I am a mechanical engineer aiming to teach at gcse level. My lesson plans would involve briefly explaining the basic fundamentals for a topic that the student is struggling with, then developing the understanding through a variety of practice questions whilst explaining the methodology behind each one. My aim would be to help develop an interest in maths along with the understanding. Maths problems can be solved in many different ways, I believe when someone finds the method that works for them the theory then clicks into place. Maths is a subject that can be enjoyed by anyone once they have the understanding.
I am currently working towards my engineering degree at Loughborough university, although when studying for my gcse's and a levels I received tutoring for English and maths. Therefore I understand the frustration of needing a little extra help, and know teaching methods that did or didn't work for myself.
MEng, Mechanical Engineering Loughborough University 2nd year result 2:1 2016 - Current
Key Modules: TAYLORED
Ripon Grammar School Years 7-13 2009 - 2016
A-Level: Mathematics A*, Further Mathematics B, Physics B
GCSE: 1 A*, 4A’s (including maths and all 3 sciences), 5 B’s. Also passed functional I.C.T skills.
Industry Based Project, Kohler Mira, (Team Project) 1/10/17 – 12/3/18
• The brief was to make the shower bar easier to fit for the plumber. It was our job to design a new bracket, then prototype and test it. After doing so we presented our findings to Kohler Mira.
• I learnt skills in research, design, and manufacture. The design stage involved multiple stages of development. To develop ideas I had to have a keen eye for detail as well as be pre-emptive of problems that could arise. Furthermore I presented initial designs and developments to Kohler Mira, which required confidence and clear communication to get my ideas across.
Computer Aided Design and Manufacture, (Team Project) Ongoing
• Designing a bracket on NX 11 and then testing it using FEA has greatly improved my CAD skills. It is a team based project therefore it requires me to have the confidence to voice my ideas and opinions as well as communicate them effectively.
Denso, (Team Project)
• This group project involved designing and building an automated saw using a Denso motor to power it. It required me to be forward thinking in my design with taking into consideration manufacture as we would then build these saws in the workshop.
• Building the saw required skills in the workshop using milling machines, laves and other tools. Furthermore, it gave me an understanding of problems which can occur that could’ve been prevented in the design phase.
• I also took the role of team leader where I chaired meetings and kept the group on track. This meant I had to be organised, with agendas prepared for every meeting. As well as have good time management as the role required forward planning to fit in with deadlines.
Remodelling of Skoda Fabia, (Self Project) Ongoing
• Taking apart and putting together an old Skoda Fabia is helping my understanding of how cars work. It requires me to be focused and attentive to where each part came from.
• I then plan to modify the car so it can serve its purpose as a farm vehicle in order to aid my father’s work. I am gaining strong design skills doing this as I have to prepare the vehicle for a certain purpose.
The Posthorn Café , Leyburn Waiter 2017 July – September
• Waiting tables and preparing food would require me to be efficient and organised when deciding the order of tasks to be completed.
• At busy times I would be working under high stress and pressure. Therefore, it was important for me have initiative when it came to completing tasks that needed doing before someone would have to ask me to do them.
• Meeting and greeting customers required me to be polite and representable of the business.
Horiba Mira, Nuneaton Design Engineering 2016 (1 week)
• Worked through CAD exercises using the software Catia.
• Shadowed a current design engineer. This gave a good experience of the design process and an understanding of the tasks I would be completing as an engineer
R.W Brown Agricultural engineers, Leyburn Agricultural Mechanic 2015 (1 week)
• Shadowing an agricultural mechanic allowed me to see how a lot of vehicles work from tractors to classic cars. I would be focused and pay close attention to detail in order to gain a full understanding of what the problems were and how they could’ve been prevented by design.
• I would be left alone to do services of Kawasaki mules and other common tasks which I had experienced a lot of in the first few days. This shows I am a quick learner and trustworthy.
Forest House Veterinary Practice, Bedale Voluntary Vetinary assistant 2013 September – March
• Working with large animals meant I had to be focused and aware of the dangers involved. Furthermore, I would be assisting the vet in everything from lambing to handing equipment. Therefore, I must pay close attention and be pre-emptive to what might be needed next.
• I would shadow small animal activities. This role required me to have good people skills as a large part of it would be helping a distressed owner. Furthermore I would look after animals that were in overnight, prepare dosages for drugs, monitor heart rates. All of these tasks required a trust from the vets that I had been paying close attention whilst shadowing.
Head of boys boarding Ripon Grammar school 2015/2016 Academic year
• I had to be an outstanding role model, support younger students and confidently discuss my opinions with members of staff. I organised activities like outwards bound which required a lot of forward planning and organisation. I also changed rules and assisted staff on duty showing humility to both staff and students. Managing all this whilst doing my A-Levels required good time management.
• To receive this position there was a vote from all years 7 to 13 as well as interviews in front of the governors and house masters. Showing I was trustworthy and respected across the school
Managing Director Ripon Grammar Young Enterprise Team 2014/15 Academic year
• This role involved me organizing a team of my peers to create a business. I had to be self-disciplined and motivated, whilst using my own experience and charisma to motivate the other members of the team. Organisation was key along with teamwork and communication. I managed to lead the team to victory through area and county levels of the competition.
When I’m not milking cows on my father’s farm, I enjoy playing rugby competitively and have been in teams which made it to the Yorkshire cup final twice. Captaining one of them. This requires profound respect from your peers as you must make decisions on their behalf as well as charisma to help keep your team motivated till the last minute no matter what the score. I am also passed my grade 6 on the drums, this required self-discipline to practice and prepare myself for the exam.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|