My approach to teaching composition depends entirely on the student’s aims and interests, so the lessons can be tailored around whatever the student wants to focus on. For example, composition lessons can involve doing creative and technical exercises, listening and analysis or working on a particular piece. My aim is not to try and teach a student to follow one particular method of composition, but to try and build upon their knowledge and abilities based upon their unique interests.
For music theory I will take a different approach depending on what the student is aiming for. If the aim is to take GCSE, A-Level, ABRSM or Trinity exams, an effective strategy is to study using past exam papers, so the subject areas and techniques are more focused towards a certain style. If the student is interested in a wider scope of music theory and history, a personally tailored course would be more suitable, by looking into specific musical styles and pieces to analyse which are of interest to the student.
I have had a variety of teaching experience over the past 6 years, including:
- A year-long internship in the composition department at The Purcell School
- Voluntary positions in workshop projects such as ‘Go Compose!’, run by Sound and Music
- Private lessons in composition, music theory, piano and guitar
- Volunteering at The Charter School as a teaching assistant in composition classes for GCSE and A-level students
I am a British composer, born and educated in London, having recently graduated from Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance with a first class degree in composition. I specialise in composing contemporary classical music, both instrumental and electronic and alongside my classical training I have had experience both playing jazz trumpet and writing music for jazz ensembles, whilst also working on other projects involving, dance, film, performance art, bands and commercial advertising.
My compositional approach varies for each particular project and I work on creating a unique language and structure which are closely tied to the subject matter or starting materials. So far my work has been used for a variety of performance settings, from conventional concerts to mixed art forms and installations.
I am based in Herne Hill, but can usually travel to meet students depending on the location. I also have obtained an enhanced DBS certificate.
LESSON CANCELLATION POLICY
- Cancellation of a lesson must be made at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled lesson time in order to reschedule a lesson. This includes leaving messages on the answering machine or eMail.
- No shows or failure to notify within 24 hours is considered a forfeited lesson and will be charged in full
- If you know of dates ahead of time where you/your child cannot make a lesson, please notify when booking/paying for your lessons.
- There are no refunds on unused or missed lessons.
- Should you decide to stop taking lessons altogether, please give 2 lessons notice.
- The Charter School - 2005-2012
- Goldsmiths University (Short Courses) - 2012-2013:
(Music History and Analysis, Analysis for Composition, Compose and Perform, Musicianship for Classical Music, Performance Ensemble)
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance - BMus Composition - 2014-2018
- BMus Composition: First Class Honours
- ‘A’ Level: Music A, Maths C, Physics C
- ‘AS’ Art A
- GCSE: Chemistry A*, Biology A, History A, English B, English Literature B
- ABRSM Music Theory: Grade 6
- ABRSM Piano: Grade 8
- ABRSM Jazz Trumpet: Grade 5
- 1 Year internship in the Composition department at The Purcell School
- Teaching assistant for ‘Go Compose’ workshops with Sound and Music Tutoring beginners in guitar and piano
- Tutoring composition and music theory privately
- Composing music for short online commercials (Tundra*)
- Composing music for Jo Cox Foundation commercial (Annex Films)
- Composing music for short documentary film (Stay Still Productions)
- Worked on location for a pop promo for the Stereophonics
- Pin drop and De Lane Lea, post production sound design audio sessions
- Beetroot Music recording studio and media composition
- Shadowing Paul Englishby at Chichester Festival Theatre
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music theory lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, composition lessons for all!
Taking musicology lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|