I am a year 13 student who has just finished college with a view to studying Classics at Durham next year. I tend to focus on the language side of Classics as this is something which teachers can go over very quickly. Primarily I go through past paper resources and teach my students how to approach different questions and in general improve their translation skills. I also design and write exercises to target specific weaknesses which I can spot or have been told about. I am very focused and aim to make the most out of each lesson as I find it is a rewarding experience to see someone improve under your teaching.
I have tutored GCSE students in a group of around 4 just during lunch time periods to get them back on track with their workload in class. I also tutor a GCSE student 1 to 1 who is about to finish with their final Classics exam. When I first started tutoring with my 1 to 1 student, he was working at a D grade in Greek and a C grade in Latin. He is currently set to get an A* in Latin and a high A to low A* in Greek thanks to several lessons during the school year.
I am a highly motivated and hardworking individual, who has recently completed their GCSEs and AS levels, and received excellent grades in these exams. I am looking for work experience in order to have a source of income and develop certain skills.
I am eager to learn and develop personal skills in a practical setting. I am currently undertaking my final year of college and have a conditional offer to study Classics at Durham.
Key Skills and Attributes
• Analytical train of thought
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, developed through essay writing and class discussions
• Ability to assess a situation and use my logical thinking in order to find a solution
• Enthusiastic and keen to get involved in projects
• Proficiency in all areas of Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Calm and collected and able to work well under pressure
• Responsible and reliable
• Positive and easy to get on with
Colchester Royal Grammar School
(2010 – 2015)
6 A*s and 6 As
(2015 – 2017)
AS Grades: 3 As and 1B Predicted A2 Grades: 2 A*s and 2 As
Hobbies & Interests
I enjoy ball sports in general but I play football and attend the gym regularly. I also like watching interesting films and socialising with my friends.
I like travelling to different places and experiencing the culture and the food.
Latin and Ancient Greek Tutor for GCSE student (Winter 2016 and Spring 2017)
• Improved my ability to relay information to increase my student’s understanding
• Brought out my creativity by keeping lessons exciting but still focused
• Achieved dramatic improvement in my student’s grades
Customer service assistant at the Co-operative (Winter 2015)
• Developed a clear method towards setting time constraints
• Interacted well with customers and provided them with the necessary help
• Learned how to use a cash till
Part-time assistant in charity shop, OXFAM (2014)
• Ability to arrange window and shelf displays
• Customer interaction while operating the cash machine
• Developed analytical skills while sorting price and category of products and taking stock
• Helped with setting up a digital stock taking system
Verbal reasoning tutor for 11+ candidate (Spring and Winter 2013)
• Developed a sense of responsibility
• Helped candidate to develop life skills such as confidence and a calm approach to exams
• Learned how to relay information in an understandable way
Part-time assistant in local festivals, Skorupa Wagons (Summer 2013)
• Developed organisation skills under time constraints
• Methodically assembled wagons which led to increased sales
• Conversed with customers and encouraged them to take a business card and share with their friends and family
Jon is a fantastic tutor and has helped me to do so much better in my 2 classics examinations this year. Before studying with Jon I was achieving D's in both Latin and Greek and now am very likely to be pushing for A/A* in both. He knows his subject area fantastically and has really inspired me to do better. He's encouraging, intelligent and personable and makes learning simple.
Jonny has been studying Latin and Greek for over 6 years, this has left him with proficient skills in both. Not only has he helped tutor me in the past but he also has taught several others that I know. As a result he has developed great teaching skills and fantastic interpersonal abilities. I would trust him to improve anyone's aptitude in the subjects that he offers.
english literature lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest test prep lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, classics lessons for all!
Taking latin lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||Not available|