I have a degree in popular music and a master's in critical musicology; however, my teaching experience has provided me with the opportunity to explore and research the different subjects I have been required to teach over the years. As such, I am able to draw upon a broad selection of references and texts with which to appeal to the diverse interests of students.
I always ensure that I elicit as much information about the interests (or concerns) of learners, so that I can more effectively develop lesson content which is accessible to them. I encourage learners, moreover, to provide examples of texts and media which interest them, and that they feel are relevant to their study.
I have been a qualified teacher for over 16 years, and I have delivered a broad range of subjects to schoolchildren, 16-19 years olds and adults. My taught subjects include English language and maths (GCSE), critical theory (cultural studies), business studies, psychology, sociology, ESOL and music.
I have managed to instruct my learners to achieve level 3 qualifications (A' level or equivalent) at the highest grades, and the large majority of these students have gone on to study successfully at university.
Due to my strong research background as a master's postgraduate, I am able to offer academic support to in a variety of academic disciplines.
Rates will vary according to travelling distances, academic level, and the time required to research/prepare diverse topics.
Most Recent Employment (predominantly at South and City College 2009 – Present)
• Teaching Access to HE in Sociology, Health Studies, Psychology and Skills for Learning (Level 3) at Bournville College for over 5 years. Personal tutor for Computer Science group. Lesson planning and preparation, assignment writing, assessment and internal moderation. At SCCB (Bournville campus)
• Teaching Functional Skills English, Maths and IT assessing internal modules and Internal Verifying. (16-18 years olds)
• Teaching FS skills maths and English in Supported learning department.
• Teaching ESOL entry levels 1-3. Functional Skills English and Maths Entry level 3 to Level 2 and a range of subjects for Supported Learning at SCCB Bordesley Green and Hall Green campuses since November 2018.
• Teaching HND Public Services Yr2. Professional Development.
• Teaching international students on ESOL Summer School at Bournville College, including Russian University Lecturers and doctors.
• One-to-one ESOL lessons through Tutor Pages.
• I taught levels 1, 2 and 3 music at SCCB college in a range of subjects.
• I teach guitar lessons to a variety of student types (from young learners aged 9-14 to adults, including exam preparation).
• I have devised my own series of music seminars which I present to undergraduates and community groups around the Midlands.
• Music and Arts for wellbeing facilitator for BCAT (Birmingham Centre for Arts Therapy) for children’s groups, SEN and senior citizens.
• I teach and provide academic support for students via teaching listing websites including A level course and exam prep (Psychology and Sociology) undergraduate students and dissertation tutoring.
• Teaching Business Studies and Economics at levels 2&3 including GCSE.
• Supply teaching with Reed educational in secondary schools in Birmingham.
September 2003 - April 2006
Lecturer in Music & Music Technology
Duties & responsibilities:
Teaching level 2 (1st Diploma) and level 3 (National Diploma & A’Level) students. Writing assignments based upon specified course criteria.
One-to-one guitar, band performance, music theory tuition and pastoral care (1st year tutor).
Duties & responsibilities:
• Teaching level 2 (1st Diploma) and level 3 (National Diploma & A’ Level) students as member of fulltime music department team.
• Devising assignments and grading them based upon specified course criteria.
• Preparing course work for standards appraisals by external verifiers.
• First year tutor for up to 35 students providing learning support and pastoral guidance.
• Organizing and comparing at performance events/assessments in public venues.
• Helped to organize and accompanied over 30 16-19 year old students on a week-long educational trip to Barcelona.
• Organizing activities at various locations. Logistical management and liaising with local representatives. Often called upon to communicate in Spanish.
April 2006 - December 2006
• Providing cover for A’ level Sociology at Arthur Terry Sixth Form.
• Private tuition of students studying Access to Sociology course – students completed course successfully and went on to study Sociology at University (UCE).
• Private tutoring for first year Sociology and Psychology university students
research, essay writing and exam preparation.
• I assisted and supported students preparing for 1st year assignments and exams at University – research guidance, structure of perspectives and arguments and overall language tone.
• Private tuition for KS3 and KS4 students in English and other subjects.
Supply teaching for Reed Educational, Aspire and other teaching agencies.
Duties & responsibilities
• Teaching Music to national Diploma and A’ Level students at Stourbridge College, Hagley Road Campus.
• General subjects in a variety of Secondary Schools and colleges of Further Education.
• Improvising lessons with cover classes.
• Teaching in a wide variety of establishments throughout the Birmingham and wider West Midlands area including all-boys schools.
• Often managing very challenging class groups with severely disruptive elements.
• Acquiring school’s disciplinary procedures and implementing them when/where required.
• Locating difficult groups early on and changing seating arrangements when necessary.
• Delegating responsibilities to more difficult pupils.
January 2007 – October 2009
Teaching English as a foreign language in Barcelona – one-to-one and classes of up to twenty-five students – business classes and in-school classes. Teaching private music and guitar lessons.
Duties and responsibilities.
• I was responsible for devising initial assessments and periodical assessments of Spanish/Catalan speaking students.
• I taught many senior professionals, including CEO’s, Editor of Time Out, and medical professionals in preparation for training and/or conference in the UK.
• I taught mixed nationality unemployed students (from Chile, Cuba, Russia, Argentina among others) in a college in the centre of Barcelona I was required to organize lessons to suit the level and cultural differentiation within the group. The course was designed for preparing and supporting people looking for work and developing basic language and organizational skills as would be appropriate to day to day working responsibilities.
• All lesson planning and preparation was carried out by me and I produced 80% of materials in response to the specific learning needs of students.
• I coached and prepared students for both oral and written exams and my teaching methods often meant that I was in demand as a language coach for intermediate to advanced students, preparing their business English for conferences overseas.
• I taught a range of music/guitar student types, both children and professional adults from different national origins including Russian and North American. All materials were created by me and every lesson was planned to meet the learning needs and musical interests of each student.
November 2009 – June 2010
• I taught ESOL at Bournville College (15hrs p.w.) to home and international students. I was required to plan and provide materials for all lessons for the month long course (Finished 30th July, 2010).
• Provided teaching cover for IELTS groups – Lessons planning and delivery.
• I used various forms of assessment including initial assessments and ILPs.
• Provided cover for Access to H.E. English classes
Archbishop Grimshaw School, Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham……………1980 - 1985
GCSE - English Literature - grade C
English Language - grade C
Maths - grade C
History - grade C
Solihull Technical College, Solihull, West Midlands……………………………1996 - 1998
BTEC National Diploma in Popular Music - Distinction
University Of Salford, Salford, Greater Manchester……………………………1998 - 2001
BA Honours in Popular Music & Recording - 1st Class Honours 2001
University of Central England (now BCU)…….…………………………….........2001 - 2002
PGCE in Secondary and Further Education (Music) QTS 2002
University of Birmingham…………………………………………………………………2016-2018
Masters’ Degree in Critical Musicology – Distinction 2018
Intensive TEFL course with i-to-i 4 weeks plus online 40 hour contact course. including assessed teaching experience at training centre and school. 2006.
psychology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest philosophy lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, humanities general lessons for all!
Taking history of philosophy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|