My lessons take a fun and interactive approach. I don't want to just talk at you for an hour, I would much rather get you involved and excited about Psychology. Any ideas are good ideas as long as they are well explained, and it's great to see students contributing their own original thoughts and joining in with discussions.
My teaching methodology revolves around a tutorial system, similar to at Oxford or Cambridge. I will set students reading which I expect to be completed before the lesson. The lesson itself will be highly interactive, as while I am teaching the topic I will be probing the student as to find out their ideas and opinions, as well as discussing what they thought of the set literature. I find this helps students develop a better, more critical understanding of Psychology as a subject, which in turn helps them achieve top grades more easily. If students wish to do so, homework will be set which I will mark and return to them.
I am a Psychology and Oxbridge admissions tutor with two years experience.
I currently offer home-schooling for the AQA A Level Psychology syllabus, as well as tutoring on top of teaching students are being offered through their school. I am also familiar with the International Baccalaureate HL and SL Psychology course, and can also offer English Language and Literature tutoring, both for the AQA A Level Syllabus and the IB.
For Oxbridge applications, I have extensive experience preparing students for the TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment) exam, and my students have had significant success in this exam. I also offer personal statement guidance, as well as interview preparation, in order to ensure each student's Oxbridge application is as competitive as possible. This resulted in multiple of my students receiving Oxford offers last year.
Wadham College, University of Oxford – BA (Hons) Experimental Psychology, 2.1 (2017-2020)
• Scored 73 in my dissertation focused on socioeconomic inequalities in mental health.
• Final year modules in Computational Neuroscience and How to Build a Brain (AI Module).
The Abbey School, Reading (2002-2015)
• International Baccalaureate: 41 Points
Higher Level Psychology – 7 Points
Higher Level Art – 7 Points
Higher Level English – 7 Points
Standard Level Biology – 6 Points
Standard Level Maths Studies – 6 Points
Standard Level Italian – 6 Points
Tutor – Blue Education (2019-2020)
• Working with students in order to prepare them for Oxbridge Psychology applications with a mix of tutorial style lessons and interview preparation.
• Marking and providing feedback on students’ essays and personal statements in order to prepare them for submission.
• Taught a Psychology Summer School for two weeks during August, consisting of tutorial style preparatory lessons introducing 15-16 year old students to Psychology.
Tutor – VIPTutors (2020)
• Offer Psychology tutoring and Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) tutoring.
• Complete editing and feedback on personal statements, essays and CV’s.
Team Leader – The Student Consultancy, Oxford University (2019-2020)
• Led a team of 3 students to support the charity Healthy Abingdon in building a case to increase accessibility in Abingdon town centre by dropping two kerbs.
• Selected to join a new project team consisting of the five highest performing students to work on a new project helping a start-up tech company develop their brand.
Peer Mentor – IntoUniversity (2017-2020)
• Volunteer as a peer mentor with students from disadvantaged areas of Oxford, teaching them social skills and tutoring them academically to help prepare for their future.
Student Ambassador – Wadham College (2017-2020)
• Secured funding from alumni during a fundraising telethon to be invested in college development; was successful in over 70% of my calls.
• Facilitated the interview period as a student helper by looking after applicants, directing them, advising them on interview technique and settling nerves.
• Gave tours of college to prospective applicants during college Open Days, including informing them on the application process.
psychology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£30|