
Sept 2011 -
Aug 2012 English Head Teacher in Musa Ćazim Ćatić Primary School, Sarajevo, BiH
Responsible as the head teacher for the 10-year-old class and to conduct parents’ meetings; Also responsible for all English classes across the age range 6 to 13
14 months between
Feb 2009 - June 2011 English Teacher in Primary School Sladna in Srebrenik, BiH
English teacher across the age range 6 to 13
Oct 2012 – June 2015
M.A. EUROPEAN STUDIES – Europe University Flensburg (EUF), Germany
M.Sc. / Cand.soc. EUROPEAN STUDIES – University of Southern Denmark (SDU), Denmark
• European economics, politics, law, history and culture with an emphasis on the role of regions and regional particularities of Europe in a political, socio-economical and cultural context but also covers wider international law as context
Scholarship holder at Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Germany; Completed the Master thesis with the best mark (1st Class equivalent)
Sept 2003 – Sept 2015 B.A. GERMAN LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
Faculty of Philosophy, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) including a year abroad (Oct 2007 – Feb 2008) at the University Ernst-Moritz-Arndt in Greifswald, Germany
Sept 2004 - June 2010 B.A. ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
Faculty of Philosophy, University of Sarajevo, BiH
Sept 1999 -
May 2003 MESA SELIMOVIC HIGH SCHOOL, Tuzla, BiH
Focused on foreign languages: English, German, French and Latin in the Philological department
Additional projects and committee memberships
April 2014-July 2014
Internship at European Centre for Minority Issues, Flensburg (Germany)
Worked on Minority Map and Timeline of Europe (MMTE), the flagship project of ECMI responsible for a sweeping examination of minorities within all states and regions of Europe. My responsibility was data collection, data analysis, reporting and presentation to provide an impartial perspective and evaluation of minorities, minority issues and minority-majority relations within Bosnia and Herzegovina
May 2013 – July 2014 Committee Secretary to Flensburg JEF (Young European Federalists) group / charter
• Actively participating and holding discussions with other like-minded people to encourage debate on EU topics such as the principles of democracy, solidarity, cooperation and federalism
• Responsible for summarising discussions at each meeting and the agenda for the next meeting is compiled and distributed
Social Events Manager at the Cross-Border Conference OstseeMUN in Flensburg, Germany and Sønderborg, Denmark
• Responsible for organising and conducting social activities at the conference - devising the event concept, managing logistics and coordinating social events
Sept 2013 – Sept 2014
Incoming Exchange (Global Talent) at OE AIESEC SDB, Denmark
• Overall responsible for all incoming exchange activities in AIESEC in Denmark. Searching for internship opportunities for student exchange. Promoting AIESEC at the University
Student tutor in Student Guide programme at University of Flensburg
• Responsible for looking after new-comers – providing guidance and managing expectation of the course
English Fluent (written and verbal)
German Fluent (written and verbal)
Bosnian / Croatian / Serbian Native
Personal skills and Interests
IT skills MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS Power Point
Interests Volleyball, Handball, Reading, Foreign languages
Meliha has been teaching my child for GCSE German and I must say that she is a very professional tutor who goes the extra mile to make sure my child learns with interest. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for an excellent tutor who is also really good value for money.
Meliha has been an amazing tutor for my daughter. She needed help to gain confidence in speaking and Meliha has certainly helped with that. She has also helped her understand so much of the grammar.
My daughter is home educated and had taught herself a lot of German, with Melihas`s help she has just completed her GCSE and is now going to study A level.
We would highly recommend Meliha as a tutor, she is very reliable and always prepared for lessons and is fully aware of the syllabus. She is also really friendly and approachable.
german lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|