I have a PhD in molecular biology and I am an active academic research scientist working on cancer Moreover, I am an Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy teaching various biology-related modules to undergraduates/postgraduates students at the university of Sussex.
I have been giving lessons / lectures / seminars for the last ~10 years, teaching a large number of students (either small (n~2-10) or large (n~200) groups).
Most of my taught/supervised students have achieved First class-2.1 degrees on their respective courses.
Pack of 5h from home: £100 instead of £125
Pack of 5h from webcam: £85 instead of £100
Pack of 10h from home: £200 instead of £250
Pack of 10h from webcam: £170 instead of £200
2002-2006: PhD, ‘Doctor of Human Biology’ (Magna cum laude)
University of Ulm, Germany
1995-2001: BSc, Biology
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
07/2015-present: Reader (Associate Professor) in Cell Signalling
University of Sussex, School of Life Sciences, Brighton, UK
09/2012-06/2015: NIHR Senior Research Fellow – Group Leader
Imperial College London, UK - Department of Surgery and Cancer
08/2011-08/2012: Junior Research Fellow – Team Leader
Imperial College London, UK - Department of Surgery and Cancer
06/2007-07/2011: Research associate
Imperial College London, UK UK - Department of Surgery and Cancer
07/2008-09/2008: Visiting Assistant Research Scientist
NYU School of Medicine, USA
08/2006-05/2007: Postdoctoral researcher
University of Ulm, Germany
University of Sussex
07/2015-present: Supervising: 4 postdoctoral-, 2 PhD-, 2 MSc-, 4 Erasmus-, 9 BSc-
students and 1 Research technician
02/2009-06/2016: Supervised 6 postdoctoral, 3 PhD-, 6 MRes-, 2 BSc-, 1 undergraduate
students (UROP) and 2 Research technicians
University of Sussex
09/2015-present: Teaching various courses/modules: BSc in Biomedical Science,
Biochemistry, Biology, and Neuroscience majors, MSc in Cancer Cell
Biology, MSc in Genetic Manipulation and Molecular Cell Biology
05/2011-06/2015: Taught various courses/modules: BSc in Surgery and Anesthesia,
MRes in Clinical Research, MRes in Drug Discovery, MRes in
Reproductive Biology, MSc in Cancer Biology
Editorial boards and Peer reviewing
2017-present Deputy Editor of Oncogene
2011-present Member of the Editorial Board of: Oncogene, Annals of Oncology, Scientific Reports and Breast Cancer Management Journals
2010-present Peer Reviewer for research grants applications from Medical Research Council (MRC; UK), Worldwide Cancer Research, Breast Cancer Now (BCN; UK), Yorkshire Cancer Research (UK), National Science Centre (Poland) and others
2009-present Peer Reviewer for scientific journals including: Oncogene, Annals of Oncology, Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, British Journal of Cancer, Pharmacogenomics journal, Clinical Epigenetics, International Journal of Cancer, BMC Cell Biology, Breast Cancer, Expert Opinion on Drug Discovery, Medicinal Research Reviews, Plos One, Advances in Breast Cancer and others
Member of Professional Bodies
2014-present ASCO (American Association for Clinical Oncology)
2012-present Member of the Association of Union for International Cancer Control (UICC)
2011-present AACR (American Association for Cancer Research)
2010-present EACR (The European Association for Cancer Research)
Conferences - Invited Lectures
03/2016 ‘Alexander Fleming’ Biomedical Sciences Research Center (Athens, Greece)
Invited Lecture: Identification of novel druggable targets and elucidation of their role in cancer signalling networks
06/2015 EACR-AACR-SIC Special Conference on Anticancer Drug Action and Drug Resistance: From Cancer Biology to the Clinic (Florence, Italy)
Oral Presentation: A kinase-independent role for LMTK3 in chromatin remodelling
11/2014 Invited Lecture: Identification of novel druggable targets and their role in cancer signalling networks (University of Sussex, UK)
10/2014 9th International Conference of Anticancer Research (Sithonia, Greece)
Invited Lecture: Positioning LMTK3 on the map of oncogenic signaling cascades and elucidating its role in invasion and metastasis in Breast Cancer
04/2014 American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting (San Diego, USA)
Poster Presentations: i) Global mapping of tyrosine kinase signalling in breast cancer by combined use of RNAi and SILAC quantitative proteomics; ii) The expression of LMTK3 in high grade paediatric tumours: a preliminary study
