I'm looking to help tutor either high school or undergraduate university students in any subjects that I may have studied, the main ones including maths, physics, mechanics, fluid dynamics, solid mechanics and thermodynamics. If the subject you are looking for isn't listed here, please feel free to ask and I will let you know if I would be a suitable tutor!
I mostly find a walk through of the solution then practising examples is the best way to help people understand, especially when it comes to preparing for exams. I like to be quite visual with most subjects and often use diagrams to illustrate concepts.
I'm currently studying an MSc in Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace at the University of Strathclyde having received a 1st class degree in Mechanical Engineering from Dundee University. My tutoring experience is with teaching the bagpipes at school level for 4 years and my classmates in my undergraduate degree often came to me for help over the four years.
The cost for travel is included for times which I don't have my car, which is before 7.15pm most weekdays.
I am a highly motivated and passionate individual, currently undertaking an MSc Postgraduate course in Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace at the University of Strathclyde. I possess strong technical capabilities with a keen interest in fluid mechanics, CFD and computer aided design. After university I plan on starting a career in the aerospace industry with the long-term goal of becoming a chartered engineer.
• Critical thinking: accomplished problem solver with the ability to look at what is wrong, why, and how it can be resolved. This was learned from facing many tasks of varying complexity and subject matter at university my time at Tokheim, part of Dover Fueling Solutions
• Communication: excellent understanding of how to effectively communicate with colleagues and clients, developed through running my own bagpiping business and work carried out for Tokheim
• 3D Modelling (Solidworks and Creo)
• CFD/FEA (ANSYS Fluent/APDL)
• Microsoft Office Programs
• Continuous Improvement
• Root Cause Analysis
• Design Tools
• DFA, DFM and DFS
• Design using Various Materials
Sept 2018 – Present: University of Strathclyde, MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace
• Hope to gain specialised knowledge and technical abilities which will assist me in starting a career in the aerospace industry
• Looking to build upon the general engineering and soft skills developed through BEng degree and previous work experience
Modules Studied: Aerodynamic Performance and Propulsion Systems, Sustainable Product Design and Manufacturing, Risk Management, Design Management, Spaceflight Mechanics and Systems, Polymer Composites, Engineering Plasticity, Advanced Topics in Fluid Systems Engineering, Control Systems Design, Gas and Steam Turbines
Sept 2014 – Jun 2018: University of Dundee, BEng (1st class Hons.) Mechanical Engineering
• Honours project and thesis involved 3D printing part of the ribcage from patient specific scans and testing under ultrasound so as to investigate the effects caused by the ribs on high intensity focused ultrasound treatment of liver cancer
• Completed a group project tasked with re-designing and optimising a cell module containment system for MEPCS Battery Systems as part of the university’s Problem Solving Industrial Visit (PSIV) scheme
• Completed an in depth CFD analysis of the effect of turbulence models on the cooling of electronic components as part of the CAE module
4th Year Modules: Engineering Honours Project A, Control and Dynamical Systems 2 A, Computer Aided Engineering A, Mechanical Fluid Mechanics A, Robotics and Mechatronics B, Solid Mechanics and Materials C
Aug 2000 – Jun 2014: George Watson’s College
Highers: Maths A, Technology A, Graphic Communication A, Physics B, English B, Product Design C
Standard Grades: 2
Intermediate 2’s: 6
Jun 2017 – Aug 2017: Design Engineer Intern at Tokheim/Dover Fuelling Solutions
• Worked on Tokheim life cycle products, including Q1, 2, 3, 4, 5, LPG and AdBlue models
• Operated in a manufacturing environment using continuous improvement tools such as “see-it fix-its” to keep safety to a high standard
• Used various root cause analysis and continuous improvement tools including 5-whys, Ishikawas and Kaizans
• Implemented these tools to investigate and carry out several design change requests using a full life cycle design change process, improving design for assembly, manufacture and service
• Developed and tested a retrofit kit to convert the Q410s hose management system to be sold at customer request, producing an accompanying technical letter
• Developed a white paper and hand calculation process for selecting bungee cords to reduce costs and develop a company standard
• Worked as part of a project to update and improve electrical schematic drawings using Microsoft Visio to reduce failure rate at test
Apr 2013 – Feb 2016: Part-time Apprentice Mechanic at W.H Hunter (Motors) LTD
• Gained a basic understanding of automotive mechanics through working on Legends Race Cars
• Operated several different hand and power tools safely and effectively
• Prepared, maintained and repaired bodywork
• Disassembled, cleaned, repaired and reassembled the Yamaha motorbike engines used in the cars
• Serviced, prepared, fuelled and safety checked the cars for customer use on a race track
• Frequently communicated with customers in order to ensure they were always aware of what was being changed or worked on
Perfect! Great tutor!
Good teacher, will help you understand it together rather than just teaching it at you Helpful and friendly give him a try :)
Throughout my Mechanical Engineering degree Scott provided consistent guidance and help whenever I asked. Scott's skills lied with his serial expertise in each module and was able to explain problems in a way that I could understand. I always felt reassured when he helped me so I could not recommend him enough!
I've known Scott for over 3 years now and I cant recommend him highly enough! He is not only knowledgeable in his field, but also patient and will want the best for his tuttees. As a tutor Scott is reliable and inspiring and as a person he is funny, friendly and approachable. If you need some help, Scott is the right guy to teach you and ignite your passion about Engeneering!
engineering lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest mechanical engineering lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, technology lessons for all!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£12|
|5 hours||Not available||£70||£60|
|10 hours||Not available||£130||£120|