I have experience teaching a wide range of students, both in one-on-one settings and in groups, and students ranging from primary age to adult learners. My skills within Spanish particularly pertain to varying regional dialects - pronounciation and vocabulary - from European to Latin American Spanish.
In my classes I like to use materials that connect with the students, be it a particular book, poem, song or artist etc, and base the lessons around those to make them as engaging as possible. In some cases this is popular English materials in translation, however Latin American literature and music in particular is becoming increasingly accessible.
Most importantly, the way I structure my classes depends on the needs of the student(s) and remain flexible to the particular areas a student may struggle in, working out what about that area is difficult for them and finding ways to make it more accessible.
I am a recent graduate of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American studies from the University of Liverpool. I began tutoring in Spanish at first as a teaching assistant at the age of 17, following an exchange year living in the Dominican Republic. I assisted with year 9 classes and also casually gave private tutoring for one year.
My most recent teaching experience was as an English language and culture assistant at an institute in Argentina, where I worked and lived for 3 months
If you need to cancel a class, please notify me at least 5 hours in advance
I am a graduate of the University of Liverpool in Hispanic Studies. Prior to Sixth Form I spent a year living with a host family and studying in the Dominican Republic, and throughout the duration of my degree I spent time living, studying and working in Argentina, Brazil as part of my year abroad, before returning to the Dominican Republic for voluntary work. Whilst attending the University of Liverpool I held positions on a number of society committees.
Education and qualifications
2014 – 2018 University of Liverpool
BA Hispanic Studies – 2:1
Modules including advanced translation and interpretation (simultaneous and consecutive)
2007 – 2011, 2012 – 2014 Harrogate Grammar School
A Levels: Spanish (A), English Literature (A), French (B), and Theatre Studies (C)
GCSEs: 12 (3A*, 6A, 1B, 2C) including English, Spanish and French
September 2013 – May 2016: FOH Team Member, Wagamama (Liverpool One and Harrogate)
- This is a role that entailed waiting tables, working at the bar and preparing desserts and hosting, as well as opening and closing the restaurant (this included cleaning and food prep).
December 2016 – March 2017: Support Team Member, AFS (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
- Responsibilities included co-ordinating with students in regards to their general experience and language development, acting as a support councillor at camps and co-ordinating with other international AFS offices.
March 2017 – June 2017: Teaching Assistant, Alex Road School of English – Teach Argentina (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- This was a small institute in which I worked closely with students, sometimes as an assistant, sometimes preparing and teaching classes and sometimes in one-on-one tutoring sessions.
- As part of my responsibilities with Teach Argentina I was also a camp councillor for English immersion camps for Argentine school groups of varying ages. This involved running craft and sports activities, as well as teaching life skills in English
- My time in both Hispanic and Lusophone countries has developed my communication skills in a number of ways, as I have spent time in those countries as a student and an employee.
- Working in the AFS support office, my main responsibility was checking in on all the students, all from a variety of countries with varying levels of fluency in both English and Spanish. It was important to both understand their needs and communicate effectively to see that they were met.
- As well as the language skills cultivated through my degree, my fluency was further developed during my time living abroad.
- Through my degree I focused mainly on European Spanish and Portuguese; however, my time spent in Brazil, Argentina and the Dominican Republic has also afforded me significant fluency in Latin American dialects and grammar structures.
- Working in a high-pressure restaurant environment I became used to adapting quickly to new situations, and developed creative problem-solving skills in the face of new difficulties to try produce the best possible outcome for customers.
- As both a support team member and as a teaching assistant I often had to adapt my work to the specific needs of those students under my responsibility.
Other skills & interests
- President of University of Liverpool Harry Potter Society 2014 – 2016, 2017 – 2018, a role in which I organised social events, fundraisers and collaborative events with other societies.
- I have also held positions on the committees for Spanish Society, LGBT Society and Circus Society.
- Whilst I do not have qualified TEFL status, I received TEFL training through Teach Argentina
- As well as work with AFS in the support office I have done general voluntary work with the organisation in Brazil and the Dominican Republic.
- Through AFS I have also had the opportunity to attend Volunteer Summer Summits (EFIL), during which I attended workshops on diversity, leadership, communication and organisation amongst others.
- Experience as a Spanish teaching assistant during Sixth Form
- I am also part of a podcast, for which I run the social media accounts and have experience with audio editing
Jasmine has a passion for the Spanish language and this comes through with her superb knowledge and warm and enthusiastic personality. Highly recommended!
spanish lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - spanish lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - spanish lessons for all!
Taking vocabulary - spanish lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||£70||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||£135||£150|