You can do it. Sometimes a subject seems impossible for you. You get discouraged. Other people seem better than you etc. But, I promise you, you can really succeed and I shall be honoured to help you.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
Entrance exams 11+ and 13 +; GCSE/IGCSE English, Maths, French, Business Studies and Religious Studies; English as a Foreign Language; French for adults
I am also an experienced and qualified Life Coach and Counsellor and when parents or students ask me to do so I use these skills and experience to help young people through the stressful and anxious moments they encounter.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
• Dess (equivalent of Doctorate) from Strasbourg University, France • BA in Arabic Studies, Rome, Italy. • 3 Year diploma in Psychosynthesis Education and Counselling Skills, London, UK • Cambridge/RSA Certificate in English Language Teaching to adults, Cambridge, UK • Diploma in Life Coaching, Newcastle College, UK
- How much do you charge?
My usual fee is £40 per hour. In case of hardship I am happy to offer concessions.
- Where do you teach?
At my home in Haslingfield, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire.
- When are you available?
From 8am to 8pm, Mondays to Thursdays during term time and school holidays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
11-18 year olds and adults. 11+ and 13+ Entrance Exams Key Stage 2 to GCSE, or IGCSE, and occasionally A'level. I teach adults English as a second language and French for business or travel.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
11+ and 13+ Entrance; GCSE and occasionally A'Level
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Remember, you can do it. Working together we'll get you to the top.
- What kind of experience do you have?
• I have been tutoring in Cambridge since 1999. Previously, I tutored and mentored students in Tunisia, North Africa, for 15 years; set up Adult Education centres and taught in Sudan for 3 years; taught in a Secondary School in Uganda, East Africa for 2 years and was acting Principal there for 1 year.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
• Newcastle College, UK • Studio School of Languages, Cambridge, UK • Psychosynthesis & Education Trust, London, UK • Pontifical Institute of Rome, Italy. • Universities of Strasbourg, France Ottawa, Canada; Fribourg, Switzerland; East Anglia, UK;
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
Cambridge Network IPTI Coaching Academy, London
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Great people, mostly between ages of 11 and 25, plus one or two older adults. Often they have lost confidence in their ability to learn a particular subject or subjects. After a couple of sessions they have a whole new vision of themselves, move quickly up the academic grades and feel better about themselves in general. Some of their testimonials are available.
Dear Doctor Hillas, Thankyou so much for teaching me Maths. I could not have achieved anything near the A grade I did without your help. I thouroughly enjoyed the lessons which cannot be said for my Maths lessons at school so thankyou for putting up with me.
Thanks very much for all your help again. Sophie would never have passed Maths without your help.
I have no hesitation in writing this reference for Thomas Hillas, who has tutored my son for the past 18 months in preparation for his GCSE's.
We found him reliable, conscientious and, most of all, my son trusted and liked him. He not only helped him with the subjects in which he was being tutored but gave him confidence and self belief. He has matured as a result of Mr Hillas' help.
Thomas Hillas has been tutoring our 2 children, Rhys aged 11 and Lewys aged 9, for over 12 months. During this time our children's overall confidence and mathematical skills have improved. Last year Rhys achieved very good year 6 SA T results.
Thomas is patient in his approach and he makes the subject fun to learn. He has always been willing to provide support for their broader educational needs and has built a good relationship with them both.
Thomas, thank you for the help you gave D. over the last 18 months. He trusted you and liked you. You not only helped him with his GCSEs but gave him confidence and self belief. He has matured as a result of your help. LH
Thomas, thanks for your patience. The boys find your lessons fun and we appreciate the great results you helped them achieve but more especially the support you give them in their overall development. R & C H
Thank you for all the help you gave me with my GCSEs because god knows what my grades would have been if I had not had it! SH
business studies lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£40||£40||Not available|