Written worksheets have never been the best way to learn, I will use different teaching techniques of games, visual, creative and interactive teaching methods that are best suited for the level and subject being studied. My teaching methods have included interactive classes with creative tasks and hands on learning approach. Online I can provide this as much as possible, with planned classes to keep on track to and tailoring the lesson to the students studies and requirements. Providing the student with teaching and demonstrative videos, interaction online, print out or digital copies of course work and exercises. However I do find that being able to see and do are the best ways of learning. Especially for animal biology and ecology studies, where I would encourage outdoor learning, nature hunts and using art and crafts.
I have assisted with teaching of very young children and at a university level, being able to tailor the classes to the level of learning required, however at high school and university we ned a level of fun which I aim to add to lessons.
I can provide support through the classes, giving advice and resources on report writing, studying, exams, university life and learning ability support. I have my animal assistants to help in teaching and emotional support.
I am a BSc graduate of Zoology, studying master’s in animal behaviour, I have been studying animal biology for many years having a keen passion in the area of ecology and animal behaviour. I have taught classes on animal ecology, with experience in anatomy, field and lab studies. I am able to offer tutoring throughout a zoology, or animal ecology related studies. Including high school and university. With adequate knowledge and experience in teaching and of the subjects. Aiding with the course material, exam preparation, field/lab work preparation and in the report/dissertations.
Being dyslexic, I understand the difficulties in being taught in a large class, having to take notes and working on endless worksheets and homework when you have a learning disability. i can help support students with a learning disability with the relevant resources, knowledge and experience in how to adapt learning that best fits you.
Tutoring at a high school level I can provide support with studies in National 5s, Highers and advanced Highers.
I can also help in geology, geography and physics studies at high school and 1-2year university level. With the relevant knowledge and resources to aid in these areas of teaching.
I have the experience and knowledge in a number of biology and ecology subjects, being able to help support a variety of students in topics they are passionate about. I have a keen focus on field work and pubic communication, using art and being out in nature to my advantage to aid in my own learning and in the learning for others.
I am patient and reliable, being able to provide the teaching support as well as the motivational support.
I am postgraduate student studying Animal Behaviour, with an interest in conservation, environmental and behavioural ecology. Having gained an honours degree in Zoology, I am passionate and eager to expand my knowledge and follow a career within ecology that I can help in conserving and rewilding the environment, safe guarding animals and plants. I am a confident team player who makes a conscious effort to adapt to a variety of situations. Hard working and practical with experience of working in retail and customer focused environments. I understand the importance of customer service and working both independently and as a team member. I have worked and volunteered in a number of animal and wildlife related roles to pursue my passion of protecting and learning about our world. Having the desired experience through my volunteering and education roles, and personal passion in ecology through drawing and camping. I believe I have the experience and attitude to make a good tutor.
• Full UK Driver License
• Leadership (risk assessment, organisation, care, communication)
• IT skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Field work, field studies and ecological study skills (mammals, birds, insects, scat, camera traps, geography and plant)
• Identification skills
• Data entry and digitisation (R studios, ArcGIS, QGIS, MATLAB, MAMVIS, Telemetry data)
• Animal Handling
• Gardening skills
• Plant and Gardening knowledge
• Animal welfare and ecology knowledge
• Lab work skills (Ecological, Behavioural and Geographical)
• Communication skills, written and verbal (Reports, presentations
• Independent worker and god team worker
• Ability to handle situations and to respond in a responsible and mature manner.
• Cleaning requirements and food safety understanding
2020-2021 University of St Andrews, MSc Animal Behaviour (present)
Modules: Research Skills; Biologging; Question of Culture; Communication Skills; Cognition; Mathematics and Statistical Modelling
2020 University of Glasgow, BSc (Hons) Zoology, 2:1
Honours- The Presence of Microplastics in the Eurasian otter (Lutra lutra) on the Isle of Harris
Investigate whether the Eurasian otter’s on the Isle of Harris, Outer Hebrides where ingesting microplastics by analysing otter spraints using vacuum filtration. Study was part of Remote Scotland Expedition 2019. Supervised by Dr Dominic McCafferty.
Honours Modules: Appling Ecology (Conservation and Management of Populations); Behavioural Ecology; and Tropical Ecology.
Subsidiary Modules (1st-3rd year): Environmental Biology; Earth Science; Animal Biology, Evolution and Ecology; and Exploring the Cosmos.
