The methodology for teaching will clearly be dependent upon the age of the pupil, style of music studied and the ultimate goal. i.e. if I am teaching towards a specific qualification / grade, then we would work within the structure determined by the syllabus. We would focus on correct hand position, posture, etc, and the resolution of the individual’s technical difficulties by way of example, detailed explanation, and the best approach for that individual student for the most effective practice.
My methods are student centred with us both playing an equally active role. i like to consider that I engage well with students building a rapport to enable them to express their own ideas and help them to discover interesting and difficult musical concepts.
For the study of classical music, jazz standards, latin jazz, brazilian or salsa music, pdfs can be provided, if the student needs it.
The fact that I am a performing musician working in collaboration with a wide variety of talented singers and instrumentalists means that I can breathe real life into musical pieces which is very motivational for some students.
In addition, my considerable experience working on cruise liners with different band formations, i.e. Theatre Orchestra, Ball Room Orchestra, Jazz combos, comprising musicians with different backgrounds and from all over the world is reflective of my excellent communication skills.
• Currently Resident Band Leader & Pianist on board Cunard's Queen Victoria for the Queen's Room Orchestra (January 2020 till present).
• Resident Pianist on board Cunard's Queen Victoria for the Queen's Room Orchestra (September 2013 till Jan November 2019).
• Resident Pianist on board Cunard's Queen Mary 2 for the Queen's Room Orchestra (July 2011 till June 2013).
• Theatre Orchestra Pianist / Keyboardist on board P&O Arcadia Cruise Liner (Dec 2010 till Jan 2011).
• South Birmingham College. Sessional Lecturer. Piano / Music Theory – Harmony. Piano tuition for students of HND/HNC and BTEC in Music (05/2010 to 07/2011).
• Express Music - Birmingham, UK. Piano Tutor. Piano / Music Theory – Harmony. Piano tuition for general public from 5 y/o to mature age (01/2006 to 07/2010).
• Wolverhampton University – Walsall Campus. Piano Lecturer. Piano tuition for advanced piano studies (11/2006 to 12/2008).
• South Birmingham College. Sessional Lecturer. Piano / Music Theory – Harmony. Piano tuition for students of HND/HNC in Music (11/2004 to 09/2006).
• Midlands Art Centre (MAC), Birmingham, UK. Piano Tutor. 20 or 30 minutes individual tuition for young people and adults at a regular time each week (05/2003 to 10/2004).
PERFORMING EXPERIENCE (UK):
• Jazz, Latin Jazz. Salsa & Brazilian Music Pianist in Birmingham and throughout the UK, since 1999.
• Played in Birmingham and throughout the UK with own Latin Jazz group, the Edgar Macias Latin Jazz Quartet/Quintet, which combines different styles, from mainstream jazz and hard bop to latin jazz and Salsa.
• Pianist with various artists in Birmingham and the UK music scene and international artists such as David Murray, Hal Singer (former Ellington's sax player), Wynton Marsalis, drum educator Jim Chapin, The Swingle Singers with Don Lusher, Jean Toussaint, Peter King, Alan Barnes, Steve Waterman, Don Weller, Bobby Wellings, Tony Levin (Tubby Hayes' former drummer), Simon Spillett.
• Worked regularly for Andy Hamilton’s band and accompanied then top tenor sax Scott Hamilton (USA), tap dancer Will Gaynes, violinist Omar Puente and trombonist Dennys Baptiste, among others.
• Toured Spain with Tito Gómez (former Ray Barretto ́s singer) & The Bilongo All Star’s (London based salsa band).
• Co-wrote and recorded the music for the short film “The Wild Party” which participated in Arts Fest 2006.
• Wrote arrangements for a Small Big Band and Recorded on the piano for one episode of British Series ̈Doctors ̈ and two episodes for ̈Land Girls ̈.
PERFORMING EXPERIENCE (VENEZUELA):
• Played under the direction of acclaimed conductors, as a leading pianist of the Moises Moleiro Philharmonic Band in Caracas - Venezuela, such as saxophonist Loren Schöenberg from New York (writer of 52nd Street Themes column in Jazz UK magazine) and Juan Carlos Núñez, Aldemaro Romero from Venezuela.
• Played with Latin/Pop artists from Venezuela, such as Evio Di Marzo, Kiara & Yordano Di Marzo.
• Played with internationally recognised Venezuelan & Latin American artists such as Toña
Granados, Arnaldo Pizzolante, Jesús Sevillano and the Puerto Rican Chucho Avellanet.
• Played with the Venezuelan Symphony Orchestra in two opportunities, one at the keyboard
under the direction of British director Julian Bigg (Musicals repertoire), and on another opportunity at the piano under the direction of Venezuelan Composer Aldemaro Romero (concert of his compositions).
Cunard. Queen Victoria Cruise Liner. Queen’s Room Orchestra (8-Piece Ball Room Orchestra) Resident Band Leader & Pianist (01/2020 to Present).
Cunard. Queen Victoria Cruise Liner. Queen’s Room Orchestra (8-Piece Ball Room Orchestra) Resident Pianist (09/2013 to 11/2019).
Cunard. Queen Mary 2 Ocean Liner. Queen’s Room Orchestra (7-Piece Ball Room Orchestra) Resident Pianist (07/2011 to 06/2013).
BBC TV Series Land Girls. Birmingham, UK. Arranger / Music Director / Pianist. Arrangement, direction and performance (recording on studio and acting role for TV footage) of incidental music for Season 3, Episode 1 for the BBC Land Girls TV Series. The arrangement comprised 1940s jazz standards for a small group and music hall / war time traditional tunes (Trumpet, tenor sax, piano, bass, drums). The recording took place early June 2011 under his direction and the TV footage was shot the end of june 2011 (06/2011).
