I give lectures with theoretical contents and plenty of examples. Examples and exercises start from simple but important ones to more advanced problems. Tutorial questions are given to students to practice and meet for discussion. This develops confidence and expertise.
I am a lecturer in Accounting and Finance. I have been a lecturer on these subjects for over 20 ears. I have lectured to up to 350 students at a time. Maths and Physics were my favourite A level subjects.
University of Strathclyde:
1999 PhD in Finance
1989 MSc in Finance, awarded prize for the best student on the course
University of Liverpool:
2003 Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (HEA Fellow)
Addis Ababa University:
1987 BA (honours) in Accounting, with distinction
1982 A Level Equivalent Subjects: Maths (A), English (A), Physics (A)
Employment - Academic:
1. University of Liverpool School of Management, Lecturer in Accounting and Finance, 1 April 2000 to the present. Modules I have taught include: Advanced Corporate Finance (MSc), Corporate Finance and Valuation (MSc), Financial Accounting and Analysis (MBA); Dissertation (MSc and MBA), Business Finance (BA/BSc Final Year Undergraduate), Financial Statements Analysis (BA/BSc Final Year Undergraduate), Financial Management (2nd Year Undergraduate), Financial Management for Business (non-specialist BA/BSc), Etc. Where there is need, I can also teach Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Cost Accounting, etc. for specialist non-specialist accounting classes.
2. University of Manchester School of Accounting and Finance, Lecturer in Accounting and Finance, October 1998 to March 2000. Modules I have taught include: Financial Management, Financial Markets, Corporate Finance, Investments, etc.
3. University of Strathclyde Department of Accounting and Finance, Lecturer in Finance, September 1997 to September 1998. , Etc.
4. University of Strathclyde Department of Accounting and Finance, Tutor in Accounting and Finance, September 1993 to September1998 (while I was a student on PhD Research). Tutorial classes taught include: Corporate Finance I, Treasury Management, Security Analysis, Financial Statements Analysis, Portfolio Theory, etc.
5. Addis Ababa University Continuing Education Division: Lecturer in Accounting (Part-time), September 1990 to June 1991. Modules taught: Principles of Accounting I. Principles of Accounting II.
Leadership, professional and collegial experience
1. Director MSc Accounting and Finance, University of Liverpool Management School, Dec 2017 to Sept 2019.
2. Admissions and Widening Participation Lead, University of Liverpool Management School, September 2013 to July 2015
3. Director of Studies for the MSc Finance Programme, University of Liverpool Management School, May 2005 to August 2011
4. Director of Studies for the BA Accounting and Finance Programme, November 2011 to October 2012
5. Director of Studies for the MSc Economics and Finance Programme, January 2012 to October 2013
6. Admissions Tutor for Accounting and Finance PhD Programme at ULMS from September 2002 to August 2011
7. Member of Faculty Committee for MRes Programmes representing the Economics and Accounting Department, September 2000 to June 2001
8. Member of the ULMS Ethical Approval Committee from 2007/8 to 2018/19 Academic Years.
9. Appointed as External Examiner by the University of Kent for ifs School of Finance Programmes from September 2011 to December 2019.
10. Member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Business and Management (JBM) – ISSN: 2291-1995 & E-ISSN: 2291-2002
11. External Reviewer and moderator for Finance modules at XJTLU 2007 to the present.
12. Director for the Finance Department of the Ministry of Agriculture in Ethiopia from September 1992 to August 1993, Finance Division Head for Project Accounts, Natural Gum Processing and Marketing Enterprise, and Rural Infrastructure Development Main Department, within the Ministry of Agriculture, between June 1985 and August 1992.
13. Senior Accountant, Junior Accountant, Ministry of Agriculture, June 1977 to May 1985.
Research experience and knowledge exchange:
My research involves investment performance (initial public offerings, investment trusts, and unit trusts), capital structure, value of analyst recommendation, bankruptcy risk and equity returns, financial liquidity and equity returns, etc. Among the internationally recognised refereed journals, I have publications in the Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, International Journal of Finance and Economics, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting; Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money; European Journal of Finance, etc.
PhD and MSc students supervised (primary supervisor):
Four PhD students have completed successfully and three of them are holding important positions in universities one of them is holding a senior position in a financial market.
I currently supervise three PhD candidates. One of them passed Viva in December 2019 and two candidates are in their third years of studies.
Conferences attended for research papers presentation:
European Journal of Finance
JBFA Capital Markets Conference
British Academy of Management
CCPF-JIFMIM Special Issue
Member of British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA)
Financial System Expert for Shawel Consult International, on part-time basis, from August 1990 to December 1991.
Publications (most recent):
1. On the Investment Value of Sell-Side Analyst Recommendation Revisions in the UK, 2018 – Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, pp 1-37.
2. A Study on Trust Restoration Efforts in the UK Retail Banking Industry, accepted 28 October 2019, British Accounting Review, DOI (concealed information)
3. Capital Structure Adjustment and Market Reaction Following Seasoned Equity Offerings, International Journal of Finance and Economics, accepted on 13th of September 2019, forthcoming.
4. Investment Style Positioning of UK Unit Trusts, 2015, the European Journal of Finance, 21: 10-11, pp 946-970
5. The Relationship between Bankruptcy Risk and Equity Returns: Empirical Evidence from Vietnam, Book Chapter in Frontier markets, Elsevier, 2016
6. Selectivity and timing performance of the UK investment trusts, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 2012, pp 1149-1175
7. The Impact of Underwriter Reputation on Initial Returns and Long-run Performance of Chinese IPOs, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, 2011, PP 760 -791.
8. Long-run Performance of Chinese Initial Public Offerings: Further Evidence, Asia-Pacific Journal of Financial Studies, 2010, PP 285-316
Note: More papers published in refereed international journals before 2010 are available to present. Work in progress: a number of papers are at the stage of work in progress and are available to present. References: To provide upon request.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, physics lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£21||£15|
|10 hours||Not available||£190||£150|