01/2014 German Cancer Research Center-DKFZ (Heidelberg, Germany)
Invited Lecture: LMTK3: a new player in growth and invasion in Breast Cancer
10/2013 Department of Biology, University of Pisa (Pisa, Italy)
Invited Lecture: LMTK3: a new player in growth and invasion in Breast Cancer
04/2013 American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting (Washington, USA)
Poster Presentations: i) The tumour suppressive role of KSR1 in breast cancer’ ii) ‘LMTK3: a novel oncogenic regulator of breast cancer cell growth & invasion
06/2012 2nd International Conference ‘Notch Targeting in Cancer’ (Mykonos, Greece) Invited Lecture: LMTK3 is implicated in multiple signalling pathways
04/2012 American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting (Chicago,USA)
Poster Presentation: Identification of novel kinases involved in ERα signalling and the development of endocrine resistance in breast cancer
09/2011 EMBO Conference Series: Nuclear Receptors: from molecular mechanisms to molecular medicine (Barcelona, Spain)
Oral Presentation: Targeting LMTK3 to combat resistance to hormonal therapy in Breast Cancer
07/2011 Institute of Biological Research and Biotechnology (Athens, Greece)
Invited Lecture: Targeting LMTK3 to combat resistance to hormonal therapy in Breast Cancer
06/2011 1st International Conference ‘Notch Targeting in Cancer’ (Mykonos, Greece) Invited Lecture: Regulation of ERα by LMTK3
04/2011 University of Southern California – Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center (California, USA)
Honorary Lecture: LMTK3 as a New Therapeutic Target in Breast Cancer
12/2010 33th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (Texas, USA)
Plenary Oral Presentation: Kinome Screening for Regulators of Estrogen Receptor Identifies a Novel Kinase as a New Therapeutic Target in Breast Cancer
05/2010 11th International Workshop on Molecular Targeted Therapy of Cancer (Madrid, Spain)
09/2009 EMBO Conference Series: Nuclear Receptors: from molecular mechanisms to molecular medicine (Dubrovnik, Croatia)
Poster Presentation: Effects and functional consequences of estrogenic and anti-estrogenic compounds on AIB1 protein levels in pancreatic tumor cell lines
06/2008 33rd FEBS Congress & 11th IUBMB Conference (Athens, Greece)
Poster Presentations: i) The identification of new signaling pathways involved in Estrogen receptor α (ERα) transcriptional activity
ii) The identification of new tumour suppressor microRNAs epigenetically silenced in drug resistant cancer cells
12/2007 30th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (Texas, USA)
06/2005 8th Cancer Research UK Beatson International Cancer Conference (Glasgow, Scotland)
Poster Presentation: Casein kinase 1δ (CK1δ) activity is influenced by cellular factors
05/2005 27th Conference of Hellenic Society for Biological Sciences (Nayplio, Greece)
Oral Presentation: CK1δ activity is influenced by cellular factors
08/2005 FEBS-EMBO advanced lecture course: ‘Molecular Mechanisms in Signal Transduction and Cancer’ (Spetses, Greece)
Poster Presentation: CK1δ involvement in cellular processes
09/2003 3rd International ELSO Congress (Dresden, Germany)
Poster Presentation: CK1δ is involved in lymphocyte physiology
1. Wendler F., Favicchio R., Simon T., Alifrangis C., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘Extracellular vesicles swarm the cancer microenvironment’. Oncogene 2016 Aug 22. doi: 10.1038/onc.2016.253.
2. Wendler F., Stamp GW. & Giamas G. ‘Stromal vesicles: small bags signal big changes’. Trends in Cancer 2016 Jun 10; Vol. 2, Issue 7, p326–329.
3. Angelopoulos N, Stebbing J, Xu Y, Giamas G & Zhang H. ‘Proteome-wide dataset supporting functional study of tyrosine kinases in breast cancer’. Data Brief. 2016 Mar 14;7:740-6.
4. Nunes J., Zhang H., Angelopoulos N., Chhetri J., Grothey A., Osipo C., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘ATG9A loss confers resistance to trastuzumab via c-Cbl mediated Her2 degradation’. Oncotarget 2016 Mar 30.
5. Favicchio R., Thepaut C., Zhang H., Arends R., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘Strategies in functional proteomics: Unveiling the pathways to precision oncology’. Cancer Letters 2016 Feb 2. pii: S0304-3835(16)30021-0.
