I can teach Classical and Jazz Grades through both the ABRSM and Trinity College London Syllabus. I can also teach theory skills and Jazz Improvisation concepts, depending on the preference of the pupil. I aim to create a comfortable, relaxed and fun atmosphere for my students to guide them towards reaching their full musical potential.
I am a woodwind specialist teacher who has taught a variety of students of varying ages and abilities for over 4 years. I have been playing Saxophone and Clarinet for over 10 years and have accumulated extensive performing experience, playing in Big Bands, Small bands, Chamber groups and duo settings.
An enthusiastic and motivated multi-instrumentalist and composer heavily invested in teaching the next generation of musicians.
BMus – First Class Hons (Jazz), Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
2016 – 2020
• Alto Saxophone
The Priory School, Hitchin 2009 – 2016
• A Levels: English Literature A, History B, Music A.
• AS Levels: English Literature A, History A, Media Studies B, Music B.
• GCSEs: 4 A*, 6 A, 1 B.
• Head Boy 2015 – 2016.
ABRSM Grade 8 Distinction - Alto Saxophone 2015
ABRSM Grade 6 Distinction - Clarinet 2014
Musicate Teaching Programme
2019 – 2020
• Participated in Cheltenham Festival’s outreach programme Musicate.
• Visited John Moore Primary School (Tewksbury, Gloustershire) across the year, teaching a full day of music lessons.
• Coordinated planning lessons with two teachers from the school.
• Trained in lesson planning and delivery from attending CPD days.
• Taught music lessons to two classes during each visit – Year 1 and Year 4.
• Co-wrote a play to perform for 1000 school children at the 2020 Cheltenham Jazz Festival (postponed due to the Coronavirus pandemic).
• Created a series of music education videos for the Cheltenham Musicate website as an online resource for primary school children.
• Fully DBS checked.
• Planned and led a workshop for the community Jazz band Notebenders in Ladywood, Birmingham, conducting and teaching an original arrangement of the piece ‘Work Song’ by Cannonball Adderley. The ensemble consisted of a wide range of instruments and participants age 15 to 60.
Clarinet Ensemble and Summer Workshop, Assistant 2015-2016
• Paid position assisting in the running of a Clarinet Ensemble class, advising on how to improve articulation, embouchure, and intonation.
• Participated in the Hitchin Music Project Summer Course, assisting in teaching younger students about grooves within music and phrasing.
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
Achievements and Notable Performances
• Selected by Head of Department to represent Royal Birmingham Conservatoire in performances at Siena Jazz (August 2018) after obtaining the highest grades for performance in the year.
• Represented Royal Birmingham Conservatoire to promote the BMus Jazz course at the Thailand International Jazz Conference in January 2019. This included co-running a masterclass for conference participants.
• Composed a 45-minute suite of Big Band music during final year at Conservatoire based on people and places from a small coastal village in County Kerry, Ireland, receiving a mark of 80% for the quality of composition written (High First).
• Performed original music with students from Conservatoire de Paris at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival (May 2019).
• Hosted two nights of the Jazz Jam Session at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
• Experience of informal teaching to students at Conservatoire, focusing on sound production, technique and time feel in a Jazz music context.
• Selected by John O’Gallagher to play the role of Jackie McClean in ‘The Connection’ performing alongside actors from RBC Drama school (2019).
• Fluent in Alto, Tenor and Soprano Saxophone.
• Fluent in Clarinet, Flute and Piano.
• Attended lessons on beginner Oboe and Bassoon pedagogy classes.
• Currently Lead Alto for Midlands Youth Jazz Orchestra, led by professional trumpet player and educator John Ruddick Snr. MBE.
Expert Tuition Received
• Masterclasses from world-class musicians including Miguel Zenon in Siena (2018), Dick Oatts (2019), Tim Berne (2018) and Soweto Kinch (2019).
• Ensemble performance tuition from bassist Scott Colley, trumpeter Alex Sipiagin, pianist John Escreet, and drummer Ari Hoenig in Thailand (January 2019).
• Regular 1-1 tuition from saxophone tutors Mike Williams and acclaimed American Saxophonist and Composer John O’Gallagher at Birmingham Conservatoire ([2016-2020).
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest flute lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, saxophone lessons for all!
Taking clarinet lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£25|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£125|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£250|