I like to focus my sessions on supporting Pupils with their academic work and areas of interest, refining their strengths and supporting them with areas they find more challenging. I also encourage people I work with to make requests as to what they want to work on and am more them happy to provide extra support with any school work. I also try looking at different topics in a variety of ways.
As well as working through written work and curriculum based exercises, I like to use discussion based reading sessions looking at a variety texts and discussions to help pupils develop their critical reading and comprehension skills. We will do this with texts on the curriculum but also looking at different materials from literature, the media, music and film that interests who I'm working with.
We will also use a variety of written exercises focusing on creative writing, writing to persuade, planning and essay structure, again depending on the needs of the individual pupil.This makes sessions more enjoyable for all involved and also allows pupils to explore their interests whilst honing crucial academic and communication skills. It also ensures the pupils are better motivated, which inevitably means better results with their studies and also encourage more independent learning. I believe this approach provides a more solid and enjoyable learning experience.
I have worked as a supply teacher since graduating in 2014 and have worked with hundreds of pupils providing support with Humanities curriculum for pupils from KS2 through to A level. I have extensive experience with the current national curriculum and delivering one on one and group sessions for secondary and primary school students.
My experience as an English and history graduate and as a writer for local arts and cultural magazine great central means I can provide support with areas including Reading skills,Literature, Poetry , creative writing and essay writing. I can also provide tailored tuitions for exam preparation and coursework in ways that are effective and fun.
Rates remain the same regardless of pupil level. I will also consider pupils outside my requested area however their maybe an additional £5.00 charge to cover petrol dependant on circumstance. No cancellation fees are required however please let me know as soon as possible.
Career Objective; Dedicated, personable communicator and effective team player. Background in English, History, Music and the Arts, with experience working as a Cover Supervisor and Teaching Assistant. Looking to utilise skills gained from employment in teaching and my academic background, to make a positive impact to pupil learning.
Current Employment:- Cover Supervisor, Aspire People; April-June 2015, September 2016-Present;
•Extensive experience as a cover supervisor implementing lessons in a wide variety of subjects in the absence of regular staff in schools around Leicestershire and the West Midlands.
• Devised cover lessons if one was not provided using classroom management techniques and pre-prepared lesson structures to deliver effective and enjoyable lessons.
Previous Employment:- ABA Tutor LSA; Leicestershire County Council; August 2017-February 2018;
• Provided one on one support to two profoundly autistic children, enabling access to mainstream curriculum and implementing bespoke differentiated programs
• Completed 40 hour RBT training outlining the theory and practices behind applied behavioural analysis
• Created classroom materials and activities designed to improve numeracy literature as well as communication and inference skills
• Recorded and filed data and provided detailed written and verbal feedback to staff and parents to ensure that pupils progress was properly documented and maintained
English Cover Supervisor, City of Leicester College June 2015-July 2016
• Worked predominantly for the English department providing short and long term cover and where necessary for other faculties.
• Used communication and classroom management skills to ensure all work was completed correctly, maintaining a positive learning environment and diffusing challenging behaviour.
• Completed long term cover for a senior colleague devising and implementing lesson plans and providing marked feedback for 6 classes of differing ages and ability. This ensured that students completed necessary work and that their progress was not hindered.
• Differentiating lessons towards the needs of specific groups and SEN and EAL pupils.
• Co - creating schemes of work and resources designed for key stage 3 and 4 incorporating text based, visual, interactive and creative writing based activities in accordance with national curriculum and Ofsted guidelines.
• Received training focusing on leadership based classroom management and learning strategies.
• Communicating with classroom assistants and mentors to ensure they understood lesson objectives and how to best aid pupils in their learning.
• Team teaching with colleagues and providing one to one support for pupils.
• Supervising and supporting extracurricular enrichment sessions and sporting activities.
Fitness Instructor, Fit4 Schools; January 2015-March 2015
• Worked delivering extra-curricular fitness sessions in primary schools around the Midlands for pupils aged 4-11,supervised, demonstrated and created activities, ensuring they were performed safely and correctly and accessible to all pupils.
Art Exhibition Sales and Administration Assistant, Images West Midlands; June 2009-Present
• Working for Images West Midlands, running fundraising art exhibitions in primary schools around the West Midlands.
• Cataloguing pupil’s artwork using the company’s database software. Working in adherence with standard Child/data protection practices and procedures adjusting documentation appropriately
Other Employment: English Martyrs Catholic School (Leicester Award’s ‘Tomorrow’s Teachers Scheme’); June-July 2014
• Worked as a teaching assistant for English Martyrs Catholic School in Leicester
• Received teacher training sessions outlining key elements of the national curriculum, basic lesson planning, safe guarding/data protection issues, , and behaviour management techniques.
• Planning and presented A level English lessons on Gothic Horror with fellow volunteers, preparing extracts and worksheets, using Microsoft PowerPoint and Word Processor and Publisher to do so.
Positions of Responsibility: Correspondent for Great Central Magazine January 2017- Present
Regular contributor to Leicester based Art and Culture magazine. Produce content including reviews and previews focusing on local cultural sector including gigs, theatre productions and multimedia exhibits
Secretary for the University’s Band and Gig Society (2013-2014)
• Organised and publicised events gigs and open mic nights, handling logistics and co-ordinating volunteers to ensure events ran successfully.
• Produced promotional pieces and gig reviews for the society which were published through social media and University paper ‘The Ripple’.
Degree University Of Leicester BA English and History-2:2- 2011-2014
Required an interdisciplinary approach, adapting analytical, research and writing techniques to fit different areas of each subject including medieval literature, post war to postmodern British literature, modern American literature and autobiography.18th century Political Satire and Anglo Saxon Monarchy and society. Developed good oral presentation, referencing, writing and proof reading skills.
Achieved a first for compulsory dissertation in English with a 2:1 average for English.
A Levels; Solihull Sixth Form College 2009-2011
History (B) English (B) Politics (B) AQA Baccalaureate (B)
Other; Tudor Grange Academy Solihull 2004-2009 10 GCSE’s including English, Maths and Science
• Hold a full clean driving licence since 2010.
• Computer Literate-Competent in MS Office applications.
• Personable and approachable, work well in groups and independently.
• Can manage workloads effectively and can produce quality written material to tight deadlines.
• Hold full CRB documentation.
• Grade 5 music theory.
• Guitarist and avid music fan, with extensive collection of vintage vinyl and alternative music.
• Founding member of Leicester band Kermes, performing and recording original material.
• Keen tennis player and golfer, also enjoys watching competitive sport.
• Long-term member of the National Trust and volunteer with Leicester Museums Trust.
References-Available on request.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literacy lessons for all!
Taking poetry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||Not available|
|5 hours||Not available||£80||Not available|
|10 hours||Not available||£190||Not available|