I am able to provide tutoring within the Sciences at a high school or BSc level. Although I'm new to the private tutoring sector, I have training and experience in mentoring and coaching. My goal would be to identify the areas in which a student is having difficulties, and break down those concepts into a simpler form or trying to better illustrate the concept to make it easier to understand. I would want a student to be able to communicate these concepts in other contexts, demonstrating that they have learned and applied rather than simply memorising.
I am a PhD Research Student who is close to graduating. My field of research is Environmental Science, specialising in hydrology. I'm new to private tutoring but I have experience in mentoring and helping BSc and MSc students as a Graduate Teaching Assistant at the University of Sheffield. I have also mentored a recent overseas BSc student who did a one month placement on my project, helping her to learn the concepts that I have been studying, and helping her to decide upon her dissertation project.
Please provide at least 24 hours notice if a cancellation or re-scheduling of a lesson is required.
29 year-old PhD student at the University of Sheffield, part of the STREAM programme. Graduate of Lancaster University, with a BSc in Natural Sciences and MSc in Sustainable Water Management. Project management, analytical skills, written communication and oral presentation skills have been developed extensively through three years working on a PhD project investigating the influence of reservoir outflows upon macroinvertebrate ecology. Teaching, supervision and mentoring skills have also been greatly developed due to acting as a demonstrator for a number of field and lab sessions, and managing an overseas intern for one month. High-end personal development training was provided by STREAM throughout the PhD project, including meeting with Mission Performance consultants for self-assessment and team management skills. Have been pushed to continually develop, most recently through presenting my research at the International Symposium on Ecohydraulics 2018 in Tokyo.
STREAM PhD Student, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Based at the University of Sheffield, Sponsored by United Utilities
October 2015 - Present
• Develop a framework to investigate the influence of reservoir release flows upon downstream ecosystems.
• Perform a desk-based multi-site analysis of key flow characteristics and their influence on macroinvertebrate populations.
• Investigate a case study site using predictive modelling to assess the impact of flow regime upon habitat quality.
• Design an environmental flow regime and provide recommendations to United Utilities on how they might optimally meet environmental legislation, based upon desk-based analysis and model findings.
• Present all work and findings within a Thesis in order to add to the broader academic knowledge in this field, and recommend more efficient, environmentally-friendly flow release practices to the industry.
CQUIN Data Collection and Input
Royal Lancaster Infirmary, NHS
March 2013 - March 2014
• Working with the Matron for Dementia and Head of IT, maintaining records of inpatients age 75+, tracking their CQUIN Dementia Screening details.
• Identify locations of patients admitted the previous day, go from ward to ward collecting Screening data from clinical staff.
• Input all data onto shared Trust Spreadsheet, highlighting inpatients who have screened positive.
• Track positive patients to ensure that they receive further investigation from clinical staff.
• Highly independent work pattern; direct contact with Dementia Matron.
• Developed own system to maximise efficiency, left to manage own workload and approach to data collection.
• Part-time Clerk, George Turle House (NHS) and part-time voluntary work (October 2014 - July 2015)
• Medical Records Clerk (NHS), Ophthalmology (October 2012 - March 2013)
• Medical Lab Assistant (NHS) (March 2012 - October 2012)
• Reception/Clerk (NHS), Main Outpatients Department (November 2011 - March 2012)
University of Sheffield
PhD, STREAM Programme, Ecohydraulics, ongoing until March 2019
October 2013 - September 2014
MSc, Sustainable Water Management, Pass with Merit (Equivalent of 2:1)
October 2008 - July 2011
BSc, Natural Sciences, 2:1
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic College, 2006 - 2008
A-Levels in; Chemistry, Physics, ICT.
• Extensive experience in project management in a role of responsibility, having designed the framework by which my project has operated over the last 3 years, managing time, resources and breaking down workload.
• Extensive experience in academic research and scientific writing both through Thesis and written reports.
• Significant experience in public speaking and oral presentation through regular progress updates with Industrial sponsor and presenting research to others.
• Significant experience working closely with the water industry, and also having opportunities to work alongside the consultancy company Cascade, collaboration with the University of Trento, Italy, and undergoing training both in the Delft, Netherlands and Stuttgart, Germany.
• Proficient in the following software: R, SRH-2D and SMS, CASiMiR and all MS Office programs.
• Teaching and mentoring experience through lab and field demonstrating, and supervision of a project intern.
• Highly motivated and capable of working well independently in roles of responsibility.
• Excellent project and time management skills, further developed by experience on the PhD project.
• Excellent writing skills with experience in clearly and effectively communicating complex ideas.
• Able to keep calm in high-pressure situations such as responding to agitated patients in a hospital environment.
• Analytical mindset able to approach challenges methodically and thoughtfully.
• Quick to learn and adapt in new environments.
• Excellent self-awareness and ability to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of others through personal development training within PhD and during my time in Canterbury, using tools such as Myers Briggs and Strengths Finder 2.0 alongside advice from Mission Performance consultants.
environmental studies lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£20||Not available||£20|