I love the French language. I first began leaning it at secondary school and got my A’level in it. Then I did most of my higher studies at French speaking universities – Fribourg in Switzerland, Ottawa in Canada, and Strasbourg in France. From there I went on to work in Tunisia for 15 years where after Arabic, French was my second working language.
I enjoy helping others appreciate French and through it some of French culture. And I also get a thrill when they succeed in their exams.
I taught for many years in schools abroad and since 2000 have been tutoring here in the UK in our village of Haslingfield near to Cambridge.
I tutor in French from Primary School Level to GCSE.
Students find me friendly, fun and focused on their success. Very quickly they find themselves improving.
I am also an experienced and qualified Life Coach and have particular experience with young people. When parents or students ask me to do so I can use these skills and experience to help young people through the stressful and anxious moments they meet at school or elsewhere.
My hourly fee is £40.
I am available during term time and school holidays
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays 9am – 8pm
Wednesdays and Fridays 2pm – 8pm
My academic and professional qualifications include
• Dess (equivalent of Doctorate) from Strasbourg University, France
• BA in Arabic and Islamic Studies, Rome, Italy
• 3 Year diploma in Psychosynthesis Education and Counselling Skills, London, UK
• Cambridge/RSA Certificate in English Language Teaching to adults, Cambridge, UK
• Diploma in Life Coaching, Newcastle College, UK
• From 8am to 8pm, Mondays to Thursdays during term time and school holidays.
A final message: You can do it. Sometimes a subject seems impossible for you. You get discouraged. Other people seem better than you etc. But, I promise you, you can really succeed and I shall be honoured to help you.
- What kind of experience do you have?
• I have been tutoring in Cambridge since 1999. Previously, I tutored and mentored students in Tunisia, North Africa, for 15 years; set up Adult Education centres and taught in Sudan for 3 years; taught in a Secondary School in Uganda, East Africa for 2 years and was acting Principal there for 1 year.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
• Newcastle College, UK • Studio School of Languages, Cambridge, UK • Psychosynthesis & Education Trust, London, UK • Pontifical Institute of Rome, Italy. • Universities of Strasbourg, France Ottawa, Canada; Fribourg, Switzerland; East Anglia, UK;
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
Cambridge Network IPTI Coaching Academy, London
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Great people, mostly between ages of 11 and 25, plus one or two older adults. Often they have lost confidence in their ability to learn a particular subject or subjects. After a couple of sessions they have a whole new vision of themselves, move quickly up the academic grades and feel better about themselves in general. Some of their testimonials are available.
Dear Doctor Hillas, Thankyou so much for teaching me Maths. I could not have achieved anything near the A grade I did without your help. I thouroughly enjoyed the lessons which cannot be said for my Maths lessons at school so thankyou for putting up with me.
Thanks very much for all your help again. Sophie would never have passed Maths without your help.
I have no hesitation in writing this reference for Thomas Hillas, who has tutored my son for the past 18 months in preparation for his GCSE's.
We found him reliable, conscientious and, most of all, my son trusted and liked him. He not only helped him with the subjects in which he was being tutored but gave him confidence and self belief. He has matured as a result of Mr Hillas' help.
Thomas Hillas has been tutoring our 2 children, Rhys aged 11 and Lewys aged 9, for over 12 months. During this time our children's overall confidence and mathematical skills have improved. Last year Rhys achieved very good year 6 SA T results.
Thomas is patient in his approach and he makes the subject fun to learn. He has always been willing to provide support for their broader educational needs and has built a good relationship with them both.
Thomas, thank you for the help you gave D. over the last 18 months. He trusted you and liked you. You not only helped him with his GCSEs but gave him confidence and self belief. He has matured as a result of your help. LH
Thomas, thanks for your patience. The boys find your lessons fun and we appreciate the great results you helped them achieve but more especially the support you give them in their overall development. R & C H
Thank you for all the help you gave me with my GCSEs because god knows what my grades would have been if I had not had it! SH
french lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£40||£40||Not available|