I am a tutor and proofreader. I primarily tutor in the North-East of England. I am prepared to take on students of any disposition, from the nervous and struggling type to the confident and capable type.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
My subjects are as follows:
1) Essay Writing
3) Religious Studies
4) Study Skills
5) GCSE English
I also offer a proof-reading and copy-editing service to students from all disciplines. Note: all essays will be sent through a plagiarism software detector.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
My qualifications include:
1) MA Theology and Religion (Merit)-Durham University (2011-2012). Degree awarded with Postgraduate Durham Award (2012), a course designed to enable students to develop and exploit transferable skills. 1 of 100 people to receive the award (4.5% of the postgraduate year).
2) BA Theology (First Class Honours)-Leeds Trinity and All Saints University College (2008-2011). Degree awarded with Bradford Diocesan Award (2011) and Leeds Trinity Theology Prize (2009). Both awards given for outstanding academic performance (1 of 3 people to in the year to receive these awards).
3) A-levels-Religious Studies, Business Studies, and English Language. Gosforth High School (2006-2008).
4) GCSEs-7 GCSEs, including English Language (A) and Literature (B). Gosforth High School (2004-2006).
My other relevant training includes:
1) PTLLS (Preparation to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector) Level 4, Advance Training Academy (2014).
2) SFEP Proofreading and Copy-editing 1: Introductory Courses, Society for Editors and Proofreaders (2014).
- How much do you charge?
1) GCSE tuition: £25 per hour
2) A Level tuition: £30 per hour
3) Degree tuition: £35 per hour
4) Weekend tuition: subject rate + additional £10 per hour
5) Group tuition: groups can consist of two or more students. Prices are the subject hourly rate minus one third per student.
6) Providing feedback on past paper questions: £15 per script. Note: these prices are for exam scripts done in tutoring sessions. For prices on student essays, dissertations and PhD theses, see Section 2: Proofreading and copy-editing.
7) Cancellation policy: admittedly, cancellation of lessons is unavoidable for a number of reasons, i.e. sudden illness. However, I ask that you give me 48 hours' notice. If lessons are cancelled at less than 48 hours' notice, I will charge the full fee.
1) Proofreading: £10 per 1000 words
2) Technical copyediting: £20 per 1000 words
3) Structural copyediting: £25 per 1000 words
4) Substantive copyediting: £30 per 1000 words
- Where do you teach?
I offer two types of tuition:
1) Face-to-face: tuition is conducted at the student's home. It is always good practice to have an adult around the house. Face-to-face tuition is available to any student within reasonable travelling distance of Newcastle City Centre.
2) Online: tuition is conducted via phone, Skype and email (depending on the client preference). Online tuition is available to any student in the UK.
- When are you available?
Tuition takes place between 4-8pm Monday-Friday. There is also limited availability at weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Firstly, I teach at GCSE and Standard Grade level (15-16 years). Secondly, I teach A level and Higher level (17-18 years). Finally, I teach University level (18+ years).
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
In addition to the qualifications mentioned in the previous question, I also proofread and edit essays at university level.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I vary my online tutoring arrangements depending on what works best for my tutees. However, most of the online tutees that I have tutored want help with both knowledge and essay-writing. To help them gain further knowledge, I send them a handout, discussion questions and (if neccessary) a background on key thinkers via email. We can then discuss the questions and knowledge over the phone. To help them improve their essay writing skills, I send them past paper questions via email. I then teach them an essay writing formula and how to apply it to past paper questions. I do this over the phone. I then request my tutees to type of draft answers to the questions and email them to me. I can then look over them and return feedback either via email or phone (depending on what is more appropriate for the person).
- Do you have a personal message for students?
â€œWe are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.â€
Excellence isn't a skill but an attitude. It's about improving the quality of what you have to offer. An excellent attitude is a catalyst and it sparks extraordinary results. But to learn this attitude requires someone who believes in and will bring out the best in you. Let me teach excellence, and discover a potential you never knew you had.
- What kind of experience do you have?
My experience is twofold:
1) Classroom assistance
2) Guest teaching and tutoring
I have done classroom work at Gateshead Volunteering and Opportunities Centre and New College Durham. My duties involved: helping struggling students with classroom activities, helping them to express themselves and dealing with classroom behavioural issues. When working with students, I was noted for being approachable, compassionate, kind and patient.