• Co-lead Remote Scotland Expedition as part of the University of Glasgow Expedition Society (2019). Worked in a team to organise the expedition and in fund raising where we raised awareness for the animals and topics we were researching.
• Co-lead research for the Biodiversity Monitoring (2017-2018), researching the small mammal diversity on the Glasgow campus and Garscube campus.
• 3rd year spent time at The Millport field centre and SCENE, learning about ecological studies including identification, surveys, learning field work experiments and procedures including bird ringing and electrofishing.
• Member of the Yoga society and the Life Drawing society.
• Member of the Mammal Challenge, aiding my friend in her mammal identification and data collection.
• Member of Heart start society helping with training and awareness at schools.
2016 Larbert High School
SQA Advanced Higher: Biology C; Chemistry B
SQA Higher: Biology A; Chemistry A; Physics A; Geography A; Art A; English B; Maths C
Extra-Curricular: Trash Fashion; Community Garden; Hockey; Eco Representative (2nd year) and volunteering at local ASN School
2015 Herriot Watts University, Nuffield Foundation
SILVER Crest Award- Project: Do Microplastics Effect the Clearance and Filtration Rate of Mytilus edulis ?
Investigated the effects of microplastics on the filtration and clearance rate on the Blue mussel, Mytilus edulis. This was part of the Nuffield Foundation where I assisted the study into microplastics and heavy metals on marine organisms in the Herriot Watt lab. The microplastics impact on mussels was individual project which was part of the work going on in the lab.
Awards and Courses:
• Food Safety and Hygiene Level 2
• GOLD Crest Award - Herriot Watt University (Nuffield Foundation).
• Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award
• John Muir Discovery Award
• John Muir Explorer Award
Aug 2019-Oct 2019 Volunteer at Blair Drummond Safari Park
• Aided in the care of the animals in the Pet’s Farm section at Blair Drummonds Safari Park.
• Worked with a number of animals, learning about the care and handling of the animals including food and nutrition, enrichment, enclosure up keep and care for sick animals.
• Visitor interaction, answering questions on the animals and park.
2019-2020 Remote Scotland Expedition Co-leader, University of Glasgow
• Organisation, teamwork, and fund raising for expedition.
• Report writing and presentations on the expedition and reports throughout the year.
• Public engagement through fund raising and raising awareness.
• Talk with the primary school on Harris.
• Making connections with IKM, IOSF and Durrell Zoo on the subject of microplastics and otters.
2017-2018 Biodiversity Monitoring, University of Glasgow
• Co-lead research project on small mammal biodiversity.
• Written report and talk on the subject to raise awareness of mammals around campus.
July 2016-Oct 2016 Seasonal Retail Assistant, Edinburgh Zoo Gift Shop
• Worked in the Edinburgh Zoo Gift shop working with the retail and admissions staff. Providing excellent customer service, operating tills, and stock handling.
• Provided information on the animals, talks and activities being held at the zoo.
Aided in the Dream Nights and the Pokémon night at Edinburgh zoo. Dressing up and providing a great experience for the visitors. Helped out in any activity being held at the zoo such as arts and craft events.
Sep 2015-Jan 2016 Farm Hand Volunteer, John Pollock & Son. Bonnybridge
• Assisting with milking dairy cows and health checks in the dairy parlour. Cleaning cow shed, milking parlour, calf 'nursery'. Feeding the calves and cows, working hands on to groom and care for the animals.
Aug 2015- Nov 2015 Animal Care Volunteer, Five Sisters Zoo
• All aspects of animal care in the zoo
• Assisting team leaders in allocated areas
• Feeding, cleaning, and providing enrichments for the animals
• Talking with visitors and answering questions about the animals being cared for
Jan 2014-March 2014 Volunteer Leader / Stable Hand, Riding for the Disabled (RDA) Bannockburn
• Leading riders
• General care of horses
• Assisting with cleaning stables and centre
• Talking with parents/carers and riders about lessons and horses
• Feeding horses
• Maintenance and organisation of equipment
• Working with a variety of diagnosis required me to have patience, empathy, and an ability to explain and break down instructions.
Summer 2014 Edinburgh Zoo Summer Science School
• Chosen to be part of the Summer Science School 2014
• Learned about zoo science from animal care, nutrition, enclosure design and behaviour.
• Underwent different tasks related to animal welfare and research.
• Learned about many different techniques in data collection and how they are used within the zoo and in the wild to aid in conservation.
