My name is Terry and I am a full-time secondary and GCSE maths tutor. If your son or daughter is struggling or falling behind in class, I can help.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I specialise in teaching maths, key stage 3 & 4, ages 11 to 16, covering secondary and GCSE.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I've studied maths to degree-level. I have an honours degree in engineering from Brunel University, where I studied maths into my final year.
- How much do you charge?
I charge £30 an hour. When I travel to you, I charge £5 up to 5 miles.
- Where do you teach?
I teach from my home in Stevenage, I can teach in the student's home within a 5 mile radius, or I can teach online.
- When are you available?
I am normally available on Monday to Friday from 4pm until 8pm, and from 9am until 5pm on Saturday and Sunday.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach key stages 3 and 4 (GCSE), ages 11 to 16 years.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I prepare students for Secondary and GCSE exams.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I can provide online tutoring using Skype, which provides video, audio and screen sharing.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I am friendly, patient and organised. I adapt my tuition to the student's needs by working at their speed and finding out where they are struggling. I follow the National Curriculum as closely as possible, ensuring the student understands each topic and can answer every kind of exam question.
If the student comes to me early enough in the academic year, I like to cover the entire curriculum. It's surprising how much content students miss in school. Together we work through every method using lots of worked examples. I make sure the student is fully engaged the whole time with questions and problems to solve. I set homework and mark it during the next lesson. Closer to exams I set past papers for homework and we work through exam-style questions in the lesson. I focus on preparing the student for the exam until they know the material and are confident of getting good grades.
To make studying enjoyable, a tutor needs a passion for learning. I love learning and have always enjoyed mastering new skills. When the tutor enjoys teaching, the student enjoys learning. I am methodical, professional and apply a variety of teaching approaches to help students master maths.
An effective tutor needs good communications skills. I have the ability to explain complex or difficult topics in a clear and easy to understand way. I am a good listener, which is an important skill when teaching one-to-one.
Why would you want to work with me?
• I care about my students and want them to succeed
• I follow the curriculum and topics that need attention
• Together we answer questions and solve problems
• I ensure the student learns the fundamentals of maths
• I set homework and mark it with the student present
• The student's needs and parents goals guide the lessons
• I coach the student to enjoy maths and they often look forward to their lessons with me
- What kind of experience do you have?
I joined my wife's tutoring business in 2015. Since then I have taught maths to girls and boys at KS3 and GCSE, both foundation and higher levels. For my GCSE students I focus on preparing them for the exams in May and June.
In Industry, I gained experience of one-to-one and group tuition. As a software tutor, I ran one-to-one training sessions on PC software for clients. As a training instructor I designed and ran 5-day technology training courses for small groups for more than 5 years while working at Cable & Wireless.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
I am security cleared, which includes a criminal records check. I can provide a Disclosure Scotland Certificate if you want to see it.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I teach maths to girls and boys at KS3 and GCSE, both foundation and higher levels.
• Engineering degree from Brunel University
• I specialise in teaching KS3 & GCSE maths students
• I am security cleared and have a disclosure Scotland certificate
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|