I am a PhD student who has a Bachelor's Degree in American Studies and a Master's degree in Human Rights and Global Ethics. The nature of my degrees have meant i am familiar with interdisciplinary studies and can apply a variety of theoretical perspectives to real life scenarios.
My techniques are very specialised to the individual and take into account different learning styles. I am able to use a range of learning styles due to the nature of interdisciplinary studies.
I have been a tutor since my undergraduate degree. this started as tutoring groups with my cohort as a course rep and during my master's degree i also started 1-2-1 tutoring with my fellow course mates. As a sixth form co-coordinator, tutoring students in various subjects and providing advice about higher education and studying tips has been a daily part of my job. I have ran over 10 tutoring groups and over 30 1-2-1 sessions.
During my year abroad in California i also volunteered as a local mentor who worked with children struggling in education. I helped with homework and also helped to provide motivation and encouragement to stay in school.
Education & Qualification:
2015 – 2016 MA Human Rights and Global Ethics - University of Leicester
2011 – 2015 BA American Studies with a Year Abroad - University of Leicester
Upper Second Class with Honours
2013 – 2014 Year Abroad - California State University, Long Beach
7 A’s and 1 B Attained
2009 – 2011 A levels - St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College, London
Sociology (A*) English Literature (A) Business (B)
2004 – 2009 GCSEs - Cardinal Newman RC Secondary School, Luton
11 subjects at C and above, Maths (C) English (A)
Relevant Work Experience:
September 2017 – Ongoing Sixth Form Co-ordinator, The Co-Operative Academy of Leeds, Leeds
• Supported the process of recruiting Year 11 students to the 6th form and interviewed and advised the students on appropriate course choices
• Produced promotional materials for the 6th form.
• Assisted with the examination process ensuring that students are aware of all relevant information liaising with the examination officer
• Worked with students to encourage them to maximize their potential through a range of strategies and support programmes.
• Administered any funding support arrangements for 6th form students and identified other sources of funding to support 6th formers financially whilst at Academy.
• Provided support and advice to students when preparing their UCAS, college or job applications. Also liaised with external agencies where required e.g. housing agencies, social services.
• Resolved any relationship issues between students and staff and advised the Director of 6th Form on all student matters
• Collected and collated statements relating to incidents and follow up when appropriate.
• Complied with policies and procedures relating to child protection and all aspects of safeguarding children.
• Supported the programme of 6th form peer mentoring and encouraged students to take responsibility by engaging in projects with younger pupils in the community
• Monitored the attendance and punctuality of students at Academy and in lessons and followed up attendance and punctuality matters by making home contact as per the attendance policy
• Communicated with all outside agencies who deliver projects, information or support to 6th form students including universities, financial advisors, Aim Higher advisors’ voluntary and community organizations and social services
May 2016 – August 2017 Partnership Administrator – De Montfort University, Leicester
• Assisted in the maintenance of curriculum data on UCAS, academic database systems and the University website.
• Produced reports to assist in the management and maintenance of student and curriculum data and to inform process improvements.
• Promoted a positive image of the department and University amongst prospective partners and students.
• Processed direct enrolments, for example, full and part time, international and FE applications (as required).
• Assisted in ensuring compliance with university and sector policies and procedures by developing and maintaining positive working relationships with academic and professional services staff
• Processed data onto systems such as CRM and QLs as required whilst improving data quality and sharing good practice.
• Assisted in the organisation and delivery of training events both internal to the University and to partner colleges, as required.
• Undertook key roles as required, examples to include note taking, servicing validation events and graduation ceremony duties.
• Supported the operations undertaken by collaborative partners to ensure consistency with the requirements of external agencies in the context of quality assurance matters.
• Provided specialist advice to staff within De Montfort University and in partner institutions to assist with the preparation of documentation
June 2015 – May 2016 Secretary to the Head of School- De Montfort University, Leicester
• Maintained administrative systems that support the work of the School Executive ensuring that deadlines are achieved.
• Retrieved/collated information as directed and assisted in compilation of reports and completion of forms.
• Created and maintained operational records and files, both paper-based and electronic.
• Liaised with senior staff both within the university and outside the university regarding a variety of matters, sometimes of a highly confidential nature.
• Maintained an accurate appointment diary, prioritising appointments and
bearing in mind any programmed events.
• Provided administrative support to a number of School and Faculty Committees’.
Positions of Responsibility:
2014 Leicestershire Police Commission: Selected by Chief Commissioner Sir Clive Loader and his team to be part of the panel to conduct interviews for an Ethics, Integrity and Complaints Board.
2012 – 2013 University of Leicester African and Caribbean Society Female Sports Rep: Organised sport training times, meetings and tournaments, and team selection.
2011 – 2013 University of Leicester American Studies Student Course Rep: Attended student staff committee meetings with any student queries or complaints, gathered course surveys and analysed data. Organised student study groups and provided 1-2-1 tuition.
Awards and Achievements:
2017 Best Campus-Based Dissertation Prize in the department of Politics and International Relations. My dissertation on Corruption and Race received 80%. My highest grade on a piece of writing.
2013 The Leicester Award: Personal skills development programme in which I undertook an extra-curricular challenge in order to develop key transferable skills.
2010 London Citizens Leadership/Money matters award Underwent a series of training session on how to be a good leader and how to handle money wisely. Provided training to the local community, and secondary schools.
Skills and Interest:
IT: Proficient with Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Communication: Networking. Teaching/facilitator experience. Ability to build relationships
Research: U.S. domestic and foreign affairs, Human rights and global ethics, Sociology, and Qualitative research.
Volunteering: Power 4 Youth Mentor, Long Beach California. Member of The Youth Commission, Leicester. EAL support at The Lancaster School, Leicester.
Current affairs: Global and National politics, Crime and Policing, Health and Technology.
Dance/Sports: Represented University of Leicester Cheerleaders in BCA competitions. Captain of the African and Caribbean Society Netball Team.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest general knowledge lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, sociology lessons for all!
Taking current affairs lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|