On top of this, I have given guest lessons in Theology and Religious studies at Leeds Trinity University College, Jesmond Methodist Church, Gosforth High School and the Royal Grammar School. Since I started tutoring in the North East, I have tutored students from Durham, Dunston, Gateshead, Gosforth and Sunderland.
Both teachers and students have acknowledged my sessions as organised, stimulating and thorough.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
I trained to be a teacher in lifelong learning at Advance Training Academy (2014).
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I work at Durham University as a voluntary Theology Research Assistant. I am also an associate of the Society for Proofreaders and Editors.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Since 2013, I have taught Religious Studies to eleven students. Many of them either found the subject very difficult to understand, or felt badly let down by the teacher. They usually want help with extra knowledge of the subject and essay-writing technique. Seven tutees were A Level students in the AQA, OCR and Edexcel syllabus. Two were GCSE students covering the IGCSE and OCR curriculum. Tutees have achieved grades A*-C and have gone onto both sixth form, university The remaining two are foundation degree students from Cambridge; seeking ordination. It is my hope that they will achieve their goal by the end of this year.
I currently teach GCSE English to a student in Cramlington, and essay-writing to university students in both Mathematics and Psychology.
• BA Theology (1st Class Honours)-Leeds Trinity and All Saints University College (2008-2011)
• MA Theology and Religion (Merit)-Durham University (2011-2012)
• DBS certified
• Durham University
Michael has been an incredibly reliable tutor, the lessons were very well planned and clearly thought out. It was very helpful that he was willing to cater to individual learning styles and willing to respond to feedback. I think that he would be most helpful for those doing GCSEs and A Levels. Overall, a positive experience, he put in maximum effort to the tutoring sessions.
You always prepared for each session sending materials prior to the tutoring. You are a very committed teacher, dedicated and caring. You impressed Anna with your knowledge and broadened and deepened her thoughts and ideas as well as her vocabulary. She would not have achieved her grade B if it was not for you. Thank you so much for all your help and support.
Michael is a dedicated, supportive and patient tutor, and took the time to create tutoring sessions which were designed with jack's learning style in mind. Michael gave excellent advice and guidance in his subject in preparation for both the AS RE exam, but also essay writing techniques for A2 as he knew this was an area which Jack needed help in developing his skills. I would have no hesitation in recommending Michael's services to anyone. Thank you Michael for your help and support!
Michael worked with Rachel helping her to direct her studies and fill in the gaps of her knowledge. He discussed concepts to give her a more well rounded understanding of the subject and helped her structure her answers for a GCSE exam. He did all this in an engaging manner which resulted in Rachel developing a real interest and enjoyment of the subject and she achieved an A* in her exam! Michael is a very dedicated and supportive tutor and we would highly recommend him!
Michael gives my son Joe tutoring, which Joe was rather dubious about to begin with, however it is working well. He is studying for A levels and has dyslexia, I wanted a tutor that could vary their teaching method to accommodate a dyslexic learner and he has done that.
Michael clarifies at the start of each session what will be covered, ensures that is what my son requires and at the end that he has understood the session.
I approached Michael because I was struggling to write university essays. Over the period of use, Michael helped correct all grammar and spelling, even giving me advice on how to structure the sentences and paragraphs. He was very thorough and efficient, it made my university work more readable which helped gain them few extra marks. Also, the suggestions he made were easy to apply and my overall English writing has gotten better. I would recommend Michael to anyone who wishes to improve their work.
My son's confidence had been eroded when he got a bad result for his mock exam in January. This is when Michael came on board. He immediately began building up my son's confidence and skills. Michael has gone beyond my expectations by giving Alex practical tips and strategies in exam technique. Alex gets on with him very well and looks forward to his visits, which makes learning easier. His knowledge has greatly improved. Michael's time keeping is impeccable too. He is always on time.
Our family found Michael very professional and supportive. He engaged with our son and was reliable and prompt with his tutorials and feedback. Now awaiting exam results!
Michael was very dedicated and helpful. He clearly explained difficult ideas and really helped me to understand the thinkers we were studying. He was also encouraging and patient.
I was having problems with structuring essays, and also understanding what the essay questions required. Michael provided guidance about the topic, filled in some of the gaps that the evening classes had missed out, discussed prescribed text books, helped with essay structure, style, grammar and editing. My essay marks improved substantially as did my understanding and confidence in discussing the various topics. Michael has always been punctual, helpful, confident and clear.
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|