Hi there, my name is Dr Michael Grant and I'm a medical doctor who has recently completed the highly competitive NHS Academic Foundation Program in London. Currently I work as a clinical research fellow at St Bart's and The Royal Free hospitals.
Alongside my medical degree I also hold a Bachelors of Science (First class honours) in Molecular Medicine. I have also recently completed a PGCert in Teaching in Higher Education.
I have an interest in tutoring those from GCSE to undergraduate level in biology, biomedical science, physiology, pharmacology, anatomy, biostatistics and medicine. I am passionate about these subjects and have multiple degrees that have required me to understand the theory and practical aspects surrounding them.
I am also happy to help those preparing to apply to medical school or to the NHS foundation program (SJT and AFP interviews), and those currently writing their thesis.
Through my 6 years of university studies and multiple national summer studentships in world-class laboratories around the UK, I have had considerable experience teaching younger students and developing teaching materials that have been endorsed by Russell Group universities.
I currently lead a student-selected module for final year medical students at Bart's and the London and am a Honorary Clinical Lecturer at Bart's Cancer Institute. I have recently completed a PGCert in Learning and Teaching for Higher Education at Queen Mary University of London. This qualification comes with Fellowship status of the Higher Education Academy.
I usually like to teach using a combination of powerpoint presentations, detailed notes and one-to-one tutorials. However, everyone learns differently and I'm happy to adapt to any tutee's needs.
Additional rate to cover any travel expenses
- Visiting researcher - Department of Experimental Medicine, UCL, 2019
- Academic foundation doctor, Bart's and the London School of Medicine, 2017-2019
- Visiting research associate - Centre for Cancer research and Cell biology, 2017
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Obstetrics (MB BCh BaO) - Queen's University Belfast, 2017
- Bachelor of Science in Molecular Medicine with First Class Honours (BSc Hons) - University of Leeds, 2015
- President of the United Kingdom Medical Student Association (UKMSA)
- Chapter President of the American Academy of Neurology and President of QUB's Neurological Society
- Honorary Academic Visitor – Leeds Institute of Cancer and Pathology (2015/2016)
- UK and Ireland blogger for LABIOTECH Europe
- Recipient of the Royal College of Radiologist’s research bursary (2017)
- Recipient of the Pathological Society's research bursary (2015)
- Recipient of the Jeans Shanks Intercalated Award (2015)
- Recipient of Queen’s University Belfast Special Research Scholarship for the Wellcome Trust-Wolfson Northern Ireland Clinical Research Facility Summer Studentship (2014)
- Recipient of Nuffield summer research scholarship (2013)
Perfect! Great help! excellent at explaining comments i was unsure about. Thanks again
Suzan had a very defined idea of what she wanted from the sessions. She was prompt in responding and was keen to explore the subject matter.
Perfect! Fantastic teaching skills very likeable and clever
Annie has very realistic goals that she wants to achieve from her lessons and is keen to engage. She shows initiative and is keen to prepare coursework/dissertation well in advance. This proactive mentality will serve her well in future study/employment.
Excellent! Dr Michael is an excellent tutor and he is able to help in a postgraduate level. He identified and clarified some problems that I was having with my biostatistics assignment. Thanks.
Aleixo knew what he wanted to achieve with his session and was great to work with!
Perfect! Michael helped me prepare for my physiology exam. He has a great knowledge about the subject and makes difficult concepts easy to understand. He's organised, patient and very friendly. Overall I think he's an excellent tutor can't recommend him enough! Thank you Dr. Michael! :)
Perfect! Michael was an excellent teacher, taking the time to clearly explain each problem we went through and laying out a strategy so I could continue learning in my own time. He came very well prepared and I highly recommend him as a teacher.
Perfect! Michael is really enthusiastic and great at making concepts easier to understand. He has an excellent
knowledge of everything he is teaching and makes the lessons enjoyable too. Thanks for your help!
Blathnaid is keen to learn and an enthusiastic student. I've enjoyed our sessions so far and look forward to future session and securing her the mark she deserves in her coming exam.
Doctor Michael was very helpful for preparing for exams
I have worked alongside Michael as a junior doctor. He is very diligent, knowledgeable and very involved with the teaching of more junior medical peers and medical students. I thoroughly recommend him!
Michael has been a great help with my coursework and exam prep. He's always happy to help and is easy to get in contact with over skype or help with work remotely over email. I really appreciate the notes and feedback he gives. Thanks again, Dr Michael.
Dr Michael has been a big help with my SJT revision and preparation for my medical finals. He is a easy-to-talk to and has an amazing baseline of knowledge. I would 100% recommend!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|