- Hourly rate £40
- Response Time 1h
- Number of students 6
South West London tutor with 20 year in the fashion, teaching FASHION, PATTERN CUTTING, SEWING, ALTERATION, WOMENSWEAR, MENSWEAR
- at their home
- By webcam
About the lesson
Our name is Olga,
I run group Create my fashion, and if you are interested in creating garments to your own unique shape you are welcome.
I've been working in fashion industry, with various London designers since 2000 and tutoring for more than five years.
My students decide what they want, and we do that. Their design.
Some wants just trousers, some just skirts, some just menswear in different fabric and style.
I want my student to enjoy the moment of creation their own clothes.
1. We take measurements and buid a pattern block, which is base
2. We cut it in calico to see if its correct
3. We do design/modeling from the block/base
4. We cut new pattern in desirable fabric
5. We stich it on domestic machine and overlooker
6. We press it
7. We both enjoy the moment))
All these time Im next to you answering your questions, guide/advise you and do it for you. So it easy, not scary, achivable, and pure joy)
Lessons I can help with:
- Machinery - domestic machine, industrial machine, overlocker.
Learn how to thread the machine, wind a bobbin.
Achieve a quality seam through machine control and overcome any sewing problems.
- Taking accurate Body Measurements
- Manual pattern making
Create a pattern block in your own individual size, basic principles of drafting a block and how to apply your personal measurements.
Draft a skirt block progressing to a bodice and sleeve block, trousers block to personal measurements.
- Making Toile from a calico and make alterations to ensure a perfect fit
- Bespoke tailoring techniques and methods.
Including invisible zip, pockets, a split, hems and yokes, sew darts, pocket, zip front fly and hemming stitch.
- Hand sewing techniques.
- Draping and modelling on the stand
A garment or specific detail is created by working directly onto a mannequin.
Draping is an important part of the design process, it is an extremely useful method to widen knowledge of design, shapes and proportions.
Produce a pattern from the drape.
- Work with different type of fabric, including fine fabric and lace
- Bones and corsetry
Make simple adjustments for a better fitting of a garment.
- Use of commercial pattern.
Use body measurements to choose an appropriate pattern size
Analyse commercial pattern instructions
- How to press your garments
- Creating collection
Lots of 1-2-1 feedback on progress to complete first draft, cutting and machining calico toile, sewing garments.
In the studio you can use our machine or bring your own machine
from beginner to advanced students
Available Mon - Sat from 9am -8:30 pm
1 hour lesson - £40
5 hour lessons block - £35 per hour
- Sewing machinery
- All Levels
Fashion Designers I've been working with:
Elizabeth Emanuel, Orla Kiely, Erdem, Deborah Milner, Vivienne Westwood, Cos, Ralph and Russo, JW Anderson, Roland Mouret, Victoria Beckham, Cristopher Kane, Lindka Cierach, Julien Makdonald, etc.
I still work as a freelancer within the trade, this helps me keep up to date with new styles & techniques.
- Kensington and Chelsea College
Pattern Cutter Distinction
September 2015 to July 2016
- Moscow Technological Institute
BA Garment Tech and Pattern cutting
1992 to 1997
Perfect! Very knowledgeable and encouraging. Flexible and tailors lessons based on specific requests (for me it was men's clothing). Makes learning a joy.
- Olga's response : David is keen to learn, how to make a men's wear. Pattern cutting and sewing. I'm enjoying, such a talented and happy person
Perfect! Olga is a great teacher and she is patient ! I would recommend her !
She is excellent!
Perfect! Olga is very patient and personable and makes our lessons fun! Definitely recommend
- Olga's response : Emma, love to make trousers, so we done her pattern and we are going to make many in different fabrics
View more reviews
- 5h: £200
- 10h: £400