I am happy to teach German from beginners to GCSE Level. I have taught in three Secondary schools and in over 15 Primary schools, as well as tutoring at KS2, 3, 4 and 5 - covering KS3, GCSE and A Level, as well as tutoring adults. I tailor my lessons to the individual needs and situation of each client. Lessons will typically cover some or all of the four skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing - but will also involve the understanding of grammar as this provides the 'hooks' on which to hang words. I will look at phonics to aid pronunciation and various techniques to aid memorisation. I like to teach using song, as music helps to commit learning to the long term memory, as well as being fun!
I look forward to hearing from you.
I am a qualified, fun, friendly, flexible and experienced Languages teacher of German, French and Spanish. I have taught German from beginners level to GCSE in schools and successfully tutored German from KS2 through to A Level. My student have responded well, been positive and gained good results, many gaining an A*. I have also taught German to adults for holiday and leisure reasons, or just for fun! I am enthusiastic and have a passion for my subject. I am CRB Checked and subscribe to the online CRB service, which is updated annually.
KS2 German - £20.00 an hour
KS3 + GCSE - £30.00 an hour
If a client has to cancel a lesson please give at least 48 hours notice, or the lesson will be charged.
NAME Kate Hyland-Collier
PRESENT EMPLOYER Self employed
POSITION HELD Teacher, Tutor and consultant of Flexible Language Learning.
SECONDARY EDUCATION Wath upon Dearne Comprehensive School
HIGHER EDUCATION University of East Anglia, Norwich
French and German Language and Literature.
University of Cambridge, Jesus College, Cambridge
QUALIFICATIONS Wath upon Dearne Comprehensive School
‘O’ Levels (JMB)
English Language C
English Literature A
Biology Level 2
‘A’ Levels (JMB)
English Literature D
General Studies E
University of East Anglia
Bachelor of Arts Honours Degree
Class 2 (1) in French with German Subsidiary
University of Cambridge
Post Graduate Certificate in Education
Full Driving Licence
• Farm vacation work.
• Worked as an Assistante in a Lycee Polyvalente in Vire, Normandy.
• ‘Hesse’ student at the Aldeburgh Festival.
• P.G.C.E. teaching practice at Comberton Village School, Cambridge.
• Thorpe Saint Andrew School, Norwich, Norfolk.
• Head of French at Holmfirth High School, Huddersfield.
• Head of Modern Foreign Languages department at Whitcliffe Mount School, Cleckheaton.
• Currently: Self-employed: teaching primary French, German and Spanish to Primary / Infant Schools; private tuition at KS2 / 3/ 4 / 5 and adults.
Freelance consultancy work in MFL.
THORPE SAINT ANDREW SCHOOL:
Form Tutor. Taught French to years 7 to 13 and German to years 7-9 &12
In charge of G.A.M.L. course, and organised year 8 - 10 study visits to St.Valéry. Ran a language drama / video workshop for schools year 10 Arts festival. Helped with B.T. language newspaper workshop for years 9 and 10 Gifted and Talented children.
Acting Second in Department. Responsible for mock examinations, assistants’ timetables, French study visit, writing some policies / schemes of work. Organised G.A.M.L. certificated course in KS4. Department representative on various committees. Worked with Head of Department to train the staff on school appraisal system.
HOLMFIRTH HIGH SCHOOL: Head of French.
* Responsible for French Department and leading the French Department team.
* Represented the Department at Head of Department meetings and other whole school committees.
* Set up centralised system for storing all resources.
* Created the Department’s Policy Document, and additional policies on assessment, differentiation and I.T. Devised schemes of work and assessments for each year.
* Carried out staff appraisals.
* Implemented new course books in years 9 - 11 and the new NEAB GCSE Full and Short Courses in year 10.
* Set up a programme of I.C.T. tasks at KS3.
* Worked with Head of German in managing the Language Departments’ resources and budget.
* Re-established and organised the French Exchange to Besançon each year.
WHITCLIFFE MOUNT SCHOOL: Head of Modern Foreign Languages Department.
* Writing and reviewing Departmental documentation: development plan, INSET bid, Schemes of work, policies and ensuring they are integrated into the whole school development plan, and implemented by colleagues.
* Oversee the quality of Teaching and Learning in the Department.
* Manage Department budget and purchasing resources.
* Ensure KS3 /4 classes use ICT regularly.
* Create positive, cohesive ethos in the Department.
* Performance management team leader for Department colleagues involving Department lesson observation; manage Department INSET.
* Liaise with Middle school colleagues / Headteachers regarding MFL options and setting / pupil transfer and progression.
* Manage Department discipline and behaviour. School duty team leader.
* Staff and ‘room’ MFL timetable. Assist with whole school timetable.
* Chair MFL department meetings. A member of Senior Management Group meetings- contribute in discussions on whole school issues.
* Passed Threshold Application - my portfolio was particularly commended by the assessor.
* Passed Upper Pay Scale Three.
* Temporary Data Performance Role - organising whole school mentoring, data analysis, produce whole school external examinations booklet, and Governing Body report, present exam results to the whole staff.
* Member of various working parties: teaching and learning group, boys underachievement - helped produce a booklet for all staff.
* Involved with Kirklees 14-19 Transition Project - secured a grant for the school.
* Organised / assisted with various school visits: to Appletreewick, Paris, the Rhein area in Germany.
SELF-EMPLOYMENT - September 2006 to present time
* Teach French at Pre-School age, Foundation / KS1 and 2 at different Primary and Infant schools.
* Taught KS2 German at Primary schools
* Deliver private tuition in French and German at KS2 / 3 / 4 / 5 and adults. Tutored pupils for GCSE French / German and Spanish and also for A Level French and German.
* Consultancy in MFL teaching methods and classroom management for schools in West Yorkshire.
* Taught French / German / Spanish and other subjects at KS3 /4 in various schools in Rotherham, Kirklees and Sheffield on Supply.
ACHIEVEMENTS Girl Guides Association
Queen’s Guide Award.
Young Leaders Certificate.
Honours Personal Survival swimming.
University of East Anglia badminton and ballroom dancing team.
Grade 5 Association Board of Music flute examination
Grade 8 Association Board of Music theory examination, with distinction.
INTERESTS Singing, opera and classical music. Member of Huddersfield Choral Society.
Travel, theatre, the Arts, swimming, tennis and photography.
german lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - german lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - german lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - german lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£30|