- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach English language (including English as a foreign language) and/or literature; French, German, Italian, Spanish and their literatures; and the classical languages Latin, Greek and Hebrew. I also teach Music - theory, history and/or appreciation - and piano-playing.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have an upper-2nd-class B.A. in English and American Literature and French from the University of Kent at Canterbury, an M.A. in English Literature from the University of Sussex, a Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages from Trinity College, London, and the Advanced Certificate in Pianoforte from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music.
- How much do you charge?
My basic rate is £20 per hour for an individual adult or £15 for a child (up to and including the age of 16) or a member of a group. If I have to travel, I will charge an additional £5 per lesson. By mutual agreement, we may meet first for a consultation, for which I would charge £5 for an individual adult or child or for a whole group.
- Where do you teach?
I am prepared to travel within the Brighton-Hove area, but do not drive. Otherwise, I give lessons at my home, which is conveniently situated in central Brighton, just off Preston Circus and round the corner from London Road station.
- When are you available?
I can generally teach any evening from about 5 p.m. onwards with no seasonal variations, except, as a rule, on Tuesdays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach any age and level from the beginning of secondary school upwards.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I am equipped to teach English (language and/or literature) and other languages on-line.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I am patient and good-humoured, as well as intellectually stimulating, and will do my best for you.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have many years' experience of both classroom and one-to-one teaching.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
• B.A. Hons. in English and American Literature and French, University of Kent at Canterbury
• M.A. in English Literature, University of Sussex; Trinity College (London) Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
• Cleared by CRB
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest 11+ school exam preparation lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, classics lessons for all!
Taking latin lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|