Carnival UK. P&O Arcadia Cruise Liner. Theatre Orchestra Pianist / Keyboardist (12/2010 to 01/2011).
South Birmingham College. Sessional Lecturer. Piano / Music Theory – Harmony. Piano tuition for students of HND/HNC and BTEC in Music (05/2010 to 07/2011).
Express Music. Birmingham., UK. Piano Tutor. Piano / Music Theory – Harmony. Piano tuition for general public from 5 y/o to mature age (01/2006 to 07/2010).
Wolverhampton University – Walsall Campus. Piano Lecturer. Piano tuition for advanced piano studies (11/2006 to 12/2008).
BBC TV Series Doctors. Birmingham, UK. Arranger / Music Director / Pianist. Arrangement, direction, performance and acting role of incidental music for one of the episodes for the BBC Doctors TV Series (11/2008).
South Birmingham College. Sessional Lecturer. Piano / Music Theory – Harmony. Piano tuition for students of HND/HNC in Music (11/2004 to 09/2006).
The Wild Party Short Film. Birmingham, UK. Music Director. Composer / Arranger / Pianist. Music Director for the short film “The Wild Party” directed by Rosie Kay and based on the book by Joseph Moncure March and Drawings by Art Spiegelman. Co-writer, with CBSO violinist Mark Robinson, of the music of the film. Arrangement and piano performance on the recording of the soundtrack of the film. The music was recorded live at the Electric Cinema in Digbeth, Birmingham (06/2005).
Midlands Art Center (MAC). Birmingham, UK. Piano Tutor. 20 or 30 minutes individual tuition for young people and adults at a regular time each week (05/2003 to 10/2004).
Cunard. Seabourn Legend Yatch. Seabourn Legend Quartet. Medit., Baltic and Caribbean Sea. Seabourn Legend Quartet Pianist / Keyboardist (17/05/01 to 06/12/01).
Edgar Macías Quintet. Based in Birmingham, UK. Director & Arranger (03/2000 to present).
Orquesta Huracán Salsa Band. Birmingham, UK.Titular Pianist. (02/1999 to 10/ 2002).
Hotels and Jazz Clubs. Caracas, Venezuela. Jazz Pianist (1983 – 1998).
Venezuelan Symphony Orchestra. Caracas, Venezuela. Pianist for a concert Homage to Aldemaro Romero. Played under the direction of this Venezuelan Composer (02/1998).
Project “Jazz desde Aldemaro” Album. Caracas, Venezuela. Pianist / Arranger (1997).
“Jazzta” Band. Caracas, Venezuela. Recording of the Album “Angeles” – Music of Duke Ellington. Founder pianist of the band. Participated in the development of the concept and arrangements for the selections in this album (27 – 29/09/1995).
“Eufonía” Choral Group. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Accompanying Pianist. Concert for the Dominican Republic National Television Channel (27 – 29/04/1995).
“Moisés Moleiro” Big Band. Caracas, Venezuela. Pianist / Keyboardist (05/1992 – 12/1994).
“Juan Manuel Olivares” School of Music. Caracas, Venezuela. Repetiteur. Pianist for the singing lessons (Early Music Arias) and Opera students (1992 -1994).
Latin / Pop Artists. Venezuela. Latin / Pop Pianist. In the field of popular music accompanied several Venezuelan and Latin American singers throughout the country, playing in Venezuela and Colombia (1992-1994).
Venezuelan Symphonic Orchestra. Caracas, Venezuela. Keyboardist – “El Hatillo” International Music Festival. Played under the direction of British musician Julian Bigg, selections form Musicals such as Miss Saigon, Les Miserables and the Phantom of the Opera (11/1992 and 11/1994).
“Rosangélica” Soup Opera. Caracas, Venezuela. Double for the lead actor as a pianist. Pianist of the Piano-Bar. Acting role (04/1993 – 10/1993).
“Camerata Renacentista”. Caracas, Venezuela. Harpsichordist. Played harpsichord with this renaissance music group during the 2nd Music form the Past of The Americas Festival at the “El Ateneo” Theatre (21 – 22/09/1992).
Juan Manuel Olivares Music School. Caracas, Venezuela. Degree: ¨Profesor Ejecutante de Piano¨ (Professorship Piano Performance) (Classical Music). To obtain the degree, it required Preparatory level (one year) plus Ten (10) levels of one (1) year per level. The 10th grade or last grade (graduation) comprised works by Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Scriabin, Ginastera and Milhaud.. Studies included Theory and Solfeing, History of Music, Aesthetic and Harmony (1982–1993).
Recording & Music Production Techniques. South Birmingham College ((2003 – 2005).
MSc. In Integrated Management Systems. University of Birmingham, UK (1998 - 1999).
Degree in Electrical Engineering. “Simón Bolívar” University, Venezuela (1983 - 1989).
Spanish (Mother Language), English. Italian (working level), knowledge of Portuguese.
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point).
Music Programs: Sybelius. Band-in-a-Box. Transkriber. Wavelab. Cubase.
Travelling (Participated in the 7th Ship for World Youth sponsored by the Japanese Government crossing the Pacific Ocean from Japan to Mexico), Cinema, Art.
Spanish (Venezuelan Born).
Date of Birth
1st December 1965.
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest piano lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, musical keyboard lessons for all!
Taking synthesizer lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|