I love teaching!
I enjoy making learning fun and easy to understand. I've been teaching for over 12 years at every level (middle school, high school and college level). I use a variety of strategies to meet the needs of my students.
I have been in the teaching field for over 12 years. My class sizes have ranged from 2 - 50 in a wide range of settings (college, public school and private school).
I am flexible, patient, and goal-oriented. My students have had great success in my classes, whether passing their TOEFL exams or moving up to a higher level in English or Spanish.
Master of Education, University of San Diego, 2008
Major Field: TESOL/TEFL, Language, Literacy & Culture
California Teaching Credential, San Diego State University, 2005
Credential: Single Subject in Spanish
Bachelor of Arts Degree, San Diego State University, 2004
Major Field: Spanish, Minor: English
International Study Abroad Program, San Diego State University, Summer 2002
Major Field: Spanish (Cuernavaca, Mexico)
Associate of Arts in Spanish, Cuyamaca College, 2002
Major Field: Spanish
August 2016 – Present
Full-Time Spanish Teacher
Spring Valley Academy, Spring Valley, CA
• Manage the daily classroom environment including teaching Spanish 1 classes, recording keeping, grading, creating short-term and long-term lesson plans
• Actively participate in a Personal Learning Community - sharing ideas on teaching strategies, integrating technology and best practices.
• Represent Spanish Department for our on-site Guiding Coalition Team
July 2013 – June 2016
Chair, Spanish Department (Middle and High School)
Full-time Middle/High School Teacher
Horizon Prep, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
• Manage daily classroom environment, including the teaching of multi-level Spanish Classes (Spanish 1, Spanish 2, Spanish 3).
• Curriculum adoption and program development for middle and high school programs
• Foreign Language Chair of ACSI Accreditation Process (Spanish/Latin)
• Curriculum Trak Development for Spanish 1,2,3
• Charged with writing the course submissions for Spanish 1 & 2 CSU “a-g” Course Requirements which were approved and added to Horizon Prep’s a-g 2014-2015 course list
• Film Club Advisor, High School
• Counselor, Catalina Island. A week-long educational trip for 7th grade
• Counselor, Pine Valley. A three day education and spiritual retreat for the high school
• Active participant and devotional leader in weekly high school chapel services
• Weekly devotional leader for 7th grade girls
August 2011 – Present
Adjunct Faculty, Department of Education
San Diego Christian College
Adjunct Faculty responsibilities include teaching the following courses:
• ED508 Secondary Teaching Methods (2012-Present)
• Spanish 1 (Fall/Spring 2012-2013)
• ED300 (Fall/Spring 2015-2016)
• ED505 (Fall 2017)
• Adaptation of the Vistas Spanish Curriculum for Spanish 1
Adjunct Faculty responsibilities in addition to teaching
• Monthly departmental meetings
• Adjunct orientation and technology training
• Host teacher for ESL Fieldwork Component
Adjunct Faculty Volunteer Participation:
• I have participated in the panel interview process of potential candidates for the teacher credential program every year since teaching at SDCC
• I have participated in end of the year mock interviews for candidates
• I have attended the TCP end of the year celebrations
• I will be attending a Professional Growth seminar with my department in March 2015
April – July 2013
EF International Language Center, San Diego
Instructor responsibilities included teaching multilevel ESL classes to international college age students. In addition to these classes I also administered test preparation for the TOEFL. Additional responsibilities included educational fieldtrips throughout San Diego county.
July 2011 & July/August 2012 (Summers)
University of San Diego (English Language Academy)
ESL Instructor responsibilities included teaching in Summer Intensive Language Program for international students in Academic Writing in preparation for the TOEFL.
In addition, I was an ESL instructor for the Summer Youth Program for international students, ages 13-19.
August 2005-June 2012
Full-time Spanish and ESL Teacher
Parkway Middle School, La Mesa, CA
• Managed the daily classroom environment including teaching Spanish 1 classes and multi-level ESL classes. I maintained accurate attendance and performance levels of students, offered test preparation and administered English Learner Development tests.
• Provided individual advising to ESL students on progress and goals, made referrals to academic counselors, and developed customized academic assistance plans.
• Revitalized the English Learner Advisory Committee for families of international students for school site and also served on District English Learner Advisory Committee.
• Actively participated in a Personal Learning Community - sharing ideas on teaching strategies, integrating technology and best practices. Created uniform Spanish language tests across all schools.
• Developed the school wide Character Education program to teach positive character development skills for students.
• Participated in a week long educational trip taking students to see historical sites in Washington D.C., NY and PA, 2008 and 2012.
July 2011 – July 2012
TOEFL ETS Speaking Rater (Part-time)
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE, Princeton, NJ
▪ Perform online assessments of recorded speech of high school and college level students for the English Language Speaking Proficiency exam on topic development, fluency and language use.
July 2012 (Summer)
Volunteer Adult Education ESL Instructor
Journey Community Church, La Mesa, CA
▪ Instructor for bi-monthly evening course for ESL Adult Learners in summer program.
August 2007 – May 2008
PRACTICUM –ESL INSTRUCTOR
UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO, San Diego, CA
Graduate Practicum in TESOL - SCHOOL OF LEADERSHIP & EDUCATION SCIENCES,
▪ Facilitated college level and adult instruction at MiraCosta Community College, Grossmont Adult Education Sites, and The English Language Academy at the University of San Diego.
January 2005 – June 2006
Student Teacher, Foreign Language - Spanish & ESL Tutor
LA MESA MIDDLE SCHOOL, La Mesa, CA
August 2004 – December 2004
Student Teacher, Foreign Language - Spanish
GRANITE HILLS HIGH SCHOOL, El Cajon, CA
August 2003 – December 2003
International Student Peer Advisor
SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY, San Diego, CA
International Student Center Education
▪ Advised University Students on Study Abroad Programs worldwide.
▪ Processed applications to ensure accuracy and forwarded to requested school.
▪ Assisted in presentations to university level classes to educate students on the program.
January 2001 – May 2002
Teacher Assistant - Spanish
CUYAMACA COLLEGE, El Cajon, CA
▪ Assisted in grading papers, filing papers, and tutoring students in all levels of Spanish classes.
Bilingual – Fluent in Spanish
Association of International Educators (NAFSA)
CERTIFICATES / TRAININGS
ACSI Bible CEU credit: Beth Moore Jesus One and Only, Part 1 2015
ASCI Curriculum Mapping Essentials- Professional CEU credit 2014
Project G.L.A.D. (Guided Language Acquisition Design) Certified, 2011
Dr. Stephen Krashen, Effective Second Language Acquisition Workshop, 2010
Honorary Service Award, Parkway Middle School PTSA, 2010
Award of Distinction, USD Leadership & Education Sciences, 2008
President of the Honors Society, Phi Beta Kappa. 2001 -2002
January 2016 – Guatemala Missions Trip. I volunteered as a translator for a Team of Nurses and Doctors at various clinics in Antigua, Guatemala.
July 2012-2014 – My husband and I hosted/lead a home group - Journey Community Church
2013 - Journey Community Church front office volunteer
July 2012 (Summer) -Volunteer Adult Education ESL Instructor - Journey Community Church
May 2009- July 2011 – SPRITES of East County. “SPRITES is a philanthropic organization of mothers and daughters dedicated to volunteering their time and resources to San Diego County charities.” My daughter and I volunteered at Father Joe’s Soup Kitchen, Horsemanship for the Handicapped, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and we participated in multiple fundraisers to assist local charities.
2008 – AWANA Assistant Leader (middle school girls) – Journey Community Church
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking vocabulary - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£19|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£95|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£190|