6. Jacob J., Favicchio R., Karimian N., Mehrabi M., Harding V., Castellano L., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘LMTK3 escapes tumour suppressor miRNAs via sequestration of DDX5’. Cancer Letters 2016 Mar 1;372(1):137-46.
7. Xu Y., & Giamas G. ‘The role of LMTK3 in chromatin remodeling and transcriptional regulation’. Receptors & Clinical Investigation 2015; 2: e1038.
8. Rampias T., Favicchio R., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘Targeting tumor-stroma crosstalk: the example of the NT157 inhibitor’. Oncogene. 2015 Oct 19.
9. Zhang H., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘The many-faced KSR1: a tumor suppressor in breast cancer’. Oncoscience 2015 Aug 25;2(8):669-70.
10. Xu Y., Zhang H., Nguyen V., Angelopoulos N., Nunes J., Reid A., Buluwela L., Magnani L., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘LMTK3 Represses Tumour Suppressor-Like Genes through Chromatin Remodeling in Breast Cancer’. Cell Reports 2015 Aug 4;12(5):837-49.
11. Zhang H., Stebbing J., Xu Y., Angelopoulos N. & Giamas G. ‘Reprogramming of the tyrosine kinase-regulated proteome in breast cancer by combined use of RNAi and SILAC quantitative proteomics’. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 2015 Jun 18.
12. Zhang H, Angelopoulos N, Xu Y, Grothey A, Nunes J, Stebbing J, Giamas G. ‘Proteomic profile of KSR1-regulated signalling in response to genotoxic agents in breast cancer’. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015 Jun;151(3):555-68.
13. Papanastasopoulos P. & Giamas G. ‘mTOR inhibition in breast cancer’. Breast Cancer Management March 2015; Volume 4, Issue 2.
14. Schofield G., Urch CE., Stebbing J & Giamas G. ‘When does a human being die?’. QJM 2014 November 28.
15. Zhang H., Xu Y., Papanastasopoulos P., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘Broader implications of SILAC-based proteomics for dissecting signalling dynamics in cancer’. Expert Review of Proteomics 2014 October 27.
16. Benhaim L, Zhang W, Wakatsuki T, Yang D, Gerger A, Bohanes P, Paez D, Loupakis F, LaBonte MJ, Ning Y, El-Khoueiry R, Ladner R, Wilson P, Zhang H, Giamas G, Stebbing J, Lenz HJ. ‘Genetic variants of kinase suppressors of Ras (KSR1) to predict survival in patients with ERα-positive advanced breast cancer’. Pharmacogenomics J. 2014 Oct 7.
17. Xu Y., Zhang H. and Giamas G. ‘Targeting lemurs against cancer metastasis’. Oncotarget 2014 Jul 25.
18. Xu Y., Zhang H., Lit LC., Athanasiadou M., Kiritsi M., Grothey A., Lombardo Y., Frampton AE., Green AR., Ellis IO., Simak A., Lenz HZ., Thanou M., Stebbing J. and Giamas G. ‘The kinase LMTK3 promotes invasion in Breast Cancer through GRB2-mediated induction of integrin β1’’. Science Signaling 2014 Jun 17.
19. Stebbing J., Zhang H., Xu Y., Lit LC., Green AR., Grothey A., Lombardo Y., Periyasamy M., Blighe K., Zhang W., Shaw JA., Ellis IO., Lenz HJ. and Giamas G. ‘KSR1 regulates BRCA1 degradation and inhibits breast cancer growth’. Oncogene 2014 Jun 9.
20. Melaiu O., Stebbing J, Lombardo Y., Bracci E., Uehara N., Bonotti A., Cristaudo A., Foddis R., Mutti L., Barale R, Gemignani F., Giamas G. & Landi S. ‘MSLN Gene Silencing Has an Anti-Malignant Effect on Cell Lines Overexpressing Mesothelin Deriving from Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma’. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 21;9(1):e85935.
21. Zhang H., Xu Y., Filipovic A., Lit LC., Koo CY., Stebbing J., & Giamas G. ‘SILAC-based phospho-proteomics reveals an inhibitory role of KSR1 in p53 transcriptional activity via modulation of DBC1’. Br J Cancer. 2013 Nov 12;109(10):2675-84.
