The key to my approach is basing my teaching techniques on the individual goals of my students. When it comes to learning the spoken basics of a language, my experiences abroad have taught me that the most efficient way to learn a language is simple, practice. Nothing comes close to having regular conversations when it comes to learning how to speak a language, and basing the learning on what the student needs to know leads the student to learn by necessity, which is a much more streamlined approach than learning selected phrases that a textbook thinks you will need to know.
For more advanced learners, it is key to understand the grammar of the target language, something which must be learned logically, not as a series of often-misunderstood rules. I aim to teach my students to speak with their own voice, which is only possible when you truly understand why a language functions the way it does, not simply because you are following rigid grammatical rules.
I am a recent graduate from the University of Leicester, having just completed a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish and Latin American Studies with Education. I have a year's experience of working as a Spanish TA, and have spent almost 18 months honing my language skills in Spanish-speaking countries.
Roshan Jan Koster
A compassionate, dedicated, trilingual individual with a natural ability for languages and a passion for teaching, seeking a graduate role as a Spanish Teaching Assistant.
September 2016 – July 2020
University of Leicester, (BA) Spanish and Latin American Studies with Education (Year Abroad in Mexico: Universidad de las Americas Puebla) 2:1 grade achieved with Distinction in spoken Spanish.
September 2008 – July 2015 Dame Alice Owen’s School, Potters Bar A Levels: Spanish (B), Business Studies (B), Mathematics (C)
GCSEs: 6As, 4Bs, 2Cs (including English and Mathematics)
January 2019 - June 2019 Prepaglobal- Online translator
· Developed skills in translation whilst working for an online school, working alone to translate from Spanish to English and proof-reading a variety of modules including mathematics, anthropology and biology.
· Demonstrated reliability and organisational skills by consistently completing translations to a deadline, as well as being meticulous when checking through documents.
September 2013 – July 2014 Dame Alice Owen’s School- Teaching Assistant
· Volunteered in a Year 7 Spanish class once a week, gained experience in lesson planning and assisting teachers with lesson delivery as well as helping students with any problems they encountered.
· Discovered a passion and natural ability for conveying knowledge to other people and found being able to help students improve their Spanish incredibly rewarding.
April 2014 – present Black Horse Pub- Senior Bartender and Waiter
· Through working for an independent establishment and developing a close relationship with both customers and the owner over the course of six years, I see myself as an extension of the business, and am passionate about its success.
· Developed communication skills, assertiveness and confidence due to constant customer interaction, recognising the importance of maintaining a professional manner at all times. This skill would translate well into working in a school environment where professionalism is key.
February – July 2016 WHSmith- Customer Service Assistant
· Worked effectively as part of a team to deliver high quality customer service in a stressful environment whilst learning to prioritise tasks efficiently. Gained experience in effective teamwork as well as the ability to delegate responsibilities when required.
· Entrusted with responsibilities such as training up younger colleagues, enhancing my ability to communicate effectively when teaching someone a new skill in a friendly and approachable manner.
Throughout my degree I learned to communicate in Spanish at a professional level, completing presentations and essays in Spanish. After studying in Mexico for a year I became fully fluent and significantly more confident in my abilities across all areas from spoken Spanish to advanced grammar.
From working part-time jobs involving customer interaction to experience as a teaching assistant I have developed my communication style to ensure approachability as well as being eloquent and easy to understand. From training up colleagues to meeting people from all around the world when travelling, I have gained the ability to alter how I communicate based on who I am speaking to in an appropriate manner to reflect the situation.
Throughout university I have greatly improved my time management skills and ability to work independently, especially during final year which was hugely disrupted by the global pandemic. This also demonstrated my adaptability to changing situations, which has also been developed throughout working in fast-pace environments and would be essential when working in a classroom.
- Deeply interested in the psychology of the human mind and human society, especially how young people’s future aspirations are shaped by the influencing powers around them, inspired by observational research projects from my minor in Education Studies.
- Eager to learn as many languages as possible, having achieved a fluent level of Dutch and Spanish, with aims of learning Portuguese as well.
- Keen interest in history, art and foreign culture, especially that of Latin America.
- Passion for music after practising percussion since the age of 11, performing in various groups and completing professional examinations.
References available on request.
spanish lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - spanish lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - spanish lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - spanish lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|