I pride myself on an adaptable, understanding and inclusive style of training that draws upon years of experience in both professional teaching and acting environments. I have trained over 1000 students in different teaching environments, from 1-2-1 sessions to group classes, from beginner to university and professional levels.
Through my years of experience I have developed a method of working that allows me to tailor my classes to suit the specific requirements of the individual, always looking to hone the student's craft through specific exercises that will uplift and challenge. It has provided me with the ability to suit the specific needs of the client including confidence training, developing acting craft for theatre film and television, drama school preparation, self taping for auditions, monologue and duologue skills and a wide variety of practitioner based methodologies.
I currently teach screen acting at Met Film School on BA Screen Acting courses, have taught at Leeds and Northampton University and been the Head of Screen Acting at City Academy. I have also taught internationally in Athens, written and directed two full length plays in London, and produced and directed a short film that has seen entry into film festivals internationally.
I have taught practitioner based methodologies to a high level including Sanford Meisner, Konstantin Stanislavski, Michael Chekhov and Uta Hagen. This has provided me with a wide range of skills and techniques that I practically apply to my teaching, allowing the student to be exposed to different techniques in order to better their craft and achieve their personal goals. During my own actor training through university and drama school I have been taught by leading industry professionals, whose pedagogies have informed my own style and practice.
As an active working actor in the industry I can provide a unique and valuable insight into the current industry. I can inform and advise students towards, and through, their professional artistic careers and it has given me a huge amount of joy to bear witness to their successes.
Tom is one of our best tutors. They have a high-quality profile, verified qualifications, a quick response time, and great reviews from students!
I am an actor with over 12 years of experience in theatre film and television. In theatre I have worked in the West End, Broadway and regional and international tours. In TV and film I have worked consistently in projects for BBC, ITV, Netflix and feature films with international cinema release. I have also worked with acclaimed writers, directors and actors during my career including Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, Bill Nighy, Alex Jennings, Colin Morgan, David Hare, Neil Armfield, Stefano Sollima and Ben Chanan.
A full CV of acting and teaching experience is below.
- Travel fee within Zone 1-2 London: £5
- Travel fee outside Zone 2 London: £10
- Free Cancellation with up to 24 hours notice
Theatre Acting Credits:
- The Judas Kiss, Neil Armfield, The Hampstead Theatre, UK Tour, West End and Broadway.
- The Last Ones, Anthony Biggs, Jermyn St Theatre.
- Stuff Happens, Neil Armfield, National Theatre.
- As Is, Andrew Keates, Finborough Theatre.
- The Two Worlds of Charlie F, Stephen Rayne, Toronto and UK Tour.
- Antigone, George Rodosthenous, Michael Cacoyannis Theatre (Athens).
- Othello, George Rodosthenous, Germany Tour.
Theatre, Film and Television Acting Credits:
- The Happy Prince, Rupert Everett, Lionsgate.
- The Capture, Ben Chanan, BBC.
- Sex Education, Kate Herron, Netflix.
- Call The Midwife, Jamie Payne, BBC.
- No Remorse, Stefano Sollima, Paramount.
- Eastenders, Connor Morrisey, BBC.
- Emmerdale, Connor Morrisey, ITV.
- Petroleum Spirit, Rob Sanders, Prime.
- Salting the Battlefields, David Hare, BBC.
- My Name is Lizzie, Niall McCormick, Channel 4.
- Obsession II: Dark Desires, Jamie Crawford, US Discovery.
Teaching, Writing and Directing CV:
- Jan 2020- Present. MetFilm School (University of West London), Screen Acting tutor and lecturer. London, UK.
- 2016-2020. Acting tutor (stage and screen), writer and director, City Academy. London, UK.
- Jan 2018-Jan 2020. Head of Screen Acting, City Academy. London, UK.
- May 2021 - Present. Screen Acting teacher, Empowered Actors Studio. Online.
- 2019. Screen Acting lecturer, Northampton University. London, UK.
- 2018-2020. Guest acting lecturer, Leeds University. London, UK.
- 2019. Director (student industry showcase), Red Lion Theatre. City Academy. London, UK.
- 2019. Director (student industry showcase), Tower Theatre. City Academy. London, UK.
- 2018. Producer and Director (Age of Reason), short film. International film festivals.
- 2018. Writer and Director (Protection Road), Courtyard Theatre. London, UK.
- 2018. Writer and Director (Notes on How to Kill a Chicken), Courtyard Theatre. London, UK.
- 2016-2017. Acting tutor and Director. Drive Forward Foundation. London, UK.
- 2016. Director (Dear Care: I'm Leaving). Drive Forward Foundation. London, UK.
- 2013. International Workshop Leader. Altitude North Theatre Company. Athens, Greece.
- 2013. Assistant Director (Antigone). Altitude North Theatre Company. Athens, Greece.
- 2012. Assistant Director (Othello). Altitude North Theatre Company. Germany Tour.
Perfect! Every direction I get from Tom is making my acting more better. I love the honest feed back, I am learning so much about myself and I am more confident in my auditions.
Fatuma is an attentive and diligent student to work with who is motivated and ambitious. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with her and look forward to more sessions in the future.
Tom is an incredibly diligent teacher, and is always able to help with any questions/ problems you may have. He is incredibly reliable, and has perfect communication. He knows what he’s talking about and his professional background really reassures you, that you are getting some of the best insight and teaching possible from him.
Tom's coaching and advice on acting is incredibly helpful. There's nothing like getting insight from an industry professional, I highly recommend his classes!
Tom was actually recommended by another actor.
Tom has been helping me with self tapes and continues to create an environment where I am able to think outside the box with my scenes. With Tom’s help, I am always able to make new discoveries in scenes and I’m able to send more diverse takes to my agent.
Its great to work with someone that cares about your progress and isn’t afraid to tell you to do one more take when you’re confident the take before was “the one”.
If you need someone that can make taping fun and be honest with you about where improvement is needed, Tom’s your guy :)
My first ever acting class was with Tom, I never looked back, decided my current line of work and life wasn’t for me. One year later I’d got into one of the best Drama Schools in the world (Tom prepped me thoroughly for it) and the start of my journey as a professional actor commences...
Tom is a fantastic coach. He has led masterclasses with the membership I run for actors, which have been amazing.
His teaching is dynamic, focused, detailed and clear. The actors have always come away with real nuggets of advice to take their acting to the next level. He brings a clear structure to his classes with actionable take aways which allows the actors to continue their progress beyond the lessons. I would highly recommend working with Tom.
I was just starting off in a new direction in my career from modelling to acting and Tom was highly recommended to me.
My experience with Tom was amazing he really helped me to fulfil my new career with confidence , learning scripts and how to get into the character role for different types of acting.
Learning with Tom was a great experience that I enjoyed while learning .
Tom is a fantastic acting teacher. I went to live classes with him and he helped me to grow and approve. During the lockdown he took the time to give me feedback on my self tapes and he always goes out of his way to help by encouraging me to do more. I can't recommend him enough!
I've worked with Tom from early stages of getting back into acting to amateur stage shows and now in prep for professional acting jobs.
No corners are cut and you you expect honest clear guidance to really progress.
I can always rely on Tom to give me confidence and be dedicated to getting at my best with anything we work on.
Having worked alongside Tom as a tutor and shadowing a few of his classes I can say he is one of the most inspiring teachers I’ve seen. He always brings an exciting energy to his classes and devises incredibly creative and dynamic courses.
He connects brilliantly with the students who always book more classes with him. I would recommend anyone interested in acting to take one of Tom’s classes.
acting lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£30|
|5 hours||Not available||£150||£150|
|10 hours||Not available||£300||£300|