22. Wakatsuki T., LaBonte MJ., Bohanes P., Zhang W., Yang D., Azuma M., Brazi A., Ning Y., Loupakis F., Saadat S., Volz N., Stintzing S., El-Khoueiry R., Koizumi W, Watanabe M., Shah M., Stebbing J., Giamas G. & Lenz HJ. ‘Prognostic Role of Lemur Tyrosine Kinase-3 germline polymorphisms in Adjuvant Gastric Cancer in Japan and the United States’. Mol Cancer Ther. 2013 Oct;12(10):2261-72.
23. Zhang H., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘The dual function of KSR1: a pseudokinase and beyond’. Biochem Soc Trans. (2013) Aug;41(4):1078-82.
24. Filipovic A., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘Cancer stem cells-therapeutic targeting or therapy?’. Lancet Oncol. 2013 Jun;14(7):579-80.
25. Stebbing J., Lit LC., Zhang H., Darrington S., Melaiu O., Rudraraju B. & Giamas G. ‘The regulatory roles of phosphatases in cancer.’ Oncogene 2013 Mar 18.
26. Winder T., Giamas G., Wilson P., Zhang W., Yang D., Bohanes P., Ning Y. Gerger A., Stebbing J. & Lenz HJ. ‘Insulin-like growth factor receptor polymorphism defines clinical outcome in estrogen receptor positive breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifen’. Pharmacogenomics J 2014 Feb;14(1):28-34. Epub 2013 Mar 5.
27. Stebbing J., Filipovic A. & Giamas G. ‘Claudin-1 as a promoter of EMT in hepatocellular carcinoma’. Oncogene 2013 Oct 10;32(41):4871-2 /Epub 2013 Jan 14.
28. Lit LC., Scott S., Zhang H., Stebbing J., Photiou A. & Giamas G. ’LATS2 Is a Modulator of Estrogen Receptor Alpha’. Anticancer Research 2013 Jan;33(1):53-63.
29. Lombardo Y, Filipovic A, Molyneux G, Periyasamy M, Giamas G, Hu Y, Trivedi PS, Wang J, Yagüe E, Michel L, Coombes RC. ‘Nicastrin regulates breast cancer stem cell properties and tumor growth in vitro and in vivo’. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2012 Oct 9;109(41):16558-63.
30. Stebbing J., Filipovic A., Lit LC., Blighe K., Grothey A., Xu Y., Yasuhiro M., Chow LW., Coombes RC., Sasano H., Shaw JA & Giamas G. ‘LMTK3 is implicated in endocrine resistance via multiple signaling pathways’. Oncogene 2013 Jul 11;32(28):3371-80 / Epub: 2012 Aug 6.
31. Yichen Xu & Giamas G. ‘Breast cancer and LMTK3: old disease, new target’. Breast Cancer Management. 2012 Jul; 1(2), 101-103.
32. Jiao LR., Frampton AE., Jacob J., Pellegrino P., Krell J., Giamas G., Tsim N., Vlavianos P., Cohen P., Ahmed R., Keller A., Habib NA, Stebbing J. & Castellano L. ‘MicroRNAs targeting oncogenes are down-regulated in pancreatic malignant transformation from benign tumors’. Plos One. 2012;7(2):e32068 / Epub 2012 Feb 22.
33. Zhang H., Photiou P., Grothey A., Stebbing J., & Giamas G. ‘The role of pseudokinases in cancer’. Cellular Signalling. 2012 Jun;24(6):1173-84 / Epub 2012 Feb 4.
34. Stebbing J., Filipovic A., & Giamas G. ‘LMTK3 and evolution’. Oncotarget. 2011 Jun;2 (6):428-9.
35. Stebbing J., Filipovic A., Ellis IO., Green AR, D'Silva TR., Lenz HJ., Coombes RC., Wang T, Lee SC & Giamas G. ‘LMTK3 expression in breast cancer: association with tumor phenotype and clinical outcome’. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 Jun 14.
36. Giamas G., Filipovic A., Jacob J., Messier W., Zhang H., Yang D., Zhang W. , Shifa B., Photiou A., Tralau-Stewart C., Castellano L., Green A., Coombes RC., Ellis IO., Ali S., Lenz HJ. & Stebbing J. ‘Kinome Screening for Regulators of the Estrogen Receptor Identifies LMTK3 as a New Therapeutic Target in Breast Cancer’. Nature Medicine, 2011, Jun;17(6):715-9. Epub 2011 May 22.
