I Have worked in professional sports for the last 5 years (rugby League/boxing) and have had great success on both a national and international stage. I blend theoretical science into an applied setting allowing the student to gain a comprehensive understanding of how nutrition can aid good health and improve sporting performance.
Currently work in FE/HE education and have had a great influence on a great number of students progressing into higher education, or successfully completing a BSc. Furthermore provide online lectures and guest lecture at educational/sporting organisations around applied science in professional sport.
Depending on level of knowledge for example Level 5,6,7 additional charges will apply.
2016-2017 GURU PERFORMANCE, UK, (PART TIME)
• ISSN_Diploma Applied Sport & Exercise Nutrition
2010-2012 NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY, UK, (PART TIME)
• MSc Nutritional Science (Commendation)
2009-2010 NEWCASTLE COLLEGE, NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, UK, (FULL TIME)
• BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching Science (2,1 Upper)
2007-2009 NEWCASTLE COLLEGE, NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, UK, (FULL TIME)
• Foundation Degree Sports Coaching for Participation
2006-2007 NEWCASTLE COLLEGE, NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, UK, (FULL TIME)
• BTEC National Award Sport and Exercise Science (Merit, Pass, Pass)
1998-2003 LORD LAWSON OF BEAMISH, GATESHEAD, UK, (FULL TIME)
• GNVQ (INT) Art and Design (Pass), Manufacturing (Pass), Leisure and Tourism (Pass), Information Technology (Pass)
• GCSE English (C), Dual Award Science (D,C), Art and Design (C), Mathematics (D)
• UKAD Advisor Mar 2017
• First Aid at work Aug 2012
• LEVEL 1 Food Safety and Hygiene June2010
• NVQ Level 2 in Teaching Exercise and Fitness (Gym based exercise) May 2007
• Sport England Fundamentals of Movement July 2006
• NVQ Level 2 in Performing Manufacturing Operations May 2004
• NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations May 2004
01/17-Present NEWCASTLE COLLEGE, (NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, UK) PROGRESSION COACH.
• To progress students through their course through effective education
• Install industry requirements for students to enable greater employability prospects.
• To ensure students meet or exceed expected grades.
• Prepare/Educate students on academic writing and preparation/execution of academic written papers.
• Advise students on the best career or HE options. Ensure life skills, employability skills are taught/installed.
• Ensure adequate attendance.
11/14-Present FIGHTING CHANCE PROMOTIONS LTD, (GATESHEAD, UK) PERFORMANCE NUTRITIONIST/ADVISOR
• Continuously analyse nutritional intake of all boxers within the camp
• Identify key areas that need attention (macro-micro) under or over consumption. Timing. Lifestyle.
• Implement scientific strategies to maximise performance.
• Provide up to date education to both coaches and boxers
• Participate in CPD
• Design and implement nutrition plans, recommendations tailored to each boxer.
• Work alongside other sports scientists to enable the best course of action for each boxer to maximise performance
• Participate in ongoing self-research
09/12-11/14 GATESHEAD THUNDER RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB (GATESHEAD, UK) PERFORMANCE NUTRITIONIST
• Providing Nutritional Education and services to playing squad and staff
• Analysing eating habits and current nutrition intake to implement areas of improvement
• Working with players individually to meet goals set out by management
• Provide educational workshops to local community on Health and Wellbeing
• Conducting research and keeping up to date with current and new nutritional practice
• Design and implement menus with regards to pre/post training/game as well as general well-being.
• Attend seminars and workshops to aid in CPD
03/04-12/16 GATESHEAD INTERNATIONAL STADIUM,
GATESHEAD COUNCIL, (GATESHEAD, UK) DUTY MANAGER
• To supervise the operation of the leisure facility ensuring a quality experience for all customers within a culture of continuous improvement.
• To be responsible for all staff on duty at a particular leisure facility and ensure, through the effective supervision, that all work undertaken is performed in accordance within the council’s Health and Safety system.
• To organise effective working arrangement for front line staff. Participate in the Achievement and Development process contributing to the on-going development of staff.
• To ensure effective communications with, customers, front line staff and with facility management.
• To implement all operational procedures and systems. Ensure that any service deficiencies are investigated, resolved and recorded within the service improvement system.
• To ensure that all financial systems and procedures are implemented.
• To ensure that all buildings, plant and equipment are secure, maintained and safe for use at all times.
• To ensure an excellent experience for customers, resolve any customer concerns and record within the service improvement system.
• Contribute to the effective programming of activities within the facility.
• To ensure the effective and safe operation of the swimming pool water circulation system (Pools only).
• To contribute to the effective management of events.
• Any other duties within the purview of the grade.
From a very young age I have been involved in sport, in particular football. I began my short career at grassroots level and went on to represent the district of Gateshead, and County Durham at school boy level where we won the Northern County Championship and reached the semi-finals of the National County Championship. I had trials for England at this level, and went on to play for Newcastle United Football Club and Darlington Football Club respectively. After spells at each of these clubs I signed for Northern League outfit Chester-Le-Street F.C in which we famously reached round 4 of the F.A Youth cup.
As a passionate sportsperson, I was intensely interested in how the body works during exercise, and developed a keen interest in human nutrition that led me into studying Nutritional Science at Masters Level. My greatest aspiration is to further develop this passion and interest within the remit of my career. Since the completion of my education I have worked with a great variation of people to promote, maintain and enjoy a healthy lifestyle as well as provide health and well-being advice to a number of sports clubs and businesses alike. I now work in professional sports (boxing) and have developed the ability to transfer sound science into practice to ensure results are achieved. In order to keep up to date with application of science and current research I am completing the ISSN_Diploma.
Languages: Fluent in English, with basic French knowledge.
IT Skills: Adequate user of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook, the Internet, e-mail, SPSS and other statistical software.
Full, UK driving licence held. No criminal or motoring convictions.
Available on request
nutrition lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest weightloss lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, learning to eat well lessons for all!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£40||£18|
|5 hours||Not available||£160||£90|