• Worked in a team to form and undertake a research project on the behaviour of our given animal. My team studied the behaviour of the penguin chicks, looking at how their swimming and interactive behaviour with one another developed over time. First experience in undertaking a research project and learned many techniques on data collection as well as confidence for working in a team.
Nov 2011-Oct 2015 Practice Assistant Volunteer at Champion Vets
• Working on Saturdays and weekdays during school holidays
• Customer service: taking appointments, payments, and general admin tasks.
• Assisting with grooming and care of animals staying in the practise
• Working alongside staff to prepare and provide medication.
• All aspects of animal care in the practice
• Observing and assisting during consultations
• Observing and assisting during operating procedures
• Preparation of operating theatre
• General cleaning tasks as well as keeping the practise sterile and presentable.
• I learned how to deal with sometimes difficult situations in a calm and mature manner.
Jan 2011- June 2013 Volunteer at Jupiter Wildlife Centre
• Assisting in the care of the gardens and woodlands
• Aiding in talks and activities at the centre including lantern making, bat box making, wildlife gardens, bird watching, and all aspects of wildlife identification and raising awareness for wildlife
• Used creativity to think of new activity ideas for each month and in making information signs and posters.
• Worked with children and adults of all ages and abilities.
• Worked as part of the wildlife team to help with raising awareness for wildlife and in undertaking wildlife projects such as invasive tree removal, beach and woodland cleans, bird watching and pond dipping.
Other Work Experience
May 2019 – present Waitress at Poufowilis Manor Hotel
• Wait on tables, focusing on customer care and providing excellent service.
• Silver- service waitress in a busy work environment
• Taking orders, working on till, behind bar and on the floor
• Discussed menu items and dietary concerns, noted special requests and suggested starters or other additional items to meet upsell goals.
• Resolved complaints from guests by listening to issues and notifying restaurant manager.
• Cleaned dishes with detergent, rinsing and sanitising chemicals in three-compartment sink.
• Confirmed legal drinking age of customers and discontinued service to intoxicated guests to eliminate liability and adhere to legal restrictions.
• Kept tables neat by clearing away dirty dishes, wiping down surfaces and refreshing glasses or beverages.
• Communicated effectively with kitchen staff regarding customer allergies, dietary needs, and other special requests.
• Checked on guests to ensure satisfaction with each food course and beverages.
• Calculated charges issued bills and collected payments.
• Greeted guests in pleasant and courteous manner, aiding when needed.
Apr 2017- Mar 2019 Sales and Plant area Assistant Greenyards Garden Centre
• Working as a team and alone in the shop, stocking up and display of the shop as well cleaning of the shop.
• Responsible for till transaction, cash, and electronic payments as well as gift card/voucher payments.
• Face-to-face customer service and assistant, both in the shop and the plant area.
• Having basic plant knowledge to help customers with choosing and buying the right plants, pots compost etc for their needs and wants.
• Work in the pet section, have knowledge of reptiles, mammals, and fish care.
• Assist with bug and frozen food deliveries for pet section.
Can take orders for deliveries and enquiries, in person and over the phone.
• Capable of arranging plant and stock deliveries.
• Assisted in coffee shop with cleaning and taking orders.
• Can keep a level head at busy times, always being courteous and helpful to customers.
Jan 2015-Jun 2016 Volunteer at Summer School local ASN School
• Helped with the children in the ASN school with home economics and the shared community garden.
• Worked with children of all ages and abilities, helping them in understanding the task and making sure they are having fun.
• Helped with the preparation and tidying of class activities.
• Working alongside the teachers I gained better communication skills and team work skills.
Hobbies and Interests
• I regularly play table top games with friends.
• Regularly attend talks on animals, zoo science, veterinary science and the environment at Edinburgh Zoo, Café Scientifique and as part of the Zoological Society.
• Hiking and camping, taking the dogs on adventures and practising animal and plant identification.
• Enjoy drawing and painting, I attend art classes as often as possible including life drawing in Edinburgh.
• Our family has many pets at home, many we have rescued including rabbits and battery hens. I have hatched my own chicks which were adopted by my Bantam Galadriel, who likes to sit with me as I work. I want to be able to help and protect animals and the environment.
• My biggest hobby is gardening and indoor plants. The aim is for a mini jungle and having learned experience from the community garden I am hoping to grow my own fruits and vegetables.
biology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest anatomy lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, zoology lessons for all!
Taking geology lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£10||£10|