37. Filipovic A., Giamas G. & Stebbing J. ‘The potential role of cyclooxygenase-2 (cox-2) during early breast cancer therapy’. Annals of Oncology, 2011 Aug;22(8):1700-2. Epub 2011 May 6.
38. Yik L.M., Filipovic A., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘New and established targets for the treatment of breast cancer’. Advances in Breast Cancer 2010 Sep;7(3).
39. Filipovic A., Giamas G., Coombes RC. & Stebbing J. ‘Gamma secretase and Notch as therapeutic targets in cancer’. Advances in Breast Cancer 2010 Sep;7(3).
40. Giamas G., Yik L.M., Hirner H., Bischof J., Kramer K., Khan K., Ahmed S.S., Stebbing j. & Knippschild U. ‘Kinases as targets in the treatment of solid tumors.’. Cellular Signalling 2010 Jul;22(7):984-1002.
41. Castellano L., Giamas G., Jacob J., Coombes RC., Lucchesi W., Thiruchelvam P., Barton G., Jiao LR, Wait R., Waxman J., Hannon GJ. & Stebbing J. ‘The estrogen receptor-alpha-induced microRNA signature regulates itself and its transcriptional response’. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009 Sep 15;106(37):15732-7.
42. Giamas G., Castellano L., Knippschild U., Jacob J.., Feng Q., Jiao LR, Smith CL, Coombes RC & Stebbing J. ‘CK1δ modulates the transcriptional activity of ERα via AIB1 in an estrogen-dependent manner’. Nucleic Acids Research 2009 May;37(9):3110-23.
43. Mintz P., Habib NA., Jones LJ., Giamas G., Lewis J., Bowen R., Coombes RC. & Stebbing J. ‘The phosphorylated membrane estrogen receptor and cytoplasmic signalling and apoptosis proteins in human breast cancer’. Cancer 2008 Sep 15;113(6):1489-95.
44. Apostolopoulos C., Castellano L., Stebbing J. & Giamas G. ‘Bendamustine as a model of the pharmacogenomics of alkylating agents’. Future Oncology 2008 Jun;4(3):323-32.
45. Brockschmidt C., Hirner H., Huber N., Giamas G., Radunsky B., Ammerpohl O., Bohm B., Henne-Bruns D., Kalthoff H., Trauzold A. & Knippschild U. ‘Anti-apoptotic and growth-stimulatory functions of CK1δ and ε in ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas are inhibited by IC261 in vitro and in vivo’. Gut 2008 Jun;57(6):799-806.
46. Von Blume, J., Knippschild, U., Dequied, F., Giamas, G., Beck, A., Auer, A., Von Lint, J., Adler, G. & Seufferlein, T. ‘Phosphorylation at Ser244 by CK1 determines nuclear localization and substrate targeting of PKD2’. EMBO Journal 2007 Nov 14;26(22):4619-33.
47. Apostolopoulos C., Giamas G. & Stebbing J. ‘Clinical significance of circulating tumor cells’. Biomarkers in Medicine Oct 2007; 1(3):341-342.
48. Giamas G., Shoshiashvili L., Hirner H., Grothey A., Henne-Bruns D., Vorgias CE. & Knippschild U. ‘Modulation of the activity of casein kinase 1δ (CK1δ) by cAMP dependent protein kinase (PKA)’. Biochemical Journal 2007 Sep 15;406(3):389-98.
49. Giamas G., Stebbing J., Vorgias CE. & Knippschild U. ‘Protein kinases as targets for cancer treatment’. Pharmacogenomics 2007 Aug;8(8):1005-1016.
50. Wolff S., Stoeter M., Giamas G. & Knippschild U. ‘The CK1δ/ε specific inhibitor IC261 abolishes the growth of pancreatic tumor cells and sensitizes pancreatic tumor cells against CD95-mediated apoptosis’. FEBS Lett. 2006 Nov 27; 580(27):6477-84.
51. Knippschild U., Wolff S., Giamas G., Brockschmidt C., Wittau M., Wurl P.U., Eismann T. & Stoeter, M. ‘The Role of Casein Kinase 1 (CK1) Family in Different Signaling Pathways Linked to Cancer Development’. Onkologie 2005; 28:508-514.
biology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest cellular biology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, molecular biology lessons for all!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|