Always keeping my classes fun and enthusiasm based, sharing techniques and tips to give encouragement and share the symbolism in art and colour. Starting with warm up exercises and developing the skill of observation. Creating sketch books to encourage creativity.
I am a painter, having taught students here in italy, also exhibiting. I would like to pass on my knowledge to enthusiastic people to be creative. Portfolio preparation is a strength that I have and would be delighted in sharing.
I have worked as a professional artist, freelance, in drawing and painting and printmaking, prior to and following my graduation in 1999, from Edinburgh College of Art. At that time, I took the opportunity to continue and expand my art career by establishing working studios for myself and fellow artists. This, together with working to commission, sale of my artwork, and voluntary work with the Royal Scottish Academy, Visual Arts Scotland and Scottish Art Club, handling all aspects of setting up art works and exhibitions.
At present I am living in Brindisi, Southern Italy, where I am painting, working to commissions and taking inspiration from my new local surroundings, along with tutoring individuals in English and group art courses.
Summary of Education
· BA (Hons) Fine Art (Drawing and Painting) 2:1upper division at Edinburgh College of Art, Heriot Watt University 1995-99.
. Edinburgh College of Art Summer School for Anatomy and Oil Painting 1995
· Leith School of Art full-time, one-year Foundation Course 1994-95
· Leith School of Art full-time Portfolio Summer Class 1994
· Business Studies Course, Telford College of Further Education 1987-88
· Art, English, History, Mathematics, Arithmetic, French and Chemistry ‘O’ grades 1983
· Prizes at Secondary School for French Studies 1982
· Ordinary Member of the Royal Scottish Society of Artists
· Friend of the Royal Scottish Academy
. Member Visual Arts Scotland
· Two Year Bursary awarded by Craigmillar Opportunities Trust 1994-95
· SPORA Annual Trophy for each of the three years in which my work was entered: overall prize for Art
· Annual First Year Prize, ECA, for drawing and painting
· Annual First Year Prize, ECA, for glass design artwork
· Annual First Year Prize, ECA, for sculpture
· One work selected for the Annual Fourth Year Exhibition, ECA, Jan 1999
· Website Publication of my paintings via Coburg House Studios website
· Leith Initiative for Tourism website: presented Terry Smith Director with one of my paintings for Forth Ports Authority
· Leith Initiative for Tourism Information Pack Tour
· Leith Chamber of Commerce: My Presentation to outgoing President of the Chamber on behalf of Forth Ports Authority, of one of my paintings, in the presence of Local Government
. THE MUNICIPALITY OF SAN VITTORE DEL LAZIO group exhibition July 2018
. The Happy Prince paintings showing in Brindisi, Italy in Clan, Dec 2014-2018
. Solo Exhibition Brindisi, Italy, The Happy Prince August 2014
. Group Exhibition in Lecce, Italy, Association ……….. July 2014
. Solo Exhibition in Ostuni, Italy, Casbah Art Cafe May 2014
. Solo Exhibition in Brindisi, Italy, Da Gina March 2014
· Newhailes Estate, Scottish National Trust: Solo Exhibition, Nov 2004
· Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, May 2003
· Art in the Mall Exhibition, May 2002
· Ocean Terminal Exhibition, October 2001
· Coburg House Art Studios Exhibition, August 2000 to Present
· Joint Exhibition at Kailzie Gardens, Peeblesshire: Summer Exhibition 2000
· Royal Scottish Academy, The Mound: Edinburgh College of Art Annual 4th Year Painting Exhibition 1999.
· Edinburgh College of Art Annual 4th Year Painting Exhibition, Nov 1998
Summary of Employment History
. Registry & Archive assistant UNGSC, Brindisi, June 2015 to February 2018.
· Freelance Artist Painter, 2008 to present
. Tutor for Formavobis language school, Brindisi, Italy March 2015 to present.
. Tutor in English 2010 to 2015 L’ACANTO private language school Mesagne., Brindisi, Italy
. Coburg House Art Studios, Edinburgh: Proprietor 1999 to 2008
· Workers’ Education Association, Edinburgh: Art Tutor (day and evening classes, together with Annual One Day Events)
· Ravenglass and Associates, Edinburgh, 2003 to 2008 (Art Tutor)
· Edinburgh: Royal Mail – Apr 1983 to May 2004
. Edinburgh College of Art, Evening class tutor 2004-2005
. Leith Academy Community School, Day and Evening Tutor 2004-2005
Training Courses (Art)
In addition to the above, I attended many evening, day and weekend art classes and workshops prior to formal studies, as above; including animation, photography, printmaking and self-taught computer technology. I have experience of desk top publishing, ie Microsoft Word, internet and email applications, Windows 98, XP, Apple Mac and Office 2000.
drawing lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest painting lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, art and design lessons for all!
Taking acrylic painting lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||£75||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||£65||£150|